advertisement

The Shingles Vaccine(s)

You are the only person I know.. including numerous well informed medical practitioners and organisations such as the NHS etc...who believes that.

Like I said - track down possibly "THE" UK expert and take it up with him. He was obviously talking total kack on whatever R4 science programme it was.
Even one part of the NHS website says that differences in symptoms between cold and flu virus infection do not really exist.

I will say again, you are talking about what is actually infecting a person NOT the symptoms. When anyone says that they have a cold, they DO NOT mean, I am infected with XYZ virus, they mean that they have a blocked/runny nose, are sneezing, have a sore throat and frequently have a cough. The influenza virus can and does do EXACTLY the same to some people - almost certainly me included, thankfully - I have no wish whatsoever to have influenza symptoms ever again.

Don't be silly. Flu comes in cans.
s87-0795p01wl.jpg

Even one part of the NHS website says that differences in symptoms between cold and flu virus infection do not relly exist.

Please find that and link to it..otherwise it didn't happen.

When anyone says that they have a cold, they DO NOT mean, I am infected with XYZ virus, they mean that they have a blocked/runny nose, are sneezing, have a sore throat and frequently have a cough.

Yep.. it's generally true that people saying they have a cold... have a cold...although some people seem to confuse hay fever with a cold..

But when I am confronted by a good friend who has just given a stonking set on stage in the Cavern and he tells me he's surprised he got through it because he's 'got the Flu again'.. I just laugh and tell him yet again that if he really had 'the Flu'..he would not have made it to the Cavern..much less done a 40 minute set singing and playing guitar.

Both links state that there is no dividing line between cold and flu symptoms.
How does that prove your point?

Both links state that there is no dividing line between cold and flu symptoms.
How does that prove your point?
No sorry.. they just don't. They say there is some overlap, but they also point out the very real differences, especially in speed of onset, level of fever, severity and duration.

Like I said - take it up with "THE" UK expert who said what I have repeated.

Possibly on Inside Science.
It stuck like glue to my memory because I had always wondered why I have had flu symptoms just once in my entire life.

Popped into the surgery for my 3 monthly B12 booster this morning and got a free Shingles jab just by asking. I must say I don’t recall them publicising it though, it was only that the nurse practitioner happened to mentioned I was eligible for it on a previous occasion.

I had the second half of the Shingrix vaccine yesterday, and it has left me absolutely completely knocked out.

1 in 10 apparently have a bad reaction to it, so that would be me then.

If you end up getting a vaccine, you might just want to plan for being out of action the next day, in case you are in the bad reaction group.

FWIW in the UK now, if you become 65 from September 2023 onwards you will be offered a shingles vaccine. If you are already 65 or older you will still have to wait until you're 70. 80 is right out, you've missed the chance.

I assume there are some statisticians in the NHS somewhere maximising benefit. I've never seen the point of the flu vaccine but if I'm still around at 65 I'll go for this one, even if it's not clear how it works.

Apols if this is covered earlier in the thread, I don’t remember:
Is there any point in having the vaccine if you’ve had shingles already?

I had the second half of the Shingrix vaccine yesterday, and it has left me absolutely completely knocked out.

1 in 10 apparently have a bad reaction to it, so that would be me then.

If you end up getting a vaccine, you might just want to plan for being out of action the next day, in case you are in the bad reaction group.

Same here, I felt pretty miserable the day after my first shingles vaccination. I don't remember the second booster having as much effect though.

Apols if this is covered earlier in the thread, I don’t remember: Is there any point in having the vaccine if you’ve had shingles already?

Back in June my wife had a bad case of shingles across the right side of her face & over her skull. Accompanied by ice pick like headaches as she described it. It took nearly six weeks to calm down but she is still left with scaring over her forehead - disguised at the moment by a longer hair fringe. Her doctor was a bit worried by damage to her eyesight but that seems to be OK.

She had been eligible for a Shingrix vaccination & booster here in Ontario - over 65, but had not gotten around to it. Meantime, I am a few years younger - I went to a private clinic and got the vaccine - CDN$165....sod waiting after seeing the impact on her. Of course the vaccination does not fully prevent it occurring but the symptoms are much less impactful. I had the booster this past weekend and no side effects from either injection. Hurrah.

At the check up last week, her Doctor has advised she get the vaccination even afterward's - sometime in the next couple of months.

advertisement

Back