advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

Gold and Jewerly(sic)!!!

Where on earth did that sign come from? 😲
A friend got it me for my birthday so unfortunately I can't help you out with that one , it also has my full name before proprietor but I blurred that out same on the British WatchMaker certificate.

Do you mean they were trying to steal it while you were at a cricket match? If so, "what is the world coming to?"
I was sat with another fishie at The Oval and there were 4 inebriated lads sat next to us. One asked if it was a real one or a fake and there was some murmured 'discussion' amongst them. They were also trying to get other info and followed us after the match but we lost them in the massive crowd. We are no lightweights and more than capable should the need arise but it was unnerving. Not the only instance either.

I was sat with another fishie at The Oval and there were 4 inebriated lads sat next to us. One asked if it was a real one or a fake and there was some murmured 'discussion' amongst them. They were also trying to get other info and followed us after the match but we lost them in the massive crowd. We are no lightweights and more than capable should the need arise but it was unnerving. Not the only instance either.
Seems like the world is becoming a nastier place!

Two questions Bazza, what is your work light and how does the cleaning machine work ( assume it’s not an electric whisk, Fairy Liquid and warm water)?
Hi the lamp is excellent its the same type we use at work I got it from Cousin's here is a link its not cheap but worth every penny https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/bench-light-cousins-led-660-x-120mm-head?code=L62768

The cleaner is an super bit to kit and a must have, its called the KiwiCleaner my model is a the V2 model , I'm going to do a build video and review on my youtube channel #clickspringreviews but here is a link to it were it shows it in action https://www.diywatchcleaner.com/

Asked Watchfinder for a quote. Not bad but not accepted. Revised quote came in, better snd close so I accepted.......then the fun starts!
Took it to their boutique in Mayfair today. Big mistake. 3 hour round trip, time I will never get back.
Sales lady says 'have you got the box?' 'Did you read the quote request' I asked.
'Oh, this is the black dial version and we have quoted on the blue' My answer ' That's a different model number and the one I gave you is correct. I also sent you a clear photo'
Sale lady asks head office for another quote and it's £600 less! Watch picked up, my feelings on Watchfinder given to sales lady.....
Needless to say, they are off my radar now. Either keep it or find another buyer.

Forget Rolex, just wondering if there is any chance of getting any discount on Omega? I know the boutiques won’t but thinking the likes Goldsmiths etc might

picked up a Seamaster 300M in green. my terrible photography does it no justice at all, it is a stunning colour, the rubber strap is extremely comfortable & it wears smaller than the 42mm size suggests too which is nice. really pleased with it. Nice watch I’m looking at that one and the white dial

be careful out there

I think I'm in the clear. I've got £60 on my wrist today and the most expensive watch I own might fetch £500.
Mind you, I recently discovered that the £50 gift I bought for my dad a few years ago, a Seiko SNKK45, has something of a cult following and a passing resemblance to a PP, and now goes for £400+. He only wore it a couple of times before buying a smartwatch and leaving it in a drawer so it looks unused. That's a turnup.

If, (and it's a big if), I were ever to invest in an expensive watch it would be a vintage 1966 Omega Speedmaster. I'm a bit of a space fan.

450099-1-Omega-Speedmaster-Professional.jpg

be careful out there

Yes, watched the program. Know several over the years who’ve been mugged for their watches (mainly Rolex) in London, on foot and at traffic lights. No idea why people walk around with such a target on their back TBH. When I’m out I wear watches between £25 and £150 at most. Attracting no attention is best IMHO, this level of organised crime is big business now.

Yes, watched the program. Know several over the years who’ve been mugged for their watches (mainly Rolex) in London, on foot and at traffic lights. No idea why people walk around with such a target on their back TBH. When I’m out I wear watches between £25 and £150 at most. Attracting no attention is best IMHO, this level of organised crime is big business now.
In Mayfair tonight, watches at home

It does strike me as daft that one is now afraid to wear an expensive watch outside one's home, when the purpose of said watch is largely decorative, not functional, and therefore more likely to be appropriate in a social context than when mooching about at home.

Agreed. I am divesting a lot of my collection for that very reason. Most have served their purpose, i.e. as an alternative tax free investment instead of ISA etc, but now the savings rates are up. Perhaps I’ll be mugged for my building society pass book instead.

advertisement

Back