advertisement

The Week

Rockmeister

pfm Member
A friend has suggested I subscribe to 'The Week' as a news source of unbiased purity. Since his normal stance is sightly right of Atilla the Hun, I'm suspicious, but what's the opinion of the errudite here on this rag?

I used to subscribe to it. It was definitely on the "right" side of centre IMHO, though not quite Attila the Hun level, but enough for me to stop my sub.

The world, and news media, is beyond satire. Having said that, I would still watch 'That was the week that was'.

A friend has suggested I subscribe to 'The Week' as a news source of unbiased purity. Since his normal stance is sightly right of Atilla the Hun, I'm suspicious, but what's the opinion of the errudite here on this rag?
I saw the thread title and misspelled. Thought it would be about a Ukip calling for mobile gassing units.

Don't listen to the naysayers. It's a great publication, and despite it's conservative audience (judging from the adverts), I've never had the sense that it is anything other than balanced. Have subscribed for years and wish the same existed here in Germany.

I subscribe to The Week and have for about 20 years iirc. Since the the death of the original publisher, Felix Dennis, it has IMO lurched right.
The precis of several newspapers was broadsheets before and publications such as The Sun and Daily Mail were rarely, if ever, quoted in the panoply of opinions of every colour they aired.
Now the Daily Mail is frequently quoted, and the editorials have moved well to the right compared to the original publication which considered such papers as hawkers of fake news and wind ups (rightly IMHO).
It definitely is not as balanced as when it first came out.
Disappointing but still worth buying IMO.

thanks for the replies. I had a read last week and didn't, in any case, like the summary. Maybe if I lived on an island with no media it might be useful...
back t'interweb then.

I happened across a complementary copy a couple of weeks back and read it for the first time. As someone who likes to keep their finger on the pulse of news and current affairs anyway there was little I hadn't read about elsewhere already, but I will say it was fairly wide ranging, and as comprehensive as you could hope for in its format. Some of the "general interest" articles, such as one about a guy trying to set up underwater living environments (think "Moonbase Alpha but on the seabed) were quite interesting.
In an opinion piece of a few paragraphs each from a few different people there were 2-3 anti brexit and the same number of pro brexit pieces.... whatever that may or may not say for its neutrality...
If judged by the ads it seems they expect their average reader to be a Ferrari or Bentley driving collector of fine arts with second homes in Tuscany and New York!

advertisement

Back