advertisement

Time for a motorbike list

This was fun for a few years;
Ducati-916-Senna.jpg

Mine was number 215. I had the forks revalved and adjusted, brakes uprated, engine tweaked, rear sprocket changed. I honestly don't know what I was thinking when I sold it in 2003. Should have parked it in the dining room and left it there. My son recently bought a BMW F800 GS and I think I might get a 1200GS next year, luckily I think I've got the sports bike thing out of my system now.

Sorry no. Far too whiny for me. THIS is a proper bike with a proper rider too. The sound of the Britten at Donington is what got me hooked on watching racing.

Much and all as I loved the Britten story, and the bike itself, funny I never could really warm to the sound.
Interestingly my own bike is one of very few put there with the same 60 degree V-twin layout - and `I never made the connection with the Britten before now.

I suppose the "best" sound depends on when your biking character was formed. Although I had a Bantam for a year in 65-66, I never rode again until 92. Nor had any interest. So Rainey, Schwantz and then Fogarty were the riders I watched, and Ducatis, Brittens and racing Guzzis were the bikes that inspired me, no 4 cylinder bikes moved me at all, and I missed the whole Norton and Triumph era. Plus I have always liked bass players.

This was fun for a few years;
Ducati-916-Senna.jpg

Mine was number 215. I had the forks revalved and adjusted, brakes uprated, engine tweaked, rear sprocket changed. I honestly don't know what I was thinking when I sold it in 2003. Should have parked it in the dining room and left it there. My son recently bought a BMW F800 GS and I think I might get a 1200GS next year, luckily I think I've got the sports bike thing out of my system now.
Is that worth about say £15k now?

I've been watching this. A bit long but some good bits e.g 10:00 to 14:00:

Graham Jarvis is incredible. Like a 2 stroke ballerina but then he goes out and wins the most gruelling races like Romaniacs.

Johnny Walker is another one. This enduro with his GoPro takes you through the town centre of Porto. It's like the dirt bike TT:

Is that worth about say £15k now?

I'm honestly not sure, I sold it for probably less than half that in 2003, having bought it new in 1998. It is one of the very rare times I've made the mistake of parting with something that I really appreciated, I think I was going through a sensible phase and thinking it might not be wise for my license or health to keep riding it. I rode down to Monaco one year and I'd be embarrassed to admit how quickly I got there, it was very comfortable at very high speed. Anyway, I really did appreciate it whilst I had it, and it got used for it's intended purpose.

Graham Jarvis is incredible. Like a 2 stroke ballerina but then he goes out and wins the most gruelling races like Romaniacs.

Johnny Walker is another one. This enduro with his GoPro takes you through the town centre of Porto. It's like the dirt bike TT:

Brilliant! Hard to imagine that would ever be allowed by the health and safety brigade in the UK.

The Jarvis bit where he shouts "coming through" with 2 huge logs in the gully ahead of him reminds me of being overtaken by the MTB world champion in a 24hr race about 12 years ago. We were on a nice bit of single track and I thought I was slaloming round the mud patches in fine style, I heard a call and looked round - saw a rider about 50 yards behind - thought I had plenty of time but a few seconds later he was on my tail. I moved over and realised who he was. He was skimming over the top of the mud and more or less straight lining it, thought I would try to keep up with him - lasted about 30 seconds before imminent lung destruction. His lap time (10 miles all off road) was 31mins, my best was 45. The club racers were in the low 40s. As in most things, the elite are on a different level!

I've done quite a few enduros and that Romaniac just does not look like fun at all! Every section looks knackering. And impossible.

I used to do a bit of off road racing - just for fun though, I wasn't all that good! Not got that many pictures but he's one of me in an event in Wales:
original.jpg

As that bike was road legal (it's a Honda CRM250R) I also used to commute into Edinburgh on it - which was also great fun. It was only geared for about a 90mph top speed but it was very quick away from the lights and tended to lift the front wheel a lot! The enduro race tyres I ran were road legal but didn't have much grip on Edinburgh's cobbled streets - especially when wet - so it used to wheelspin all the way down those, with some sideways action at times.

'kinEll - you'd nearly need a lie down after even just watching it. Pure 2 wheel hooliganism - wonderful :)

Quite right.

Since this is (nominally) an audio forum, here's something I was listening to earlier. Volume to 11, and wait for the 2nd/3rd passes.

I defy anybody with petrol in their veins not to smile :)[/QUOTE
]

Cool. Sounds like an air raid siren at a distance. The first CBX1000's came riding on 2.15 inch rims.....a scary thought!

It usually gets a quick blip or two just before mot time when the wad of steel wool goes in, an a couple after.

Pete

Its only just been put away for winter, 3 months on the bus not something I am looking forward to!

Pete

advertisement

Back