Votes: 29 28.7%
  • LP12 vs Anything Else?

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • Do Cables Make A Difference?

Votes: 60 59.4%
  • Do Supports Make A Difference?

Votes: 13 12.9%

• Total voters
Political threads should have their own room and be password protected.

And anyone wishing to contribute must state how they voted in a) the last three General Elections and b) the Brexit referendum. A photo will be required, so the poster's gammon level can be identified.

Sums up my view of political threads. What seems even odder to me is that everyone involved keeps trying. I can’t imagine how much time is wasted in this pursuit.

But, actually very few of the political discussions on pfm are Labour vs Tory. There are only a few self-confessed Tories, and they mostly keep their heads down. The real bitterness is between the Hated Blairites and the Corbynistas* who mostly agree on ends, but who differ widely on means. As Charles Greville wrote [cont'd p. 94].

* or left-wingers, or moderates, or however they self-identify.

‘It is a truth, universally acknowledged, that a man in possession of a considerable fortune, shall be in want of a shitload of mains leads.’

Call me ----

Some years ago—never mind how long precisely—having little or no money in my purse, and nothing heard particular to interest me, I thought I would sail about a little and see the audio part of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation. Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before dealerships, and bringing up the rear of every thread I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the thread, and methodically knocking people’s hats off—then, I account it high time to go listen for myself as soon as I can. This is my substitute for pistol and ball ...

‘It is a truth, universally acknowledged, that a man in possession of a considerable fortune, shall be in want of a shitload of mains leads.’

that made me spray soave over the patio.......

However, i'm not sure that Miss Austen would have used the word "sh1tload" in this context - do we have any JA aficionados on the forum who would care to comment?

Threads about equipment that peeps have expunged themselves of (fill in the space of the manufacturer that they suddenly don’t like, having previously spent £thousands on them) or life after threads (you get the picture)..

that made me spray soave over the patio.......
However, i'm not sure that Miss Austen would have used the word "sh1tload" - do we have any JA afficianados on the forum who would care to comment?

Certainly not. However, Miss Austen is cited in the OED as the first published use of the words 'baseball' and 'doorbell'.

advertisement

Back