advertisement

Tidy Turntable Photographs

P1000384a_zps664152e8.jpg

I assume that's some form of air bearing tone arm Mik.

Interesting ! Is it normal to have the motor off-board in that position on that N.A. deck ( Ace Space with Dais platter?) or is there a cut out at the rear for it?

Reason I ask is that I'm currently using my motor in that position on my Dais to get it away from the cart.

The deck is a Spacedeck with heavy kit, hence the Dias-like platter size. The motor is there because the rear left arm-base/foot assembly is in the way of the traditional position. The motor for the Spacedeck is normally a separate unit from the platter/base assembly.

A pic with it playing a record might go some way to undoing my utter confusion on how that works!

The silicon trough pivots to allow you to put on a record. It basically provides support and damping at the headshell which will change the resonant modes of the arm. Max Townsend thought it improved arm performance, not everyone else agreed.

The silicon trough pivots to allow you to put on a record. It basically provides support and damping at the headshell which will change the resonant modes of the arm. Max Townsend thought it improved arm performance, not everyone else agreed.

Thanks. Yes, I Googled to find out more, and now realise that's a trough, not a rubber band construction as I had thought from the posted pic.

I'm no TT engineer, but intuitively that seems to add drag to the swing of the tone arm that can't be right?

What a fantastic collection of rare Japanese exotica. I presume you have also cornered the market in rocking horse pooh :)

Absolutely - does wonders for the roses!

I also have an Aiwa LP-3000, a Sony Biotracer PS-B80 and a Technics SL-MA1 but haven't got pictures of them to hand...

Thanks. Yes, I Googled to find out more, and now realise that's a trough, not a rubber band construction as I had thought from the posted pic.

I'm no TT engineer, but intuitively that seems to add drag to the swing of the tone arm that can't be right?

Well iirc the SME V arm I had when I had an Orbe also had a trough for silicone fluid to damp the arm but it was near the base not the headshell

At least with the WT deck you can improve your golf swing .:D

And at least with the WT you don't have to move the pool of silicon fluid to change a record. But still, silicon fluid is nasty stuff if you spill it - and I'm clumsy/unlucky enough that I would spill it!

advertisement

Back