advertisement

The Spendor BC1

Bextrene is a great material IMO but the amplifier needs to be matched well. If it is, then it can sound truly excellent.

I can’t say I’ve noticed that there is any real problem with matching, but if that’s your experience
then fair enough...

"oldius said:
Bextrene is a great material IMO but the amplifier needs to be matched well. If it is, then it can sound truly excellent."

I can’t say I’ve noticed that there is any real problem with matching, but if that’s your experience
then fair enough...

I'm sure the BBC's research department would have been amazed to find that types of plastic need matching to amplifiers!

I've never heard the BC1 but I have owned Rogers Studio 1 which is a similar design. I wonder how close in character they are.
There's a pair of BC1 for sale near me at the moment but I don't really have the cash to nab them.

I've never heard the BC1 but I have owned Rogers Studio 1 which is a similar design. I wonder how close in character they are.
There's a pair of BC1 for sale near me at the moment but I don't really have the cash to nab them.

If you don’t mind me asking, what price ?
BC1s can go from about £150 ( tatty ) to £650/£700 ( mint ) but from what I’ve seen
around £400 is what you should expect to pay.
I got a pair with good condition cabinets, but one bass/mid. not working for £225 about two
years ago.
I re-connected the flexible braid from the connector block to the voice coil and all has been well
since then.

If you don’t mind me asking, what price ?
They're on ebay, £450 or best offer, early pair but both mid/bass drivers have been replaced by Spendor with the later non-alnico versions. Not perfect nick, but quite a nice mahogany finish complete with stands. I've seen a few pairs go for ~£250 in the past, but have never yet tried to buy any.

They're on ebay, £450 or best offer, early pair but both mid/bass drivers have been replaced by Spendor with the later non-alnico versions. Not perfect nick, but quite a nice mahogany finish complete with stands. I've seen a few pairs go for ~£250 in the past, but have never yet tried to buy any.

They look as though they were a pair with the white surrounds. I gather the black gauze was to help hide the surrounds from view.
Mind you, I doubt you could see them easily through the Spendor grilles.
My early pair had white surrounds ( Serial numbers 6703/4 ) which ‘drooped’ during the hot summer of
‘76.
My Spendor agent inverted the drivers which cured things, then Spendor fitted new bass/mids. about a
year later.
Wonderful speakers, BC1s...

I picked up a pair of B&W DM4 a few years back that I quite enjoyed for a while, and I recall reading that people described their character as being quite similar to the BC1 (partly due to the same hf units perhaps) but with less bass. I liked the DM4 but found them a bit tizzy at times, can the BC1 also sound a bit sibilant?

I've owned two pair of Both, the BC1 in alnico and later less fragile ferrite magnet versions and Rogers Studio 1 and 1a's. Though similar I preferred the Rogers

I've owned two pair of Both, the BC1 in alnico and later less fragile ferrite magnet versions and Rogers Studio 1 and 1a's. Though similar I preferred the Rogers

I’ve recently acquired a pair of Rogers Studio 7s needing some restoration, mainly cosmetic.
I gave them a half-hour listen before they went for the restoration work.
As a long-term BC1 owner, I was interested what Rogers’ take on the ‘BBC 2 cubic foot box’ would
sound like.
Not unlike BC1s, actually.

Given their BBC roots, it wasn’t surprising.
The Rogers had a tighter bass than the Spendors and the midrange was similar, the Studio 7s being a little less
prominent it the midrange.
The mid. to top was very smooth and not at all prominent.

The imaging of the Rogers was very similar to the Spendors, but the BC1s appeared to
have a slightly greater depth of image.
Not much in it, though.
I’m looking forward to getting the Rogers back home and longer listening sessions.

...enjoy!

That is a very interesting video; it made me realise, that I own virtually no modern hi-fi apart from the Auralic Aries mini and even that is obsolete! The attention to detail that he describes is quite staggering.

Agree the Spendor BC1 is one of the great Classic Speakers--far more musical than some of the current blots on the Wallet like Magico ,YG/etc.

D41

Magico is a very good example of $$$$$$$ vs $ for a good vintage BC-1 that will bring the same level of satisfaction IMO.

advertisement

Back