advertisement

The runners' thread... (part II)

The London Marathon is now just three weeks away....GULP!
So I was out early this morning in the cold, rainy, windy and muddy depths of Sussex - the last long run before the big day - splashed through 20 miles before my hands turned blue and I bailed.
And it didn't feel any easier....I suppose I probably shouldn't expect it to...

So far I've raised £1,600, and frankly I'm quite gobsmacked by everyones' generosity, but another £400 to go to hit my target - if any fishy runners are able to spare a little change please do donate to a great cause:

The London Marathon is now just three weeks away....GULP!
So I was out early this morning in the cold, rainy, windy and muddy depths of Sussex - the last long run before the big day - splashed through 20 miles before my hands turned blue and I bailed.
And it didn't feel any easier....I suppose I probably shouldn't expect it to...

So far I've raised £1,600, and frankly I'm quite gobsmacked by everyones' generosity, but another £400 to go to hit my target - if any fishy runners are able to spare a little change please do donate to a great cause:

03:23:53 excellent time well done!

What a day.

Everyone said it was a pretty special event, but what a buzz - the crowds are just huge, and deafening, just a surreal atmosphere. The number of runners is huge, the whole thing is a bit mind boggling.

I hit my £2K charity target on Friday night and celebrated with a couple of beers (carb loading + prehydration I call it), and caught up with the Demelza team who had a cheer stand at mile 14/23 or so, which was nice, stopped briefly to say hello.

My daughters were there supporting (with boyfriend) too, and I stopped to give them a hug too, which was a really good boost (err....no hug for the boyfriend, though he deserved it!).

Quite early on when there was a bit of a crowd I went over to the side and gave them a clap and pointed at them shouting "thankyou" as I ran past. That got a huge noisy response and lots of cheers, so did it quite a few times around the course, which was a big lift everytime too. Still buzzing.:D

Started with no plan, and thought I'd take it as it comes. Started too fast (first stretch has some downhill), then felt good, still felt good at tower bridge, still felt good at 30km, still felt good at 40km...though my mate garmin tripped me up again and when it told me I was at 40km I kicked a little thinking only 2km to go...until I passed the 24mile marker....and realised the watch wasn't right...dammit. But by then the noise from the crowd was all that was needed, despite feeling a little tired. Very happy with a PB!

Many thanks to all who donated, much appreciated!

Wow, the donations are still coming in - many thanks GinTonic! Really appreciate it, it's going to a great cause.

Congratulations on the PB.

Due to holidays and sickness, I missed a few weeks of my activity, but I restarted this week with a new pair of Brooks Ghost 15s. These seem to suit my feet, and I am not having the same comfort issues that I had with my old shoes.

The time off has taken its toll on me, and I am plodding along again, slowing getting very slightly quicker. It’s frustrating, but I am not giving up.

Anyone use zero drop shoes? I tried running in Altras the other day. About a 5K run. It went fine, until right at the end when I got a painfully tight right calf. I have a hunch this is normal when starting out with this kind of shoe!

Seen them advertised but not tried them. I like a drop...Saucony Endorphin Pro are my 'weapon of choice', which are 8mm. I notice the difference if I go out in my old Shifts (4mm).

Great stuff Cagey, good to see you back on it! (And thanks!)

Last edited:
Nice, was that at Parkrun? How were the legs/calves with the new shoes?
No, It was at a local event. One of my neighbours helps organise it, and suggested I came along.
The new shoes are great. No complaints from me.
I bought the Brooks as they were on sale at €105 instead of the usual €150. I am happy with the purchase, as my New Balance are not as comfortable.

Anyone use zero drop shoes? I tried running in Altras the other day. About a 5K run. It went fine, until right at the end when I got a painfully tight right calf. I have a hunch this is normal when starting out with this kind of shoe!
It is normal. I used to use Brooks pure flow which were 4 mil drop but they stopped making them. I did it because I was mainly a fell runner and fell shoes are low drop. Not very sure I will be able to get fit enough to do fell races again so now use Kinvaras which are on the lower end of drop.

Last edited:
Park run in France are currently suspended
Of course, had forgotten you were somewhat further South!

I had to get a doctor's letter to let me enter a couple of trail races in the French Alps last year - a little bit of a pain. But not as much as either of the actual races!

Of course, had forgotten you were somewhat further South!

I had to get a doctor's letter to let me enter a couple of trail races in the French Alps last year - a little bit of a pain. But not as much as either of the actual races!
The problem is all based around the medical certificates, if I understand correctly.

Bannister Mile - tomorrow marks the 70th anniversary of Roger Bannister's sub-four minute mile. I would have marked it with a mile of my own but I'm heading off on holiday, so this morning I got out early to run my own mile in memory of this remarkable achievement.

I'd run a new PB for the 1 km earlier in the week, 4:15 (for context I am one month shy of my 66th birthday), so I had great hopes for a better time than my 7:19 for the mile, run back in June last year. Alas, it was hubris, and I was well short and could only manage 7:33. A mile seems a lot further than a kilometer! I found it very hard to judge my pace but I was pretty sure approaching the finish that I hadn't run hard enough because I still had something to spare.

Is anyone in Oxford tomorrow for the Bannister Miles?

advertisement

Back