advertisement

The runners' thread... (part II)

Went out at lunchtime with a work colleague. It rained, and I hate running in the rain. Only 5km but the pace increased with each km....
Short week last week, more rehydration (watching the rugby) than running. ;)
Need to get out for a few km this weekend.

I’m 2 runs into Week 8 of Couch To 5k, one more 28min run, then 3 x 30min runs next week and that’s me done. Just developed a slight groin strain doing last nights, will monitor it tomorrow/Saturday and see how it feels before completing this week.

Since starting the proper running section of C25K, I’ve started wearing earphones and blanking out the clock watching, made quite a bit of difference to treadmill boredom and I’ve been feeling pretty good. I’ve also learnt to start slower and ramp up my speed throughout.

Really not sure how the 5k is going to go, would love to do it under 30min, we’ll see.

20 miler this morning, up onto the Southdowns way, breaking ice on the puddles, but a glorious sunny morning. Wish I had worn trail shoes, was very muddy and slippy in places. Route home blocked by a flood so had to divert.
Couple of pints to rehydrate in the pub after.. :)

Saturday's planned 20K run was disrupted by unexpected snowfall. So I prudently decided that I should start my tapering for the half marathon early and gave it a miss. I ran 11K this morning when it was cold but dry, not bliss but quite good fun.

Parkrun this morning with my younger daughter. We had a quick chat with Paul Sinton-Hewitt (the founder of Parkrun) who was marshalling.
With a perhaps OTT warm up beforehand, and definitely an OTT warm down afterwards, we ended up at 20 miles all in. My daughter is running the Brighton marathon in a few weeks, and I'm hitting London a couple of weeks later, so long runs are the order of the day at the moment...

I inaugurated my new pair of Hoka Clifton's this morning in anticipation of the half marathon this coming Sunday. Just an easy 5K. A couple more of these before the big day.

Completed the Bath Half this morning - something of a beast of a run, too warm and humid, which meant that I missed 5 out of 7 targets I set myself but at least I completed it and my time was better than my first attempt in 2022. The first half went well, probably too quick, but then my legs felt heavy and all of their 65 years. Glad its done and primarily I was doing it to raise money for a good cause so I shouldn't moan.

Just recovering from Covid, did my first run this morning, very messy, but I did it. That on top of the hip (doctor thinks it may well have been a stress fracture) means I've done nothing for about 4 and a half months. So obviously I've accepted a charity place in the GNR... They twisted my arm, honest...

Four weeks ago did a very tentative 5km, slow but no stops. Today, heart rate through the roof and quite a few breaks. Did it though. Will go again on Tuesday or Wednesday.

An update of life after C25K.

I did all the course on a treadmill, with a really old pair of clapped out trainers, I know, I know….sorry….

Well, I hit the streets last Tuesday in my old trainers* for my first outdoor 5k, *I’m a glutton for punishment 🤣
First of all I want to get an excuse in, well two if you include the trainers, I live at the top of an hill and my first mile drops around 100 feet, so yes, last mile is exactly the opposite, would you believe.

I found it really really tough, I couldn’t complete without a few walks (about 4 I think), I finished in a time of 30m 14s, I was blowing like a steam train!

Second outing was last Saturday morning, same course, new running shoes!! (Nike Pegasus 38’s) with still a decent amount of lactic acid sloshing about in my thigh’s, had to walk just the once this time, just before the final uphill to our house, this time in 29m 36s, happy I was.

So, fast forward to tonight, determined to do it in a oner, set off feeling better, but knew I’d have to dig deep to not have a walk, so, my body and mind were both telling me to stop, but another part of my mind was saying bugger off, keep going!! And so I did, much to my surprise, hurt like Billyo, but I’m so happy with my little self! Tonight’s time 29m 14s.

Looking forward to my next outing.

Did the Parkrun this morning, first in age group (a first for me) but before you congratulate me, it was a field of 7. Not too bad a run, overall finished 126 out of 341.

A couple of lunchbreak 6ks this week, and a touristy parkrun this morning. First time at that course and first in age group too!
10k hilly trail race tomorrow morning. Looking forward to that and preparing with a nice bottle of rioja opened already... after a couple of pints in the local at lunchtime :oops:

Heaven knows why I was looking forward to the 10k trail race this morning...was a killer. Lovely venue but very little flat and some fairly treacherous muddy parts even with trail shoes. I came 6th so was well chuffed.

Four weeks to go to London....so probably should have been out on a long long run rather than puffing up hilly trails, but it's all miles underfoot I guess.

Last edited:
Still doing it . Glad to hear everyone is. both of my daughters 17/21 are also running. I’m taking credit for that

advertisement

Back