advertisement

The runners' thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gutted not to be doing one this morning. No real pain from the calf, just feeling a little tight. Can do tiptoes, stretch it on the bottom stair, been foam rolling it. Might try it out tomorrow. When I went on Tuesday it started off feeling stiff, then it went away. Perhaps I’m being over sensitive. It doesn’t hurt, just feels stiff now. Hope you have a good weekends running guys.

Sore calf’s will benefit from a run and stretch. Just take it easy. I have to go be very injured not to go training

Derek, profound words. Running does give you a high, but for every high there's a come-down. My approach is to ensure that there's always some other goal on the horizon; I'd booked Strathearn before I'd run London, say. So, even though London was a bit of a bad day, I was able to lick my wounds, reflect and refocus on the next thing. Which has kept me sane, too. But, seriously, though, pop through some weekend and we'll do a parkrun or something. And you might consider joining a running club; pick a decent one and it's a social fabric as much as a training regime.

To avoid the comedown, just go running . Marathons are not actually meant to be actually enjoyed so in that sense they don’t count. The training is mostly me@nt to be fun.

To avoid the comedown, just go running . Marathons are not actually meant to be actually enjoyed so in that sense they don’t count. The training is mostly me@nt to be fun.
^^^What John said Derek^^^. I went out on Friday for 5 miles without recording it on Strava...no thoughts, no times, no cadence, no elevation, no pressure....just me, nature, my beating heart and the open road.

^^^What John said Derek^^^. I went out on Friday for 5 miles without recording it on Strava...no thoughts, no times, no cadence, no elevation, no pressure....just me, nature, my beating heart and the open road.

Yeah, keeping it simple is what I need :)

On the subject of injury, today I mostly face-planted after the kevlar(?) laces on my Salomon trail shoes somehow snagged the underside of an iron gate, causing all six foot of me to go down like a sack of spuds. Bruised knee and sprained wrist. Made me feel a bit stupid, but then I was lucky not to actually break the wrist. It's difficult to type right now, but suffice to say I will be a bit more careful to tuck those fancy laces in next time I'm on the trails...

Otherwise, it's been a good weekend of runs. Finished 343/1250+ runners on Friday's race with a PB time, a nice even tempo 10K last night (where my pace varied by no more than 6s between slowest and fastest KM split) and today's trail run / face plant, which was otherwise good fun...

I may skip the running tomorrow and rest the arm, which I've discovered is actually integral to running at any pace, especially uphills...

PS. This is the kind of thing we have to put up with up here at this time of year:

Haven't had to run in these conditions this year, but did a 12-mile route about a year ago that was just like this, and suffice to say it was grim... I got them in my ears, eyes, up my nose, throat, and midge corpses even found their way into my socks..... lovely :/

Bleaghhh, how long are they around for?

Managed my five miles, no pain, just little twinges. Hoping tomorrow doesn’t bring any nasty surprises. Just need to find another mile and a bit for the 10k on the 8th July.

Tail end Charlie signing off. Heading for the shower and then beer!

PS. This is the kind of thing we have to put up with up here at this time of year:

Haven't had to run in these conditions this year, but did a 12-mile route about a year ago that was just like this, and suffice to say it was grim... I got them in my ears, eyes, up my nose, throat, and midge corpses even found their way into my socks..... lovely :/

If I was running up there I'd cover my head with a pair of bank robber tights! Nothing worse than a ingesting something of the flying variety!

It's all very quiet here...not running due to to something in my lower back going ping whilst putting the recycling out, bloody hell it was painful, just like someone had stabbed me at the bottom of my spine. Its gradually feeling better but it's still tender, any ideas? It can't be a slipped disc as I guess I wouldn't be able to walk. Whatever it is it's a pain in the arse!

I seem to have fallen back a bit recently. Been very busy with work and have not done much more than a few park runs and a bit of gym stuff. Not feeling as if I am progressing. However, still running and I am sure all I need is to book a race in the next few weeks to get motivated to up the training.

Last few days of full on training before the taper to the olympic distance tri. on June 9th. First open water swim of the year tomorrow. I'll find out if my wetsuit still works / leaks. I must admit I'm a bit nervous about the 0.9 mile swim leg.

