advertisement

The Scalford 2017 Non-contentious Thread

sunbeamgls

pfm Member
So Tony has closed the previous thread as the content was going in a direction he didn't appreciate.

So here's the thread that's nothing to do with the whys and wherefors of the show and its forum. Its about who's going, meet ups, anticipation of systems and other activities, beer, curry and then reports about what was seen and heard at the show - systems and music.

Probably.

So, what's piquing people's interest so far?

I'm going, also if anyone wants a ride down and they are en route (I'm near the A5 muckley corner), I can carry up to four people (if you can squeeze in a VW golf)... I will be parking at the venue because I'm disabled.

As for what's piquing my interest, same as ever really, seeing how other people do things, looking forward to the modest yet excellent sounding systems, having a chat with people, possibly buying some kit that I absolutely don't need.

I'm going, also if anyone wants a ride down and they are en route (I'm near the A5 muckley corner), I can carry up to four people (if you can squeeze in a VW golf)... I will be parking at the venue because I'm disabled.

Will be good to see you again. :)

Can people say they aren't going? I cannot eat Pork Pies, Curries or all the other stuff anymore sadly so would get a bit light headed if I was there. Although I have never been there is a direction this year has appeared to go that does not attract me.

Perhaps I ought to buy a ticket, like I paid to be a Wonder Wammer even though none of the benefits attracted me.

Likewise! Still really enjoying the Sapphires by the way, one of those purchases I really didn't need but I'm glad I made. They get a lot more use than I'd expected.

Great to know they've gone to a good home. :cool:

I haven't had my last pair of Royds, that's for sure - like my beloved Exposure amplifiers...'you can check out, but you'll never leave' :)

....... here's the thread that's nothing to do with the whys and wherefors of the show and its forum. Its about who's going, meet ups, anticipation of systems and other activities,?

Can people say they aren't going? Although I have never been there is a direction this year has appeared to go that does not attract me.

Answered and asked?

No, I don't think it is in the spirit of the thread.

Start your own " I'm not going " thread and see how it get on.

what's peeking people's interest so far?

Whether you are running a charity, or whether, now this is a commercial enterprise, you are promoting the hell out of it for personal gain?

Can people say they aren't going? I cannot eat Pork Pies, Curries or all the other stuff anymore sadly so would get a bit light headed if I was there. Although I have never been there is a direction this year has appeared to go that does not attract me.

Perhaps I ought to buy a ticket, like I paid to be a Wonder Wammer even though none of the benefits attracted me.
Are you miserable/negative for a living?:rolleyes:

I think you've missed this thread's title.

Whether you are running a charity, or whether, now this is a commercial enterprise, you are promoting the hell out of it for personal gain?

If you mean financial gain or any relationship to the Wam, absolutely not. No. (other than being a member)

If you mean do I see personal gain from the perspective of enjoying the best hifi weekend in UK in the ways I have done in the previous 4 visits and not wanting it to die, then yes, guilty. I make no apologies for wanting this show to continue for the sake of the community and my own enjoyment of same. Lets give it a chance. I've always "promoted" the show on various forums and my blog, as I'm enthusiastic about the show.

You can put your conspiracy theory back to bed.

Likewise! Still really enjoying the Sapphires by the way, one of those purchases I really didn't need but I'm glad I made. They get a lot more use than I'd expected.

Most likely using Royd Sintra's in my room this year if you're interested in popping in. Room 200.

Whatever, it'll still be a hifi show unlike others, a bit of fun and a day out. The format has changed each of the three times I've been, and last year a marquee appeared as from nowhere (I didn't know about it), which was a useful addition. Surprisingly, after all the hullabaloo, parking within the vicinity was a doddle.

Amazing what people will go through to present their systems in hotel rooms to sound as good as they frequently do. Hats off !

Most likely using Royd Sintra's in my room this year if you're interested in popping in. Room 200.

Absolutely, I'm genuinely interested in how the Sinatra compares, I've seen a couple of pairs pop up around the £200 mark and have wondered if they are worth the step, I think I paid around £60-£80 for my sapphires but I really can't remember. They were a bargain anyway... almost mint condition but for some flaking paint on one of the driver frames (not rectified to like new).

I'm really taken with how good they sound for the money, they have their limitations but what they do well, they do really well and they have no offensive attributes. Now compare them to the Focal 1038Be that I paid £5k for (they usually retail for closer £8k), my heart sank when I got them setup at home, they did have offensive attributes, even though they did some things brilliantly, they were overly aggressive with a sting to the treble and overblown bass. I actually prefer the little Royds to an £8k floorstander.

Nice one - I'm in 201 which is just across the corridor. :)

Will be taking along the Exposure Super XV I just bought from Foxwelljsly so plan to run the Cyrus amp in the morning, the Exposure in the afternoon.

Absolutely, I'm genuinely interested in how the Sinatra compares, I've seen a couple of pairs pop up around the £200 mark and have wondered if they are worth the step, I think I paid around £60-£80 for my sapphires but I really can't remember. They were a bargain anyway... almost mint condition but for some flaking paint on one of the driver frames (not rectified to like new).

I'm really taken with how good they sound for the money, they have their limitations but what they do well, they do really well and they have no offensive attributes. Now compare them to the Focal 1038Be that I paid £5k for (they usually retail for closer £8k), my heart sank when I got them setup at home, they did have offensive attributes, even though they did some things brilliantly, they were overly aggressive with a sting to the treble and overblown bass. I actually prefer the little Royds to an £8k floorstander.

More proof that price does not guarantee system synergy, room integration nor a more a musical result.

I'll be there visiting and most likely lending a hand to my newbie mate who is exhibiting for the first time. I'm most looking forward to seeing different kit in the larger rooms from what has gone into them the last couple of years. I've never really been a fan of huge horns so it'll be nice to see some of the systems that have been built in the WAM DIY room this last year. Especially RV's huge aluminium open baffle jobbies.

I'll be exhibiting in room 211. I haven't finalised my kit list but I will be using Graham Audio LS5/9 speakers on Something Solid stands.

Nice one - I'm in 201 which is just across the corridor. :)

Will be taking along the Exposure Super XV I just bought from Foxwelljsly so plan to run the Cyrus amp in the morning, the Exposure in the afternoon.

You'll be busy in the afternoon then. ;)

advertisement

Back