advertisement

This is getting even more silly

That's because hi fi is predominantly a grumpy old man's hobby.

Ah, thank goodness for that! I fit that profile perfectly, particularly the grumpy bit. Mind you, I must be a bit odd though, because all I did was to buy an SBT, plug it in and henceforth play music on it, without giving it a second thought; am I missing out on something?

Ah, thank goodness for that! I fit that profile perfectly, particularly the grumpy bit. Mind you, I must be a bit odd though, because all I did was to buy an SBT, plug it in and henceforth play music on it, without giving it a second though; am I missing out on something?

Nope.

Chris

if they could receive the ultimate digital machine which was very slightly better than what they had

Actually I am agonising over Devialet. (You know the punch line in their ads, not?) There are three problemettes: 1) it is not ultimate (no DLNA), 2) it implies normal passive loudspeakers, so it closes off a route of potential genuine improvement, and 3) what to do with the shipload of boxes it would replace?

The ultimate digital machine would be just part of a pair of loudspeakers, such as the Grimm, LS1's a system conceived from the very beginning as a whole .
Keith.

Actually I am agonising over Devialet. (You know the punch line in their ads, not?) There are three problemettes: 1) it is not ultimate (no DLNA), 2) it implies normal passive loudspeakers, so it closes off a route of potential genuine improvement, and 3) what to do with the shipload of boxes it would replace?

You can connect up to eight Devs together and use the built-in high/low-pass filters as active crossovers. Gets a bit pricey though.

More seriously, Devialet have said they're going to license their tech. One application will be active speakers.

The ultimate digital machine would be just part of a pair of loudspeakers, such as the Grimm, LS1's

Yes. One of the earliest sets was installed at a master engineer acquaintance of mine. If only there was an elegant way of combining them with a two turntable and streamer setup...

They do look sexy. I spent some time agonising over the rather less sexy looking NAD m2 for similar, but perhaps less intense, reasons.

If the devaliets could be had for couple of grand I would be tempted. My main strategic goal at the moment is to persuade my girlfriend that quad electrostatics could enhance or at least not spoil an enfilade.

The ultimate digital machine would be just part of a pair of loudspeakers, such as the Grimm, LS1's a system conceived from the very beginning as a whole .
Keith.
Do you have these on demo as a matter of interest?

advertisement

Back