advertisement

Tiger Paw Javelin Tone Arm

Kuzma 9" headshell.

31133-stogi-s-headshell.jpg

12" headshell.

kuzma-cartridges-car-60-600x600.jpg

The 'agricultural' powdercoat finish is to alter the resonant frequency of the alloy.

Points taken about pricing, but I can assure you that there is a huge amount of time that goes in to assembling each one. Of course we may not be doing it in a particularly efficient way, and times like this I have great respect for companies like Rega who turn production processes in to an art form. All I can say is that several of our dealers have said "it's too cheap" in comparison to what they have available. And having now built around 20, I'm beginning to wonder that myself. I haven't figured out precisely how long it takes to assemble each one, as I do the sub assemblies in batches etc, but it's longer and more involved than I expected.

I guess the only way one can determine value is to have a listen at one of our dealers at some point, compare it to what you're currently using and determine a) whether you like what it does, and b) whether it's worth the investment. However, I can assure you that a great deal of time and effort has gone in to creating it.
At £1,800 I feel that this a excellent product at that price point (from what I read). And I would like to know in your opinion what one would have to pay to achieve a little better quality in LP replay.

This thread was just starting to get some steam up .... then it died :-(

Does anyone have a Javelin fitted at home yet and got any thoughts on it after some use ?

I always liked the sound of the Aro ... maybe this could be the final "Javelin" in the coffin for my old Ekos 1 .....

cheers

Ian

From one Ian to another,
I had one fitted two weeks ago and all I can say is...wow! Granted I also had the Akula and an Urika I fitted at the same time, but what a difference. I didn’t demo it against the Aro or Ekos but have heard them previously and in all honesty the Javelin is every bit as good and better than the Aro in my opinion. Notes start and end better and just when I thought the percussion couldn’t sound any better (after the Radikal), bang, loads more detail. Female vocals sound more impressive also.
As normal the meticulous David from the Sound Org inYork did the business and Roger after delivering the goods stayed and watched the fit (Davids first Javelin), so couldn’t get a better pair I suppose!
Sorry it’s not a long description but I’m currently on holiday in Montenegro.
KR Ian

AIUI Roger has been scaling up production, I think he'd comfortably underestimated how popular it was going to be.

Tiger Paw appears to have developed a product with a design based on that of a no-longer-manufactured product, but with additional modifications that they claim better the performance of the original product.

There are numerous alternatives to this product, and it is clearly a luxury item, and in no way a household staple or medical device to which one might argue people are entitled access as a matter of right.

They have set a relatively high price for this new product that seems to be comparable (but not identical) to that of functionally-equivalent products of its claimed quality and performance level.

If people enjoy the product and determine that its benefits are greater than its cost, they are free to purchase it. If they do not, they need not do so. Presumably, if an insufficient number of people purchase the product, the manufacturer will lower the price or discontinue its sale.

Why has this created so much controversy?

From one Ian to another,
I had one fitted two weeks ago and all I can say is...wow! Granted I also had the Akula and an Urika I fitted at the same time, but what a difference. I didn’t demo it against the Aro or Ekos but have heard them previously and in all honesty the Javelin is every bit as good and better than the Aro in my opinion. Notes start and end better and just when I thought the percussion couldn’t sound any better (after the Radikal), bang, loads more detail. Female vocals sound more impressive also.
As normal the meticulous David from the Sound Org inYork did the business and Roger after delivering the goods stayed and watched the fit (Davids first Javelin), so couldn’t get a better pair I suppose!
Sorry it’s not a long description but I’m currently on holiday in Montenegro.
KR Ian

How do you know that it wasn’t all down to the Akula and Urika?
Or that it might have even been better still with Akula, Urika and your old arm?

Because people like to argue fro the sake of it, is my conclusion.
It always seems so arbitrary where people draw the line as to value.

$10,000 for a pair of speakers? Yes, this is objectively correct. But so help me God if someone spends more than I think is appropriate on a tonearm or power supply, I will internet-shame them until I am blue in the fingers.

I think, in some cases, there is always personal controversy when another is prepared to update their rig with several steps at once, without demonstrating an ability to hear each individual stages differences during said upgrade process. The argument is one cannot attribute the beneficial changes to an individual item.

However, again it’s each to their own. If they are happy with their investment and the benefits, then good for them.

advertisement

Back