advertisement

The search for a new speaker begins

Mixed opinions obvs - considered a Sub? I've happily used various REL/ProAc combos for many years

I have had a small sub in and out over the years, but certainly for music, I prefer without a sub. I don’t really like the pulsing sensation they give.

I have had a small sub in and out over the years, but certainly for music, I prefer without a sub. I don’t really like the pulsing sensation they give.
Dialled in they should not be noticeable until removed and leave you with a feeling something is missing, not just bottom end but overall, not a thing for everyone the Sub+Sats.

Dialled in they should not be noticeable until removed and leave you with a feeling something is missing, not just bottom end but overall, not a thing for everyone the Sub+Sats.
Indeed. IME a pair of properly integrated good subs can work really well.
Unfortunately there are many situations where people heard a badly integrated sub and naturally concluded that a sub is not appropriate for music.

Indeed. IME a pair of properly integrated good subs can work really well.
Unfortunately there are many situations where people heard a badly integrated sub and naturally concluded that a sub is not appropriate for music.

I am sure you are right, but a pair of subs in this room is not acceptable to my good lady, or even one. The small BK sub I had was way too slow, like a plodding elephant.

The sub itself isn’t slow, subs just need ( which has already been mentioned) to be properly integrated with something like a mini-dsp processor, less kerfuffle to buy full range loudspeakers in the first instance.
Keith

The sub itself isn’t slow, subs just need ( which has already been mentioned) to be properly integrated with something like a mini-dsp processor, less kerfuffle to buy full range loudspeakers in the first instance.
Keith

I agree. To be honest, super deep bass is not an issue for me, I am more concerned about the quality. The bass from the JPWs is enough for me, and they are quoted at 60HZ.

It is possible to have both really right bass with no overhang and completely full range down to 20Hz but it means acoustic measurement and some room EQ, both of which are really straightforward.
Keith

This is too tricky to choose without a listen. The signature sound of different brands is very noticeable. I’ve owned Focal Utopias, AE1s, small ATCs, Boenicke W5, Totem Mite. I’ve also listened to the Dynaudio Special 40s. The latter were good but......

If you want fast punchy sounds the Focals are amazing - but perhaps try the Focal 1028Be as the Diablos are mighty fussy about front ends. They will only cost you £1500 ish secondhand.

Everything else is refined compared to Focal . But Proacs are different to Dynaudio are different to ATC. I wouldn’t choose without a listen

The best small speakers I’ve heard with detail, bass and overall presentation are Boenicke . They are tiny but fantastic. You wouldn’t believe the bass from such tiny cabinets. You should get those for £2500 or less s/h

The Dynaudio 40s will be with me shortly, if nothing else I will learn more about my preferences. I did have a pair of Focal Arias once, lovely sounding speaker, and yet, still preferred the Proac, so you are right, you never know what you will click with. Maybe I am already with my perfect speaker mate, hard to believe there isn’t something out there I would like more, I am going to at least try.

advertisement

Back