advertisement

The Ten Biggest Lies in Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am contemplating getting new speakers, any recommendations in the high quality, lowish price area? :)

Tim

Tim, I believe speakers are the most personal of all the components. Some are great for rock and others for classical. Also room size must be considered. You have to go out and hear as many as you can.

Louballoo

Firstly, I was referring to the anechoic response of the loudspeaker. +-2dB can be achieved anechoically, especially with a bit of DSP equalisation in the crossover.

Yes I know you were, however no-one listens in an anechoic chamber and in real life environments there is no one measured anechoic response plot that can represent the speaker sound as a whole in a room, which is what matters. Speaker design is well past that point in this day and age.

Is the power response of your preferred "as near perfect as it gets" speaker flat to +-2 dB? Do you even want it to be?

I've seen this before and the only point the article makes is that because we can't scientifically measure something, the writer pours scorn on the hearing of those who choose to follow certain paths. He speaks for no-one but himself and those who choose not to hear or for that matter, even listen with any degree of diligence.

If it can be heard by the poor thing that is the human ear it most certainly can be measured.

Tim, I believe speakers are the most personal of all the components. Some are great for rock and others for classical. Also room size must be considered. You have to go out and hear as many as you can.

Louballoo

Yes, but if price is no indicator of quality I would like a shortlist of the good cheap ones.

Looking for flat and extended frequency response, low distortion and fast transients.

Tim

Yes, that's the whole problem - sadly I seem very capable when it comes to spotting crossover issues / phase error / reflex ports etc. I always seem able to hear these things!

I think there may be an element of knowing those things are there, then "spotting" them.

FWIW, and I hope you don't take this the wrong way, there is no way I could live with big Tannoys in my system, so to an extent I guess I agree with the first post I quoted. I find them very unconvincing. There's always the caveat of different room acoustics, of course. And on top of that, we are all different, and we might be listening differently.

You are more than welcome to come up for a weekend, if you fancy, and bring your own music. For reasons beyond my control, I am Jazz central, these days.

Always fun...but poor old Serge simply does not grasp what is at issue. The problem is not what machines measure......but how we, as human beings, understand and interpret that signal. 'Sergeworld' sees people as test instruments on two legs.In fact, we can listen to some music, and then give utterly different descriptions of what we heard....which of your test instruments will sort that out Serge?
But, fun to rumble around in the undergrowth of schoolboy 'science'.

The 'problem' is that the very things that make a system enjoyable to you, and perhaps not to others are:

- Fully understood.
- Driven entirely by science
- Not magic
- Not due to unexplained phenomena
What on earth are you about about? You think I believe in magic?

You should come to my house. You won't find any magic here. You won't find fancy equipment racks, though it has to stand on something so I bought one for £50 secondhand. You won't find fancy mains conditioners, or fancy plugs, or strange knots and cables suspended from the floor, or any of that fluff here, just a system that plays music the way I like it to sound. You really must be confusing me with someone else, so as I said, I'm really not sure what your problem is.

No you don't, and it certainly isn't what you've been saying.
Earlier on you said Faithfulness to your own ideas of what sounds right is what counts.
This actually is EXACTLY what I've been saying all along. I said I agree with that comment, it has always been my position but apparently you know this isn't my position. :D

I like old Jazz, but now I have an enormous collection of avante-garde Jazz, left to me by a friend who sadly died last Christmas. Perhaps it was his idea of a joke!

Serge,

I'm not talking about fancy casework or the joys of owning components weighing at least 50 pounds that inflate the price for reasons unrelated to fidelity.

My contention is that basic CD players are not sufficiently good to be transparent.

Joe

Back it up with something then. What is it about your choice of CD player that makes it more Transparent than a basic device.

FWIW, and I hope you don't take this the wrong way, there is no way I could live with big Tannoys in my system, so to an extent I guess I agree with the first post I quoted. I find them very unconvincing. There's always the caveat of different room acoustics, of course. And on top of that, we are all different, and we might be listening differently.

To be honest I was only making the point as I feel Serge's argument is flawed, even if one remains within the parameters of replay kit. A whole other can of worms opens up when one starts thinking about what is actually on the tape, i.e. what is this truth you are trying to be true to? No one knows as one can only view it via tools which themselves contain distortion and colouration, i.e. can this "truth" only be unlocked using the exact monitor rig that recording was made with? That is certainly the way the artist and engineer made all the important decisions, and somewhat ironically my big old Tannoys start gaining points here as so many thousands of recordings were made with them as the reference point! From a historical perspective they are probably the most ubiquitous studio monitor after the NS10. My view is that one should accept that flaws are inherent in audio replay equipment and simply choose / balance the flaws according to personal taste, that is the only point I was trying to make. Any attempt to intellectualise it beyond that always reaches one of several logical impasses IME.

You are more than welcome to come up for a weekend, if you fancy, and bring your own music. For reasons beyond my control, I am Jazz central, these days.

I certainly plan to at some point as it would be fun, though sadly ATCs are so far out of my price range as to be an utter irrelevance. If I go down the active monitor route it will be at the Even Opal, K&H O300 level, i.e. pretty decent nearfields.

Thighs,

Back it up with something then.
You could phrase your comment less imperatively / more politely. :)

What is it about your choice of CD player that makes it more Transparent than a basic device.
I don't have any measurements to back up my contention — I live in a house, not a lab — but to my ears my Naim CD2 sounds more like the real thing than my Sony DVD player.* I imagine it's down to a combination of things, possibly the Naim CD player having a better regulated, lower noise power supply, but as I said a page ago I have a cursory understanding of how digital works.

I'm not implying, by the way, that the CD2 is the pinnacle of high fidelity then or now. Perhaps it's beaten by many much cheaper options today, but it was the best CD player I heard that was within budget a decade and a half ago when I bought it.

Joe

* When it was working. The Sony went pfft a while ago.

MVV,

No, I mean pfft. Although the Sony worked fine for many years, it started to have trouble playing anything but pristine DVDs. Most disc rentals became an exercise in futility, as the machine would either lock up or jump from scene to scene.

It eventually got the the point where even clean DVDs were a challenge. The straw that broke the camel's back was when it froze just as the Dude was explaining to Walter and Donny about the thugs who micturated on his rug.

That's my favourite scene, man, and it really ties the movie together... unless you're watching it on a Sony DVD player that's gone pfft.

Joe

My contention is that basic CD players are not sufficiently good to be transparent.
Some very professionally conducted tests in which I participated demonstrated that CD was essentially transparent nearly twenty years ago.

Interestingly, an awful lot of players seem to have come to market since then that quite clearly are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back