advertisement

The Steve Davis Band (Utopia Strong)

I was aware he is a massive prog fan and that he's a very well regarded DJ, too. I remember hearing a story about him setting up a company for the sole purpose of bringing his favourite French band to come over to play a gig in London. Top bloke if true.

I was aware he is a massive prog fan and that he's a very well regarded DJ, too. I remember hearing a story about him setting up a company for the sole purpose of bringing his favourite French band to come over to play a gig in London. Top bloke if true.

The band Magma. SD is an obsessive Christian Vander fan (Magma’s virtuoso drummer and leader).

Top bloke indeed. Djed at Liverpool Psych Fest a few years ago and was in the crowd at the Rocket Recordings all=dayer last year. His DJ set with Kavus in Oxford was a stunner (though it has to be said that it appeared to be Kavus doing the legwork). He, apparently, does a bit of sports commentary on the BBC too.

When played a show on BBC6 music a few years back now. I emailed the show, and he read it out.

"Steve i think you are a top man, but my god your taste in music is appalling" laughing as he read out.

Bloss

Thanks for the heads up. I bought the previous album, and was very impressed, so I've jumped on this ltd edition.

I stupidly missed The Utopia Strong when they played in London recently. People who went said he was super nice and a proper synth geek.

I stupidly missed The Utopia Strong when they played in London recently. People who went said he was super nice and a proper synth geek.

I wonder what the music was like? The sample track on Bandcamp sounds like a more ambient version of mid period Univers Zero, another drummer lead band influenced by Magma. SD's prog credentials seem intact.

He did an hour-long prog under the Stuart Maconie banner last year of his favourite modular synth pieces. It’s probably still on iPlayer or whatever it’s called nowadays. I think it was around September.

Edit: Here’s the listing - ‘not currently available.’ But I’m almost certain I have an mp3 should anyone want to hear it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000879q

Last edited:
The band Magma. SD is an obsessive Christian Vander fan (Magma’s virtuoso drummer and leader).

I saw Magma at The Barbican in 2009. Their setlist, which I have just nicked off YouTube, was:

1) Slag Tanz
2) Felicite Thosz
3) Emehnteht-Re
4) Kobaia (Encore)

From what I recall they sounded pretty much like they did decades ago.

Jack

They are playing at a psych fest in Glastonbury in April at what has to be one of the worst venues I've ever been to. Utterly useless stage layout and grumpy bar manager too useless to lay on adequate quantities of beer or the staff to (not) serve it. Typical Glastonbury cosmic-ploitation baloney-check them out somewhere else and if Steve/Kavus do a DJ set too then you are in for a treat.

My copy turned up today safe and sound; no corner dings, vinyl unmarked (now cleaned and in a fresh Nagaoka ready for a spin later). Looks great, #14/250 and fully signed on rear sleeve. Can’t see this one being anything other than an investment!

advertisement

Back