advertisement

Time for a motorbike list

I always fancied a Suzuki Cobra 500 two stroke twin. They looked very solid and were apparently reliable. Oh and a Suzuki GT 750 triple, in racing style, I saw one in Edinburgh a couple of years ago parked and immaculate.

I owned a Suzuki 380 back in the mid 70's and it was a suburb bike apart from a slightly compromised frame and rubbish shocks; not uncommon in those days. The Suzuki gearboxes did seem nicer than just about any other manufacturer, the few Honda's I rode were crude by comparison. I got to ride one of the big Suzuki triples (750) and it was so disappointing. The good points of the small triple were missing (smooth, willing etc) and the bad bits exaggerated (not enough stiffness in the frame etc). I really do not rate the 750 but think the 380 is one of the nicest bikes of that era.

I never got to ride the 500 twin Suzuki but remember reading a US review of one which was so full of praise for its simplicity and durability. This particular model had covered 40,000 miles, mostly in Baja, California. They decided to pull the heads and barrels off to check for wear and it was, apparently, insignificant. That is impressive for a 2 stroke, especially one operating in that environment. It was partly due to its relatively low state of tune and partly to Suzuki's excellent lubrication system which was far superior to Yamaha's (or Kawasaki's) of the time.

Passed my test in April last year, bought a Striple and headed to the Alps in July and managed to get some video of my week there. This is up one of my favourite driving roads, Chamrousse which I've done a few times in various cars. Bee in helmet at 3:15.

I owned a Suzuki 380 back in the mid 70's and it was a suburb bike apart from a slightly compromised frame and rubbish shocks; .
A mate of mine has just finished a resto on a GT380,it looks great. However the days of being able to buy a cheap rat and scoot round on it are gone for 70s bikes even if bikes like Rich's KLE above are out there. My pal knows his bikes, he ended up parting with £2k for a shabby but mechanically sound example. It's needed no engine work other than a precautionary head off, decoke and new rings, but he had to refinish pretty well all the chrome and all the paint bar the tank which was good enough to leave original. He's spent a year and no small sum sorting it out.

Lovely note of that Striple Anthony.
(Have to ask btw - is that machine in your avatar yours as well ??)

Never spotted this thread. My list (in order):

2005 Honda XR125L
1991 Moto Guzzi California III LAPD
1992 Honda VFR750F
2005 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm
1998 Honda CBR900RRW Fireblade
2000 Honda VTR1000 SP-1
2001 Aprilia SL1000 Falco
1992 Suzuki GSX-R750 WN
2004 Husqvarna SM610S
2010 Aprilia Tuono 1000 R
2007 Honda VTR1000 SP-2 S-6
1998 Honda CBR900 RRW Fireblade
2002 Honda VTR1000 SP-1
2002 Suzuki GSX-R750Y
1998 Honda VFR800Fi
1998 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm
2011 Ducati Streetfighter 1100
2015 Yamaha YZF-R1
2007 Aprilia RSV1000R
2008 Suzuki DR-Z400SM
2014 Ducati Hyperstrada 821
2004 Honda VTR1000 SP-2
2015 MV Agusta Brutale 990R
2011 Duacti Streetfighter 1100
2016 Yamaha YZF-R1 60th Anniversary
2015 Honda CBR1000RR SP ABS
2016 Yamaha XSR700
2016 Ducati Monster 1200R
2016 Ducati 1299 (Current)
2010 Triumph Street Triple R
2009 Ducati Streetfighter 1100 S (Current)

Some repeats because I decided to buy the same model again! My favourites have been the Honda SP-1/2 and the Ducati Streetfighter.

The current two:

BCF.jpg

SFS_Profile.jpg

I fancied an SP1 until I sat on one... I'm 6'4" and thought the chiropractor bills could be excessive!

Passed my test in April last year, bought a Striple and headed to the Alps in July and managed to get some video of my week there. This is up one of my favourite driving roads, Chamrousse which I've done a few times in various cars. Bee in helmet at 3:15.

675 or 765?

