advertisement

The TRUTH Why Modern Music Is Awful

I think that it is worthwhile to have a glance at some of his other videos. For example

Jeez that twat takes himself seriously :rolleyes:

What motivates him to drone on like this? Maybe it’s because he’s a bit ‘one-eyed’?

Hopefully he’ll finally meet someone of the opposite sex that will tolerate him, and he can put all this nonsense behind him!

The music spectrum is so vast, that even in the current album charts there will be something for every one.

Music is also very vogue, in that tastes and trends go in and out all the time.

I’m not that concerned about it, primarily as there is always something current that I like.

Folk of a certain age used to be dissing me in 1979 for liking a guy in make up singing about driving a car. What’s realistically changed?

There does not seem to be any new styles for a long time, hip-hop etc have been around so long that teenagers will be listening to the same as their parents. That is never acceptable.

So we were better off when the big corporate tastemakers felt free to bring some sophistication to pop? Or felt they had to? Perhaps that word 'tastemakers' accords them too much myth. They rode waves as much as made them, surely. And of course wiped-out trying, a lot.

Charts in the past were the 'funnel' that popular music was measured and processed through.
The charts no longer act in this way as music is consumed in so many other ways; there are genres directly linked to Soundcloud for example.
Music is being released in so many ways that can't be measured the same way as in the past.

Tony's Grime example was a good one - I'm sure in many inner cities the 'yoof' are listening to this genre more than any other but this cannot be measured by traditional means.

Some serious assumptions in there—does a variety of instruments produce better music? I very much doubt it.

But, when I listen to modern music, I hear Logic Pro presets and loops all the time. And Autotune/Melodyne processing.

However, there's a LOT of music being made (maybe the majority) that isn't fighting loudness, uses lots of variety in instrumentation and has great lyrics. He's talking about 'popular' music as of it's the only music around.

Stephen

There was an interview with Macartney recently where he was talking about those Beatles trying to be as loud as possible on Helter Skelter. I suspect that they would have gone for heavy compression nowadays.

Jools show was all crap other than Paul Weller and Joe Bonamassa last night... with the mainly black rap type group with about 12 members being REALLY crap. Show before that had some good stuff on it like The Lemon Twigs ('70's prog-tastic!) and Sam Fender... neither of which I'd heard of before.

This is simply factually inaccurate. Whilst Western Art Music may conform to certain accepted structures, the battle to expand them and escape the tonal structures is what has fuelled the development of said music. The reason Mozart sounds different to Brahms and Brahms sounds different to Hindemith is the rejection of formulas. Schubert changing tonality in 3rds instead of the dominant/sub-dominant/relative minor. Mozart writing the last movement of the Jupiter symphony using five interlocking themes and making the coda an exercise in glorious counterpoint, Mahler adding singers, the list is endless. I’m afraid that argument doesn’t hold water. It’s a bit like saying nearly all dogs have four legs so they’re all the same.
The formula changes over time, but the construct is pretty much the same. As it is in pop music.
All dogs have 4 legs and always have done and are, genetically, very much similar.

The formula changes over time, but the construct is pretty much the same. As it is in pop music.
All dogs have 4 legs and always have done and are, genetically, very much similar.

Really? Maybe you could explain to me what elements are similar between Mozart’s 41, Mahler’s Resurrection and Shostokovich’s 5th. Picked some popular ones for you. Beyond instrumentation not much.
Maybe you could discuss the development of Sonata Form from Ternary Form? It’s ultimate rejection by composers of the Viennese school, and it’s reconstruction and rehabilitation in the later 20th Century. Or you could maybe admit that you don’t know what you’re talking about.

To start picking apart music composition is a dangerous precedent. Of course go right ahead if that’s your bent.

Chord progressions in recent popular music, despite often being very similar, have been interpreted differently by different artists, yielding a totally different melody, lyric and song.

There are just too many examples of this to describe, but one I’ve come to recognise and respect is Chris Lowe from the Pet Shop Boys. Very clever stuff, if you are into that kind of thing. Others would call it plagiarism.

I call it artistic license.

Really? Maybe you could explain to me what elements are similar between Mozart’s 41, Mahler’s Resurrection and Shostokovich’s 5th. Picked some popular ones for you. Beyond instrumentation not much.
Maybe you could discuss the development of Sonata Form from Ternary Form? It’s ultimate rejection by composers of the Viennese school, and it’s reconstruction and rehabilitation in the later 20th Century. Or you could maybe admit that you don’t know what you’re talking about.

No. I listen to music for pleasure. Not sure why you listen to it.

I care nothing for the Ternary Form, or the Viennese School or counting notes or how many instruments there are.

Nor do I have any time for critics who claim some superior aesthetic sensibility.

You, as many others, cannot show any objective criteria for musical quality other than the "this is what I like and anyone who does not is a philistine".

Can I also ask if you are a member of the Friends of Radio 3 forum, because your comments are straight from their playbook particulary the "Western Art Music" schtick?

No. I listen to music for pleasure. Not sure why you listen to it.

I care nothing for the Ternary Form, or the Viennese School or counting notes or how many instruments there are.

Nor do I have any time for critics who claim some superior aesthetic sensibility.

You, as many others, cannot show any objective criteria for musical quality other than the "this is what I like and anyone who does not is a philistine".

Can I also ask if you are a member of the Friends of Radio 3 forum, because your comments are straight from their playbook particulary the "Western Art Music" schtick?

No, but I’m a working musician with a degree in music. All I’m calling you out on is your blatant ignorance in saying all classical music is the same.

No, but I’m a working musician with a degree in music. All I’m calling you out on is your blatant ignorance in saying all classical music is the same.
I did not say that.

What I do say is that even people with a degree in music have no objective crireia for quality but feel free to belittle those who don't care for Western Art Music.

You are a member of For3, surely?

All music, generally speaking, is formulaic - the concerto, the sonata, the symphony. Counting the notes proves little.

Hmmm, this was what I challenged. Perhaps you don’t remember writing it?

Your overall argument is fundamentally flawed though as music doesn’t fit into neat little tick-boxes that can be completed with a pen and clipboard like a health and safety survey. It’s a subjective thing, where you have to measure the challenge and innovation, the performance, and sometimes it goes whoosh, and sometimes falls down flat. Just listened to the new Spiritualized album, it’s completetly derivative of their old work, so I’d rather listen to Ladies and Gentlemen.

There’s masses of great music out there, but some people here seem to lazy to seek it out. Grime, loads of really innovative electronica, amazing new classical music, Kendrick Lamar, Kamasi Washington, Sons of Kemet, just a few I’ve heard of on here. To say that the popular music of the past is better is simply lazy.

Hmmm, this was what I challenged. Perhaps you don’t remember writing it?

Your overall argument is fundamentally flawed though as music doesn’t fit into neat little tick-boxes that can be completed with a pen and clipboard like a health and safety survey. It’s a subjective thing, where you have to measure the challenge and innovation, the performance, and sometimes it goes whoosh, and sometimes falls down flat. Just listened to the new Spiritualized album, it’s completetly derivative of their old work, so I’d rather listen to Ladies and Gentlemen.

There’s masses of great music out there, but some people here seem to lazy to seek it out. Grime, loads of really innovative electronica, amazing new classical music, Kendrick Lamar, Kamasi Washington, Sons of Kemet, just a few I’ve heard of on here. To say that the popular music of the past is better is simply lazy.
At last...

advertisement

Back