advertisement

'There’s endless choice, but you’re not listening’

Really? I like music from around the world, Rai from Algeria, classical Indian music, Brazilian, West African, chamber music, rock, folk, jazz, Baroque, and so on. I didn't notice any streaming going on when I became interested in any of them.
& how typical do you think you are compared to the average?

Well, I know I'm special.
But that's not the point, streaming isn't essential for finding new music, just effortless. Which as some have suggested, devalues it.
So, you are not aware of the pressures that young people are under or the fact they are digital natives so consume in completely different ways. It’s just different. The idea that today’s young person could or would want to amass a sizeable record collection is, frankly, laughable.

The fact that you have wide tastes in music & made the effort (out of necessity) to buy physical media is largely irrelevant.

Music is still important to those who choose to stream, they often support artists in other ways.

I was discussing music browsing in another space and commented that I wasn't attracted to streaming services as I don't want to browse millions of albums; I'm sure 90% of those are just clutter, they will not interest me.

Looks like I'm not alone.

‘There’s endless choice, but you’re not listening’: fans quitting Spotify to save their love of music
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...-quitting-spotify-to-save-their-love-of-music

One of the reasons streaming has never clicked for me. My 100-200 CD collection has always done me fine.

You said it wouldn't have been possible. I told you it was. The type of media is irrelevant.
Explain how you can play a record or CD on an i-phone? When I was circa 19 I had a handful of records & a relatively narrow musical taste. So yes, it just wasn’t possible, I didn’t have the money.

How does buying a 2nd hand record benefit the artist? You are talking utter nonsense.

What are you talking about? When did I mention anything about 2nd hand records? Have you confused me with someone else? And as for records, Manchester, at least, had a record library. And record stores that sold remaindered LPs (Yanks, for one) cheaply. I bought one or two a week, and found all sorts of new and different stuff.

It’s quite simple. Technology has moved on, people access music in different ways. I didn’t even have a record player as a kid. People have ready access to music on their phone. It’s also worth pointing out that for a period from the early 0s onwards record shops were disappearing along with libraries.

Spotify is not ideal, far from it, but it’s great for young people to discover new music. It doesn’t automatically make it a less valuable experience. It’s just old people moaning.

I've been teaching my youngest about the importance of listening to a whole album. Most kids his age only listen to random tracks. The playlist.

I've been teaching my youngest about the importance of listening to a whole album. Most kids his age only listen to random tracks. The playlist.
I don’t think it’s that reductive. Some of the finest & most important music in history was never released in album form. The LP was established in the 50s, actually quite an elitist concept. Tracks came first.

The biggest musical moment of my life was jungle and it was almost entirely track-based. All bar 2 or 3 jungle LPs were awful. LP listening suits me but it’s just one way of listening to music and it can bring out the worst in producers and listeners.

Spotify doesn’t give you CD quality; has adverts; doesn’t pay artists well; has moved to podcasts; is being eaten alive by generated music and has a dreadful interface on its IOS app. Committed to CD quality sometime ago and had yet to deliver or explain why it hasn’t happened. A winning strategy all round then.

I don't get any ads and not interested in podcasts so that isn't an issue for me, does it take away from their music library? Android app is fine for me across two devices, as ever I think it comes down to the user and what they want.

I have negligible interest in podcasts also. Not really the point. The point is that this is now where Spotify have dominance and the most interest and thus it dominates the interface with no opportunity to customise and reduce the clutter. In terms of search and visual appeal, yes, it does take away from their music library and they’ve made it clear that they’re aware of that and not bothered.

As a UI it is terrible compared to those from other services which you can customise to some extent. In terms of how it interacts with exulting things like iOS accessibility options. Well it’s essentially unusable.

I don’t think it’s that reductive. Some of the finest & most important music in history was never released in album form. The LP was established in the 50s, actually quite an elitist concept. Tracks came first.

If you go right back a hundred years to the birth of the record industry 78s of 'popular' music were issued as 10" 'sides' and only 'proper' (i.e classical) music was issued on the more expensive 12" shellac format. The first 'albums' - literally albums of several records with their sleeves bound together into a book - were almost exclusively classic music.

I think there's an argument to be made that those elitist assumptions about music consumption based on ideas around class, social standing and race are still with us today when kids streaming the latest tracks are dismissed as not 'proper' music lovers - with the inference that their music isn't 'proper' music.

Sean's point about jungle made me think as well. In the early 90s vinyl was the only way of getting new tracks out. I would walk to uni on Fridays past the queue of producers and DJs waiting to get dubplates cut on Holloway road. That's all gone because now you can stick 100 brand new tracks on a USB stick and plug it into the club's CDJs. Even if you wanted to press up a new track to sell on vinyl, with a nine month waiting time at the pressing plants it's going to be old news by the time it's actually ready.

What are you talking about? When did I mention anything about 2nd hand records? Have you confused me with someone else? And as for records, Manchester, at least, had a record library. And record stores that sold remaindered LPs (Yanks, for one) cheaply. I bought one or two a week, and found all sorts of new and different stuff.

Slight aside to the topic being discussed, but used to shop at Yanks (downstairs behind Rotters nightclub on Oxford Road) regularly and used the record library in the arcade above the Phoenix again on Oxford Road weekly... discovered a lot of world music I never heard anywhere else through that library... good times.

Slight aside to the topic being discussed, but used to shop at Yanks (downstairs behind Rotters nightclub on Oxford Road) regularly and used the record library in the arcade above the Phoenix again on Oxford Road weekly... discovered a lot of world music I never heard anywhere else through that library... good times.
A pity when the library closed. My wife wanted to know what the piano music she liked was called. I must have listened to dozens of LPs before discovering it was Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No. 2. It turned out she only liked the opening sequence! But it did make me like piano music, which I hadn't previously. So much so that I started going to the lunchtime piano recitals at Forsyth's on Deansgate. There was life before streaming. :D
BTW, I have nothing against streaming, per se, as long as the artists are paid properly. Which is one of the reasons I use Bandcamp. But as pointed out up thread, the tyranny of choice can devalue the experience if used unwisely.
I have two grandsons, one of them them with a music degree, who both prefer physical media, and hunt out albums. Mind you, both of them have been strongly influenced by both of us who like a variety of types of music. So it's not just old people.

advertisement

Back