A wasp down the T shirt is fun too.
BTW, I watched quite a bit of your video, and it appeared you were running wide on quite a few exits. Where were you looking? Hands follow eyes, so if you were looking wide, rather than at the inside kerb, you will go wide. I learnt that on track with the bike, and taught it as a driving instructor. Look at the solution, not the problem. Mind you, I still ran off track last year at Donington doing exactly that. Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach. :rolleyes: :D

Well he certainly didn't run wide exiting any of the left-handers..so it's perhaps the case that he was taking slightly more relaxed lines, and enjoying the ride :)

I'm hopeless at riding fast on the road...if you are a really good road rider you do all of what you learn on the track but do it on your side of the road. But I can't do that, it's just not wide enough. The apex is the grass verge, not a white line.

The real issue for me is I decided to do the bike test while I was waiting for the Exige to turn up. It arrived just after I passed my test and I subsequently lost all enthusiasm for things with four wheels :)

If it's any consolation - my one has been sitting sorn'd beside the bike for the last two years.
Turning point for me was when I made the mistake of fully costing out a car track day - fees, fuel, tyres, pads, fluids, contribution to suspension rebuilds etc. Realised I could run a big bike for a year on less :)

The real issue for me is I decided to do the bike test while I was waiting for the Exige to turn up. It arrived just after I passed my test and I subsequently lost all enthusiasm for things with four wheels :)
Bikes are a bugger like that. For about 15 years I hardly drove, and still finding it boring. Mind you, I never had a car like yours!
I couldn't justify the expense of the Superbike School, particularly as I didn't have a superbike (just a Suzuki SV650S- twice!), but read all Keith Code's books. I did do a couple of race schools at Cadwell, and lots of track days at the old Anglesey circuit, and still look at the wrong point at times. Knowing what I should do isn't the same as actually accomplishing it. I wasn't trying to be critical, just helpful, as I didn't know if you were aware of your lines. But obviously you are!

I now have a van. There's no going back as along as there is a bike.

I had a 1971 Lotus ELan +2 with Spyder chassis and 2 litre Mondeo motor, and then a BBR Turbo in recent years. They were OK. But I just can't get into it any more. The fun, not the car!

I'm hopeless at riding fast on the road...if you are a really good road rider you do all of what you learn on the track but do it on your side of the road. But I can't do that, it's just not wide enough. The apex is the grass verge, not a white line.
I don't even try, now. As long as I can keep doing track days, I'll save it for there. I thought last year would be my last, after a bad crash a few years ago, but found I was still enjoying it, so I will get in as many as I can this year. I'll be 70 in November, so this may really be the last year; my body doesn't crash nearly as well as my bike!:(

what do you ride on track days?
The SV. I had one years ago, thought it was too slow, so bought a Fireblade and discovered (by high-siding it) that it was me that's too slow! So I went back to an SV. It has a 700 engine in it, full race exhaust (all done by James Holland, who prepare racing SVs), upgraded front suspension, rear race shock, GSXR brake calipers (so I can use Bendix pads), full race fairing, raised rear end, steering damper, etc. The only part that doesn't improve performance is the large nut holding the bars. :D
25148095707_1808412b73_c.jpg

BTW, those leathers were cut off me at Pembrey. But the bike could have continued, even after going down at about 100mph. I couldn't. I can show you the x-ray and photos if you've had breakfast. :eek:

Lovely shot! No worries with the critique, I really welcome it :) I did my Bikesafe course just after this trip and my instructor really got me approaching the lines much better, wider and sticking to my positions 1/2/3 depending on the corner. Looking back at the video is quite good because I can see countless areas to improve.

What is your SORN'd motor Alan? I also have an S1 Elise, highly modded K series with 200bhp+/Nitrons etc and a Nissan GTR (circa 600bhp) and an MX5 road/track car which is probably the most fun of the lot but selling now. I bought a Shogun for towing duties and plan to get a trailer and a track bike next :)

@richgilb These Elan prices are getting barmy! What was your BBR turbo in? Been thinking about a new model MX5 with the BBR kit recently.

advertisement

Back