advertisement

This is getting even more silly

Werner

pfm Member
Finding this gem on a certain aother forum, I simply could not resist.

"Today I was privileged to hear a very B grade Redbook live recording of Pinkus Zuckerman in 2006 with the NY Philharmonic, upsampled with AuI to 352, then converted by by JRMC to DSD128 and then up sampled on the fly to DSD256 by HQ Payer. The performance was exquiste and glorious. "

Wow that's a lot of upsampling.

And yet others achieve noticeably better results while disabling all upsampling (other than the upsampling they don't know about).

Truly the human ear is a remarkable instrument.

I wonder whether Pinkus Zuckerman is related to Pinchas Zukerman or whether he is a sort of tribute band.

Werner and Adam

This is beyond silly. Listening to systems should not involve so much work and energy. I enjoy a DAC which does absolutely no upsampling; listening to the recording as it was mastered/produced.

I find it remarkable that with the ear and brain being in such close proximity that they do not spend more time on the same page :)

The technical gobbledegook is a classic example of obscure hifi /techno /speak in inverse proportion to common sense and clear communication. A performance is a performance regardless of sound quality. But maybe I’ve totally missed the point.
:)

Werner and Adam

This is beyond silly. Listening to systems should not involve so much work and energy. I enjoy a DAC which does absolutely no upsampling; listening to the recording as it was mastered/produced.

I find it remarkable that with the ear and brain being in such close proximity that they do not spend more time on the same page :)

+1 Couldnt agree more

It will probably end when playing an album is 16 times more cumbersome than playing an LP, including the TT's regular maintenance and re-setup. Or 32 times. Or perhaps 64 times.

The forthcoming fashions are DSD512 (that's 22.57MHz) and offline upsampling on a non-internet-connected computer with a linear power supply. A CD would then occupy only 10 gigabyte on the HD. Well, on the SSD farm, actually.

I know now which stock to invest in.

The technical gobbledegook is a classic example of obscure hifi /techno /speak in inverse proportion to common sense and clear communication. A performance is a performance regardless of sound quality. But maybe I’ve totally missed the point.
:)

Absolutely spot on!

Chris

I have said this a few times, but the democratisation and diselitism of audio has created something of a existential crisis among audiophiles who look to complexify what is plug and play digital audio.

(Yes lots of made up words, sue me)

thanks heavens for the PFM ignore list, applying some simple filters have made PFM all the more enjoyable - i call this "outsampling" it works surprisingly well and does not require extreme processor overhead

"Today I was privileged to hear a very B grade Redbook live recording of Pinkus Zuckerman in 2006 with the NY Philharmonic, upsampled with AuI to 352, then converted by by JRMC to DSD128 and then up sampled on the fly to DSD256 by HQ Payer. The performance was exquiste and glorious. "

So glad the performance was so good - I wonder what the sound quality was like?:rolleyes:

The sad bit is that in all that nonsense the actual work isn't mentioned - reminds me of the guys who spend £X,000 on upgrades just so they can hear what it does to the same 3 or 4 1980s female vocalist records.

I have said this a few times, but the democratisation and diselitism of audio has created something of a existential crisis among audiophiles who look to complexify what is plug and play digital audio.

(Yes lots of made up words, sue me)

You have nailed it.

It used to be that the difference between a Matsui music centre & a decent budget seperates system was palpable, real & big.

The difference between a cheap Maplins DAC & a mega expensive DAC is vanishingly small. What's an audiophool to do?

Chris

At home we have a hifi freak (actually a tech freak) who is seven, and only grumpy when he has to do homework.

So glad the performance was so good - I wonder what the sound quality was like?:rolleyes:

The sad bit is that in all that nonsense the actual work isn't mentioned - reminds me of the guys who spend £X,000 on upgrades just so they can hear what it does to the same 3 or 4 1980s female vocalist records.

I know of reviews that quote certain tracks/albums as part of the review process and guess what? I can't find the track, recording or any other way of actually running the same equipment with the track being reviewed.

What's the point of such a review? In my view, none. Please, can reviewers please use tracks, sources that the poor listener can actually obtain otherwise we are certainly reading your own strange hyperbola and nothing else.

It will probably end when playing an album is 16 times more cumbersome than playing an LP, including the TT's regular maintenance and re-setup. Or 32 times. Or perhaps 64 times.
Exactly

Fox said:
Also spot on

I have on a few occasions over the years posed the question, to anyone who cared to read, whether if they could receive the ultimate digital machine which was very slightly better than what they had, but that was it, no further improvement possible, they would be pleased or sad.

I think that this question lies at the heart of much of the noise round these parts. I seem to be alone in that because IIRC no one ever responded. Perhaps it seemed rhetorical. Perhaps I should start a poll.

Exactly

Also spot on

I have on a few occasions over the years posed the question, to anyone who cared to read, whether if they could receive the ultimate digital machine which was very slightly better than what they had, but that was it, no further improvement possible, they would be pleased or sad.

I think that this question lies at the heart of much of the noise round these parts. I seem to be alone in that because IIRC no one ever responded. Perhaps it seemed rhetorical. Perhaps I should start a poll.

That's because it forces the guys who are in it mainly for the kit to peer into the abyss of actually using the kit to listen to music & nothing else.

Raison d'etres hacked off at the knees.

Chris

I responded. I said ' now that's a very good question', the last time :)

advertisement

Back