advertisement

Things to do on a day out in Manchester

I go to most things; have been heavily involved with accessibility issues and my offspring has been an ambassador for some time. There is undoubtedly good stuff but they’re their own worst enemy. The cast iron refusal to see it as a place for anything other then theatre is costing them heavily.

Yes to the viaduct. A good call.

I always forget Home but it’s a place I really like. The tendency to crank the music level up of an evening is a major irritant.

Bundobust was great in Piccadilly Gardens when they moved the seating to benches and dimmed the lights so that table after table has to have someone with a torch on their phone just to read the menu then they lost my vote. Utter stupidity.

Patels offy, which they ran during lockdown, was excellent.

I have seen decent sounding music of all sorts at the Bridgewater. I don’t think genre is the issue. It’s literally location.
The other Bundobust next to the Palace Theatre is well lit and accessible for wheelchair users, unlike the Piccadilly Gardens one.

Some things I don’t think have been mentioned:

Chetham’s Library the site is fascinating and amazingly well preserved medieval buildings

You could go and look at the trophies at the Etihad, the closest a Spurs fan is likely to get to them ;)

Manchester Museum on Oxford Rd has just reopened, it’s supposed to be great, but the Museum I most often recommend is the People’s Museum. Fascinating.

What date are you up, I can see if there’s anything free on at Chethams or the RNCM if you want a bit of culture.

The Imperial War Museum and the Lowry Gallery are the only reason to visit the quays at Salford.

The Marble Arch or the Lass O’ Gowrie are two pubs you should try to visit.

The food at Gordon Ramsey’s Lucky Cat is supposed to be amazing, and there’s a reasonably priced lunch menu. It’s in a fabulously designed Luyten’s building.

I’ll think of some more things for sure.
Several already mentioned but Chethams is not a bad call. Arguably best done as part of one of the walking tours.

Last time I had curry in Manchester I was hugely disappointed. It ain't what it was, even in the early 90s. Rusholme is all but gone compared to what it was, a few sweet shops left - even the Rusholme Chippy is no more!
There is still some great Asian food to be had.

The Great Kathmandu
Asha's
Delhi House Cafe
Zouk

Few more if you're prepared to go out of the city centre including my current favourite Ayaan’s (in Bolton)

advertisement

Back