Strange how, since I stopped work 3 years ago, getting a regular running routine has been difficult. We are crazy travellers - sometimes this is great and I get to settle in for 2 or 3 weeks of great running in really great places. Other times we are travelling, cycling, or ( the last week) house-hunting and I just don’t seem to be able to bag the time to run. No routine. Or maybe I’m just a wee bit lazy.

It's all very quiet here...

Guilty as charged! I've not posted for for far too long..and also haven't been doing too much... :-(

Other than sitting in the garden drinking beer and working. Generally not in that order.

Went out for 6 miles this morning, nice until it started pouring down at the half way mark... :(:mad:

A relaxed but pleasant parkrun on Saturday.

Treated myself to a new watch today (Forerunner 235 is on offer at Millets for £160 delivered if anyone is interested!)....after checking very carefully that it is waterproof.

Sean99 - Horsham Parkrun in August sounds like a plan!

Derek - congratulations on you retirement from marathons. I went to see the Rolling Stones on Tuesday and they thought they were retiring years ago too....but still at it ;)

JTC - great stuff with the PB - the big hilly one rapidly approaching! Hope the injury(s!) is healing fast and the midges aren't quite as bad as that video! Yeuch! I spent a week off road mountain biking in Western Australia a few years ago, and a head net was probably the single most "must have" item I'd recommend to anyone intending to do it!

Edited to add - oh dear..JTC has a new Strava photo, complete with bandage! And a grin at least!!

Ta! I’d been doing some soul-searching to try to get to the bottom of why - despite logging many, many miles, and having (in my opinion) a fairly good range of different paces, durations and profiles - my actual pace wasn’t increasing much. I guess the short answer is that it probably is, based on that 10K run. It’s just not increasing as quickly as some others, perhaps because although I’ve only been running with purpose for the last two years or so, I’d run off-and-on for at least a decade before that. So, maybe I’d already seen big improvements but not really noticed. Doesn’t stop me wondering why, at 6’, 80Kg and on the back of 1500 mile+ of training, I’ve still to break 23m for 5K and have only just broken 50m for 10K. All rationale analysis would suggest I should be maybe 21-22m for 5K and 46m for 10K. So I’ve plateaued for some reason, relative to others anyway...

My injuries? Well, my arm is still sore but not enough to stop running, and the groin troubles persist but in a grumbly rather than serious way. I am sure that, given that taper for my next starts in earnest this weekend*, the grumbliness will pipe down a bit in time for the race. And the midges? Well, I’ve deliberately avoided that area this year, but word is that the swarms are largely gone now, so maybe in a couple of weeks when I regroup my training for the Fort WIlliam Marathon at the end of July. Yep, you read that right, I’m already looking ahead to the next one! It’s a mixed road/trail marathon and meant to be very good, but as it’s 8 weeks away it seems very distant.... gotta get the next one in the bag first. Spent a lot of time looking at previous years’ runners’ Strava times, trying to work out a strategy, and have it largely sussed for a 4:10 or better (assuming I don’t crumble in the last few miles, which are the only bit of the route I haven’t done a practice run on).

Rest day today, and either an easy Parkrun with my son plus some hilly trails (taken lightly) on Sunday, or join a friend on a 10 mile hill run tomorrow and rest up Sunday. Not sure yet...

* normally I’d have liked a two week taper, but as the gap between London and Strathearn was only 7 weeks, and given a recovery week from London, that only leaves 6 weeks, so devoting 2 weeks to taper seemed excessive. A week should be plenty to ‘re-stock’ the legs!

Wow, your marathon is next weekend? That's come round quickly - at least, quicker than it seems it should have come round!

I reckon your 10K pace is relative to your training: if you were training for 10Ks you'd be going much faster but you've been training for marathons so it's no surprise that your 10k time is what it is - and most of all, it's a PB!

I just sent you a message about meeting up this Sunday but with just over a week to go till the big day I'm not sure if or how meeting up might work at this stage of your training. Can always do it another day if that's better for you. I'll defer to your needs of course :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back