advertisement

The search for a new speaker begins

Bronzeage

pfm Member
A small windfall means I can stretch out a bit. Amp has been sorted with Micromega M-150, with its very handy room correction and superb built in dac. Have to admit, everything is sounding pretty peachy now, but the itch to find a better speaker is there to scratch.

Currently, using Proac Tablette Anniversary. They provide more than enough bass, have vocals to die for, and just really relax the ears. If they have a weakness, it is scale and openess. I can tell from the much cheaper JPW monitors that there are details that are slightly recessed.

On trial at the moment are Audiovector R1 Avantgarde stand mounts. They are beautifully made, I have to say. They are a nice listen, quite a large soundstage and well controlled bass.
However, with the Proacs, it is like having real performers in the room, the Audiovector are more like hearing them from way further back. Also, they just don’t have the rich tonality of the Proacs, so they will be going back.

Next on the list are Dynaudio 40, no experience with that brand, but was told they are more dynamic.

If they don’t work out, then I am thinking about Proac DB1, or the D2 (dome tweeter), but I am also curious about Spendor Classic line, and maybe Graham Audio.

Any other suggestions? Budget is up to £4000. Stand mounts only, due to space restrictions.

Have ProAc Studios and when ready to upgrade the DB1 and Special 40's will be first I demo. If you have room have you considered panels like the Maggie LRS or Martin Logan.

special 40`s are very good too

even better than all those [ imho ] is the tannoy eaton legacy which is within budget if you haggle

absolutely superb speaker which are controllable to your room . BIG sound

The LRS is on my radar, might just be able to squeeze them in, but Martin Logan are sadly just too big, which is a shame, as I suspect they would sound amazing.

hifinutt, thanks for the suggestion, a long way from where I live, and I am weary of spending such an amount with no buyer protection, but that is a super price.

The Eaton legacy, well now that does look interesting..

The LRS is on my radar, might just be able to squeeze them in, but Martin Logan are sadly just too big, which is a shame, as I suspect they would sound amazing.

hifinutt, thanks for the suggestion, a long way from where I live, and I am weary of spending such an amount with no buyer protection, but that is a super price.

MLs aren’t for everyone, been through a shed load of box speakers before getting 11a, for us nothing came close in demos £/£, Wilsons were up there but a fair bit dearer. @Del monaco is well pleased with his LRS maybe search pfm for some of his impressions.

You can’t go wrong with the Proac Response D2 with fabric tweeter as they will have a similar sound signature as your actual Tablette but with more impact on percussion and punchier bass without being bloated.
Spendor will sound quieter and the Dynaudio Special 40 won’t be as natural or transparent as the two Proac speakers you are comparing to although the tweeter might be a tad more detailed.
All IMO of course.

You can’t go wrong with the Proac Response D2 with fabric tweeter as they will have a similar sound signature as your actual Tablette but with more impact on percussion and punchier bass without being bloated.
Spendor will sound quieter and the Dynaudio Special 40 won’t be as natural or transparent as the two Proac speakers you are comparing to although the tweeter might be a tad more detailed.
All IMO of course.

Thank you, that is very useful to know. I have had the thought in my head that the Tablette might just be the most perfect speaker for this room. I have the D18s in another room, and have tried them here, but they just don’t have the same get up and go, so I am wondering if the D2 sounds similar to the D18.

I got mine from a dealer from Stockton on Tees. Most enjoyable speakers I’ve owned. Lovely transparency which exposes layering and placement of sounds very well. I listen to classical the majority of the time. Soundstage is very impressive and vocals are immediate and palpable on good recordings. I’m experimenting with an old sub at the moment to see if I’d like to add more bass. It was the best move I ever made to forsake my admittedly likeable boxes for the LRSs and it has sent me on another exhilarating pathway. Well worth an audition as long as you recognise their presentational differences and more limited bass performance.

Thank you, that is very useful to know. I have had the thought in my head that the Tablette might just be the most perfect speaker for this room. I have the D18s in another room, and have tried them here, but they just don’t have the same get up and go, so I am wondering if the D2 sounds similar to the D18.
The D18 have a deeper bass than the D20 but they are slower as well. The D20 are also livelier and the snare drum has more impact on the D20.
FYI, I listen to the D20 several times, they were driven by a Supernait and I couldn’t imagine more get up and go than this !

The D18 have a deeper bass than the D20 but they are slower as well. The D20 are also livelier and the snare drum has more impact on the D20.
FYI, I listen to the D20 several times, they were driven by a Supernait and I couldn’t imagine more get up and go than this !

Definitely going to see if I can get them auditioned, they could be perfect for me. I think you mean the D2 not the floor standing D20 though?

More difficult to drive than the Dynaudio Special 40s but the Monitor Audio PL100 II are clearly better speakers. (Alas, not sure if your integrated amp will drive them properly)

More difficult to drive than the Dynaudio Special 40s but the Monitor Audio PL100 II are clearly better speakers. (Alas, not sure if your integrated amp will drive them properly)

Is 150 watts not enough? Not sure I want a speaker that power hungry, and never heard a Monitor Audio I like, but obviously you have experience with them, so I will take your suggestion seriously.

Is 150 watts not enough? Not sure I want a speaker that power hungry, and never heard a Monitor Audio I like, but obviously you have experience with them, so I will take your suggestion seriously.
It's not really about power, but for these Platinum II speakers to really play at their best a very good amp is needed. Probably your amp will be a great fit, but as I never heard them with a Micromega M15O I just wanted to signal that as a caveat. The Special 40s play well with most good amps.

You're right, I know these PL100 II well, as I have a pair in my stereo setup and truly love them.

Good luck with your choices!

A small windfall means I can stretch out a bit. Amp has been sorted with Micromega M-150, with its very handy room correction and superb built in dac. Have to admit, everything is sounding pretty peachy now, but the itch to find a better speaker is there to scratch.

Currently, using Proac Tablette Anniversary. They provide more than enough bass, have vocals to die for, and just really relax the ears. If they have a weakness, it is scale and openess. I can tell from the much cheaper JPW monitors that there are details that are slightly recessed.

On trial at the moment are Audiovector R1 Avantgarde stand mounts. They are beautifully made, I have to say. They are a nice listen, quite a large soundstage and well controlled bass.
However, with the Proacs, it is like having real performers in the room, the Audiovector are more like hearing them from way further back. Also, they just don’t have the rich tonality of the Proacs, so they will be going back.

Next on the list are Dynaudio 40, no experience with that brand, but was told they are more dynamic.

If they don’t work out, then I am thinking about Proac DB1, or the D2 (dome tweeter), but I am also curious about Spendor Classic line, and maybe Graham Audio.

Any other suggestions? Budget is up to £4000. Stand mounts only, due to space restrictions.
Wow..those jpw's must be something for you discern a problem with the proacs! What do you listen to most? If its streaming ? Try a schiit eitr in front of dac? That may solve the openness and scale issue? If not? Can it be secondhand speakers?

advertisement

Back