advertisement

The runners' thread... (part II)

Nice!

Parkrun on Saturday, and best time this year which was pleasing. A gentle damp trot out thismorning. Toying with the idea of entering a couple of local 10k races in the next few weeks - need some motivation!
Are you in a running club? We run in a local league with 10k and 10 mile races every few weeks

No club, only Parkrun and the Fishie's Strava club. I'm a little out in the middle of nowhere when it comes to clubs, the nearest are about 20-30 mins away, so not really motivated to get there of an evening after work. Parkrun is the same having said that...spend twice as much time driving back and forth as running, which is why I don't go every week!

Still doing it. Swapped my shoes for a new pair of Miz wave inspire. Last ones complely worn out . Have my name in the ballot for London .

It just came up on my facebook memories that it was 7 years since I did the Edinburgh half. We had a good day for it - if anything it was too warm.
yes, rain was unpleasant at times but nice and cool, worst bit was a brief section of wet cobbles which were slippery to run on!

I noticed regular events on my weekly run in the park. Never knew about the whole parkrun-thing, but apparently this is almost in my front yard every weekend. Nice! Me myself I prefer to run alone. I am just way too competitive and don't feel like having to compete every week šŸ˜

yes, rain was unpleasant at times but nice and cool, worst bit was a brief section of wet cobbles which were slippery to run on!
I misjudged the temperature so had a thermal base layer on and was pretty much overheating all the way round, struggling to get my heart rate down. Or at least that was my excuse for being slow - it wasn't at all to do that I'd switched more to cycling so had only done a few runs in the lead-up to the event!

I think the Strava 'pinkfishmedia runners' club was started by Windhoek of this parish. @windhoek subsequently retired from running I think (boohiss!).
I was just reading through some old posts to try to find it and found this post from myself in 2017:

"A personal best half marathon today (at the tender age of 51), beating my old PB of 8 years ago!..... Very happy (and a little sore) this evening.
The VDOT site says that's 3:23 marathon time...I think not!
"

Very... very strangely, 3:23 is what I just ran at London a few weeks ago.....spooky!

Lunchtime run got rained off today....

Congratulations Rob, that's an epic time for sure... and spooky as hell šŸ˜„

Yeah, I can't run anymore as my knees don't like it, but I regularly walk over 10 miles a day so I'm still active relatively fit and healthy for my age (51) all things considered.

I think it was Gareth who set up the Strava group - I just added the pfm pic lol

Shoes ... I find these so confusing. Now use Saucony Speed 3 for races though not sure what happens when they wear out as the Speed 4 has mixed reviews. Need a new day to day trainer; have been using Asics Gel Cumulus 25 which served me well but after a spell of injuries I now wonder if they are too soft and too high a heel drop; have also tried a pair of Altra zero drop shoes and quite like them but tend to run slower in them, perhaps a temporary thing.

LOL....I somehow clicked over to watch the European athletics championships (on BBC now) and the 20km race walk is on. I've always thought race walking a little odd...but...
The commentator just said one of the competitors walked the last km in 4 minutes 20 seconds. WHAT!??
I just googled it and the 20km world record is 1:16:36. That's 3minutes 50 secs per km.... walking! That's a 19 minute parkrun!

Backyard Ultra - I'd never heard of this until I was chatting to a younger runner friend of mine who mentioned he was planning to enter one of these. I thought I might adapt the idea and try running my own version: instead of 4.167 miles or 7.607km in an hour ( you run 100 miles in 24 hours or not, last man standing), I'd make it 7km in an hour, and try to run ultimately 6 laps for a marathon. I've only ever run a half-marathon so I'd need to build up gradually but perhaps aim to run 4 laps initially. I have a decent 7km loop from my doorstep with not too much elevation and a nice run along the Kennet & Avon canal. I ran this fairly easily in about 42 minutes this morning which would give 18 mins rest before the next leg. Anyone participated in one of these Backyard Ultras?

Not tried it or heard of it. I think I'd rather just keep going....walk if needs be for the 'rest' periods. After a long distance, stopping for more than a couple of minutes to stretch and I suspect I'd really struggle to start again...

I should have known better. I booked a session to use the running track at Bath University yesterday. A lovely morning. A thirty minute walk there to warm up, then a 1km run to warm up a bit more. Then I ran a quick (these things are relative) 400m, reaching my target of going under 1m 30sec. Hubris - I then thought it a good idea to run 100m all out. It had crossed my mind that this might be hazardous (I've seen enough sprinters pull up with muscle strains). Alas, a few strides in and my left thigh was gone. Not sure whether it is a muscle tear or it was cramp but I'm feeling a little sore both physically and mentally this morning. No running for a while. The only compensation was that I had remembered to take my newly issued bus pass with me and use it for the first time to get home.

I should have known better. I booked a session to use the running track at Bath University yesterday. A lovely morning. A thirty minute walk there to warm up, then a 1km run to warm up a bit more. Then I ran a quick (these things are relative) 400m, reaching my target of going under 1m 30sec. Hubris - I then thought it a good idea to run 100m all out. It had crossed my mind that this might be hazardous (I've seen enough sprinters pull up with muscle strains). Alas, a few strides in and my left thigh was gone. Not sure whether it is a muscle tear or it was cramp but I'm feeling a little sore both physically and mentally this morning. No running for a while. The only compensation was that I had remembered to take my newly issued bus pass with me and use it for the first time to get home.
Sorry to hear about the injury. I think core strength training is necessary to reduce the chances but it is always a risk.

@onlyconnect .. bad luck, the odds of getting a ballot place are close to 1 in 30 these days. Back in the early 90's when I started applying for a place the ballot size was around 70,000 (versus 842,000 for the 2024 race!). Back then we had roughly a 1 in 3 chance of entry. Too many people entering now. Plenty of other decent marathons about both here and overseas. Out of the alternatives that I have run I like the Spanish events, done Valencia and Barca and prefer them both to London. Barca is in March, it didn't sell out until late Feb and no ballot or qualifying time required.
One other thing re. London.. the GFA times have been tightened up considerably over the years. I used to qualify for GFA as a V40 in the early - mid 2000's when it was sub 3:15. The required time for a V40 now is sub 3 hrs!

advertisement

Back