advertisement

The Scalford 2017 Non-contentious Thread

As one of the exhibitors I'd just like to thank any of you who came to the show.
Meeting fellow enthusiasts and hearing new music is always fun. :)

Thanks for the mention in despatches. I had doubts whether the Quad II's driving the ProAcs in that room would work, and was very happy with the outcome.

They sounded very fine indeed when I popped in briefly before the Show started yesterday morning - and that Grado's a bit special too. :cool:

I have to thank Marc Morin for guiding me in how to get the best out of the Grado Signature 4 - it's fitted with an MCZ stylus and loaded down to 10k instead of the usual 47k.

Highly recommended if you can find one.

There was another system that really stood out to me, I need to get my guide out of the car to get the owners name but I can tell you that it featured Living Voice Avatars, a lovely tube amp and a Chevron Audio DAC, that setup sounded really lovely to my ears.

Thankyou for your kind comments. This was the first time i exhibited my system, so i was a newbie really to the show. Colin from Chevron Audio offered to guide me through the pros and cons of the event really. Over the last couple of years i have been one of Colins customers and he has assisted in helping me acheive the sound that i have today. The latest addition to that system was the DDDAC 1794 that he has put his own twist on and before that he made me my Hypex which to my ears brings me something different from what the Canary Audio brings, both though, i think work very well with my Avatars. :)

The Chevron DAC through the Canary Audio amp was pretty special, the hypex was quite different to my ears but also excellent, I thoroughly enjoyed both. The choice of music was great too which helps. Same goes for Grommit's room and Rick E's room. In each room I could just sit and enjoy the music, which is what it's all about after all.

The Chevron DAC through the Canary Audio amp was pretty special, the hypex was quite different to my ears but also excellent, I thoroughly enjoyed both. The choice of music was great too which helps. Same goes for Grommit's room and Rick E's room. In each room I could just sit and enjoy the music, which is what it's all about after all.

I agree, the Canary and the Chevron DDDAC is a very musical combination. The Hypex brings in more detail and tightens the bass up a little bit. I had a bit of a love hate relationship with the Hypex at first, but once you listen to it in this system for a few days you begin to realise what it does, it does very well.

I agree, the Canary and the Chevron DDDAC is a very musical combination. The Hypex brings in more detail and tightens the bass up a little bit. I had a bit of a love hate relationship with the Hypex at first, but once you listen to it is in this system for a few days you begin to realise what it does, it does very well.

I will never write a piece of kit off until I have spent a week or more evaluating it... unless it's totally unsuited of course. Although I had very limited time to listen to both amps, they were clearly very different and both had their merits, I can understand your reasoning for keeping both. I have different systems in different parts of the house, not just for convenience but for diversity too, they all have a different presentation and I enjoy them all.

Hi everyone,

Firstly thank you to Tony for making the effort to come and find me, it was lovely to finally meet you. Thanks to everyone from PFM who exhibited and visited, it's a big weekend and I was humbled by the effort everyone makes. many of us seem to be members across all forums and next year I would like to offer PFM their own set of collective rooms 'logistics I am working on' if there is enough interest. I know many of you will have seen the overwhelming responses to how great the show was and so I opened up the booking thread for 2018 and already there are 33 names on the list for a room so if you haven't seen it then get your name down. Big thanks from Rachel and myself again to all who came.

Absolutely nothing similar that I'm aware of here in the States. What you all do at this show is just great. In the best meaning of the word I envy what you do and the obvious fun you have.

Absolutely nothing similar that I'm aware of here in the States. What you all do at this show is just great. In the best meaning of the word I envy what you do and the obvious fun you have.

I expect it works so well because both HFWW and PFM are predominantly UK based and the U.K. is relatively small and Scalford is fairly central. I only have to travel about 55 miles and I actually enjoy the drive (most of it is winding country roads). I'm already eagerly awaiting next years show. Also I think that there are a lot of us hifi nerds per capita here. I know quiet a few personally who aren't members here. It's a great event and I wish you could experience it.

I expect it works so well because both HFWW and PFM are predominantly UK based and the U.K. is relatively small and Scalford is fairly central. I only have to travel about 55 miles and I actually enjoy the drive (most of it is winding country roads). I'm already eagerly awaiting next years show. Also I think that there are a lot of us hifi nerds per capita here. I know quiet a few personally who aren't members here. It's a great event and I wish you could experience it.

I believe we have airports with flights to and from America - start planning for 2018? :)

Although, of course, we might soon be on a travel ban list...

advertisement

Back