advertisement

The The - Infected

Super string of albums. Johnny Marrs guitar playing in mind bomb and dusk take them into a different place. I would love him to hook up with Matt again for another the the record. Dusk was a major soundtrack to my late teens, especially late at night.....

Would love to hear an update of Heartland with his take on the redevelopment of Stratford.

Infected playing now.

I say again, this is an album which hasn’t aged. Still as good as it was back then. Part of my soundtrack to the eighties. And definitely in my all time top 100, of that I have no doubt.

A wonderful Trio, Soul Mining is my favourite as it was so important in my earlier years. I’ve been collecting signed originals. I can’t think of an artist I respect more.

MUBPqzn.jpg

iJnVZlq.jpg

SyOkT36.jpg

Saw them live in 1979 supporting Scritti Politti and PragVec (I was a massive fan of early Scritti, in the years before Green wanted to be a pop star. I even put on a Scritti gig for the Highgate Anti Apartheid Group in 1980). Bought Infected when it came out, and liked it, but never heard any of his other records, and probably haven't listened to Infected for 30 years. I suspect I wouldn't be able to listen to it all the way through now.

A few years ago I went to the anniversary screening of 'Infected' at the ICA. The album, and it's accompanying videos, were every bit as powerful and visceral as I remembered them from all those years ago (I watched the C4 screening of the entire album). Still one of the most important and prescient (eerily so) albums of the 80s and will forever remain in my top 10. All the videos are on YouTube and worth a look...

I played it (and the associated 12” singles) a while back and enjoyed it. I still think Soul Mining is the better album, but both are great. From my perspective there is enough distance now that ‘80s cliches (gated drum samples, low-bit reverb, DX7s, Fairlights etc) don’t sound as cringy as they did 20 years ago and have picked up a nostalgic element now. Infected is very much part of that aesthetic as is say most Prince, but both are great! Some really sample-heavy industrial stuff I liked at the time, e.g. Foetus, does sound pretty cheesy now though.

My friend who came over a couple of nights ago is a big fan of The The.

He said something about going to London related to The The, but I can’t remember what he said.

- great :)

He has just sent me the details. He is booked for this.

>
1st of October

THE THE – THE COMEBACK SPECIAL – EXCLUSIVE SCREENING AND Q&A

https://troxy.co.uk/event/the-the-the-comeback-special-exclusive-screening-and-qa/

I drag this out when he comes over, picked up from Selectadisc in Nottm. in 1981.

More images

The The – Cold Spell Ahead
Label:
Some Bizzare – BZS 4
Format:
Vinyl, 7", 45 RPM, Single
UK
Released:
Sep 1981

advertisement

Back