advertisement

Thorens TD-124mkII motor removal/disassembly: how hard to do and is there a guide?

Plenty of info here on pfm, e.g. my lengthy TD-124 thread and elsewhere on the web........

Doh.....can't link to this thread...what am I doin' wrong??
Have been honoured with the task of 'servicing' a TD124/2 by an ole gimmer friend (original purchaser in '67)
.....and I just know he'll be wanting to fork out as little as possible on parts :)

Hoping to discover any DIY fixes out there.....thinking mushrooms and idler wheel for starters!!

Shaking up an old thread, but wanted to know if anyone has advice or can help get an old TD124 Mkii working. Firstly, I got this as a gift to repair, sort of, and what I've found out, besides some physical parts needing to be replace, like belt, mushroom grommets, leveling discs and screws, etc., I'd first like to get the motor running before I go and get those parts as it's all very expensive!

The motor, when engaged, it doesn't spin. I've taken the platter, etc., including the pulley from the motor and it's obvious that it doesn't spin. When engaged, I can hear it buzz but the motor shaft doesn't spin. I can spin it by hand with or without the motor being engaged, but it doesn't continue to spin on its own.

Any help on this would be great! I would like to bring this baby back to life!

Thanks

https://www.theanalogdept.com Everything you need to know will be there…

My first call would be to remove the existing power/mains cord and fit a new twin and earth one…it could just be that!. If still nothing then head over to the above address.

Take your time, nothing is really too difficult about these decks to disassemble ( a little fiddly bits here and there) and put back together again. If it’s been idle for a while then some moving parts would have seized up a bit, a few sprays of wd40 will loosen things up and make it much easier to disassemble, typically it will be the screws that would give you a mild ball ache!.

Fwiw, I had exactly the same issues with a mk11…I had to replace the motor coils for new ones…worked a treat! The mk11 had been idle for over 2 decades and the grub screw that held the motor pulley was crazy seized up…the bugger screw needed a good lubrication and after half adozen attempts eventually loosened up!. My mk1 however, hardly gave me any problem with disassembley.

There’s plenty of help here from the boss @TonyL and many others!. Enjoy the ride!

Hi Jan,

How would I remove the existing power mains cord, etc. is there a link to how to do this? I didn't see it on the website you referred to.

Here's a link, it's pretty straight forward...remove the existing 2 wires from the small terminal block first and earth (if there is one). (tip: buy an iec power cord and snip of the iec plug then just strip the cable to reveal live and neutral wires (blue and brown). Then simply feed those wires back into the terminal block and tighten back up, attach earth wire to a near located screw for grounding.

Here's a link, it's pretty straight forward...

Interesting that they use my picture/my deck on the thumbnail! I’ve no issue at all, though I’d have appreciated being asked first! Here’s the original:

6544150091_18fc2bab22_c.jpg

FWIW I’ve changed where I take it to since then, not that it matters much. The important thing is the motor and chassis is solidly grounded.

53679770371_fc855e4773_b.jpg

I feel this location presents a better/more solid chassis ground, but really it doesn’t matter. As long as it is solid and both the chassis and motor casing has good continuity with the mains plug earth all is ok as far as I’m concerned.

That said I’m very wary of being cited as any kind of reference on this. Like everyone else I’m just someone with a TD-124. There are no experts here at all. All the Thorens designers will be dead by now and everyone else claiming to be so has appointed themselves, and usually for business reasons. Many haven’t a clue IMHO!

Interesting that they use my picture/my deck on the thumbnail! I’ve no issue at all, though I’d have appreciated being asked first! Here’s the original:

6544150091_18fc2bab22_c.jpg

FWIW I’ve changed where I take it to since then, not that it matters much. The important thing is the motor and chassis is solidly grounded.

53679770371_fc855e4773_b.jpg

I feel this location presents a better/more solid chassis ground, but really it doesn’t matter. As long as it is solid and both the chassis and motor casing has good continuity with the mains plug earth all is ok as far as I’m concerned.

That said I’m very wary of being cited as any kind of reference on this. Like everyone else I’m just someone with a TD-124. There are no experts here at all. All the Thorens designers will be dead by now and everyone else claiming to be so has appointed themselves, and usually for business reasons. Many haven’t a clue IMHO!
Apologoies, no intentions here...

advertisement

Back