advertisement

Tiger Paw Javelin Tone Arm

Are the dealers who have these listed on the TPA website? Where can one hear the arm?

We have demo models going out to Cymbiosis in Leicester, Signals nr Ipswich and Hidden Systems in Windsor. I haven't been to get round to our other dealers yet, but hopefully we will in the next 3 or 4 weeks.

I think this is quite a different Akito from the original, Tony

Looks like they’ve tidied up the bearing housing a bit, but the cueing lever, rest, anti-skate structure etc still looks the same low budget BSR/ADC unit of the original Basiks. Hard to comprehend how it could possibly cost more than something as beautifully crafted as a SME M2-9.

We have demo models going out to Cymbiosis in Leicester, Signals nr Ipswich and Hidden Systems in Windsor. I haven't been to get round to our other dealers yet, but hopefully we will in the next 3 or 4 weeks.

Unfortunately none of the dealers on your website are anywhere near me...

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has heard one and what they've compared it to. I have an Ittok and never heard even a Mk I Ekos to compare it with.

Ok, but now a much more difficult question. What can justify it being more expensive than a Morch DP6. I can clearly see the exquisite level of craft and technical detail that has gone in to the production of the Morch. That is around £1600.
Morch: £1600
Akito: £1630
Javelin:£1800
These are the same price, effectively. A vauxhall Astra at (say) £12,000 is not significantly cheaper than a Ford Focus at £12,300 or more expensive than a Mazda at £11,000. Nobody wanting to spend that sort of money will regard these prices as different, just as if I go to the pub I'm not arguing about the difference between £3.60 a pint and £3.80. If I can't afford the difference I'd better stay out of the pub or only buy a half.

I'm much further afield i.e. Canada. Do I have any hope of seeing / listening to the Javelin without flying to the UK?

I’m very much looking forward to hearing the one I’ve been promised in my system ;). I do know a great deal of work has gone into this - more than the Aro like looks may lead you to believe.

(That finger lift looks just like the one SME fit to the V ;))

YNWOAN, which arm are you currently using?

Morch: £1600
Akito: £1630
Javelin:£1800
These are the same price, effectively. .

This is pedantry, and the car analogy doesn't work (I wish car analogies could be taken out of audio discourse). My point was clear; I can see amazing craftmanship in the Morch DP6: any tonearm at that price point needs to justify itself against an arm with such obvious quality. The craftsmanship of the Javelin is less immediately apparent. I'm not saying its not there, but I'm going to need convincing with a new product, which is why I'm asking questions. Who is the designer; what is their history?

Javelin looks really nice and well-made to me. Very pleased to see a solution to Naim’s idiotic lack of alignment and that it has a cueing device built in! That fixes my issues with that arm. I’d be interested to see more pics e.g. of the bearing, cable routing etc. The Aro’s bearing was rather more interesting than it initially appeared, though I never really figured out why it was as it was.

This is pedantry, and the car analogy doesn't work (I wish car analogies could be taken out of audio discourse). My point was clear; I can see amazing craftmanship in the Morch DP6: any tonearm at that price point needs to justify itself against an arm with such obvious quality. The craftsmanship of the Javelin is less immediately apparent. I'm not saying its not there, but I'm going to need convincing with a new product, which is why I'm asking questions. Who is the designer; what is their history?

Whilst I appreciate good design, in all honesty that's not really my forte. Just trying to create an arm that I think works well from a sound quality perspective was really number one, two and three on the list of objectives. And then trying to make it a little more user friendly, and lastly trying to make it visually appealing. There are probably some areas that a clever industrial designer could make a more appealing shape which probably wouldn't affect sound quality, of that I'm absolutely sure. Which is why it remains very much a form follows function design. Pretty much all unipivots are going to be similar in lay out, and in some ways this is fairly efficient in that regard. Not many people have seen or heard it yet, possibly around 14 people. However, in all cases they were pleased with performance and 'surprised' how well finished it was. As far as I'm concerned that was job done for me, I achieved what I set out to achieve. I designed it, and if you have a look at the website I have written down the reasons behind certain features, but ultimately it is for customers to listen and determine whether it meets there expectations.

Reactions: JWM
I use an Aro with a SKale counterweight and slightly reworked bias geometry.
After using the Skale for a while, have you ever tried going back to the original Naim counterweight (large one)? I did and I was quite surprised. I'm running a DV-1T by the way so YMMV

There are probably some areas that a clever industrial designer could make a more appealing shape which probably wouldn't affect sound quality, of that I'm absolutely sure.

You don’t appear to have branded it at all. I know not all tonearms are, but I think I’d have cut the name into the armbase or applied a logo just to make sure folk seeing pictures know what it is!

PS The nicely recessed part of the armbase under the counterweight would be my chosen site... very discreet & vintage SME!

You don’t appear to have branded it at all. I know not all tonearms are, but I think I’d have cut the name into the armbase or applied a logo just to make sure folk seeing pictures know what it is!

PS The nicely recessed part of the armbase under the counterweight would be my chosen site... very discreet & vintage SME!

I did look at several options, and had a couple of prototypes with 'Javelin' in a discrete grey at the back of the body but honestly it didn't really float my boat. My thinking was if you've bought it, you know what it is. It's a bit like car manufacturers putting their logo on the steering wheel, frankly you know what you're sitting in so it's unnecessary(!) But I'm interested to hear your views, I didn't think about the little recess at the back.. as you say, quite discreet. A fresh pair of eyes sees things differently!

I didn't think about the little recess at the back.. as you say, quite discreet. A fresh pair of eyes sees things

That location looks almost purpose made - look at a vintage SME 3009 or 3012 for inspiration! Alternately the side of the base next to what I assume is the VTA bolt would look rather cool too, but I prefer the back as that recess just looks like it was designed for a logo!

Reactions: TPA
You have to be kidding! Seriously? I always considered it a sub-RB300 arm.

In fairness, the latest Akito is miles apart from the original (I’ve had both) but the current price is a bit daft. I preferred the latest Akito to an Ittok, but anyone in the market for an Akito must surely now look at the Javelin. Obviously the question will be how does it sound?!

advertisement

Back