advertisement

The The - Infected

sadcafe

pfm Member
One of only a a handful of albums from the eighties that I still listen to. A furious and layered album covering Aids ( hence the title) Britain being America's poodle, the Middle East, self loathing etc. all this in a musically complex and well paced/sequenced album ( remember those). I seem to remember seeing a promotional film of the album at the time of release but not seen it referenced since.
Very different to Soul Mining which has some very good high points (Giant and Joolz Holland piano solo) but is a bit twee and lacks consistency.
Later albums also have good moments but to my mind, none have the musical creativity of Infected.

Not played that in a long long time, always liked it in the day, Dusk too I though was good by them.

I agree that this is a very good album with some quite stunning moments. I think Mind Bomb runs it very close. The original vinyl sounds very good indeed!

Cheers

Anthony

Soul Mining > Infected > Mindbomb...cracking trio of releases, I can't think of three (in sequence) albums that I prefer. Soul Mining is my favourite of the three.

infected is the most angry and has the most to say.

didnt work on my lp12 until the radikal/keel.

one of my favourite albums.

I really like the early singes, Soul Mining, Infected and Mind Bomb, plus the Matt Johnson solo Burning Blue Soul is good too, but I lose interest after Mind Bomb pretty rapidly.

An uncanny thread, this was dug out last night. This with Soul Mining are great albums. Mind Bomb a touch patchy though.

I just love those lyrics...

Lying with her legs parted
Squealing like a stuffed pig

Something like that, anyway.

Another thing I will add is that lyrics wise Mr Johnson has a way like few others, indeed when it comes to song lyrics I think it is safe to say I paid more attention to these lyrics (from Infected) than to the lyrics from any other album.

Playing now, and it still sounds damn fine, in fact I will say that it has aged fantastically.

A worthy contender for inclusion in an all time top 100 albums list.

I find lines from this album keep popping into my head at random times over the years. Great lyrics delivered with real emotion. It is in my essential section in my collection. Helped me through the eighties.

I'm sure I had the video of Infected , the album had a big impact on me in the 80's. Loved all the albums mentioned so far , but if I recall Naked Self wasn't too shabby .

I wonder if I still have my old VHS of Infected... As I've just seen one for sale on amazon for £45 ! Damn it who da thunk it .. I've got a funny feeling that a lot of my music CDV's and VHS's got lost or stollen or even the VHS ones dumped. I'm sure someone's just taking a punt and sticking any price on it.

The CDVideo of Infected turns up on ePay for around a tenner, usually. Also I believe that Classic Album Sundays are planning an Infected session (the recent Soul Mining sesh' was superb)

Steve

Three great albums that all play fantastic on the TT, superb lyrics and production. I could definitely see one maybe two in my top something or other. Thanks for the reminder I will have to have dig one out for a spin and a read of the lyric sheet.

advertisement

Back