advertisement

The runners' thread... (part II)

I may be retiring from running. About had enough of putting everything into it and getting no results. I’m just not cut out for it.

Brilliant Rob!!

plodding along trying to be patient while my finally diagnosed hamstring tendinopathy goes away. I’m only allowed to plod slowly until it goes away… At least it seems to be working. Did a 10k last week and it was much after than it had been. This week has been a mostly rest week, and for the first time in a long time it’s felt like the region from backside to knee is not made of wood. The GNR might happen after all.

That would be a great shame JTC. Injury woes aside, I guess it largely depends on what you mean by results? For me it's getting out in the fresh air, clearing the mind and trying to keep some semblance of keeping fit and healthy.
Being a little competitive I love getting good times too, but also realize that it's inevitable that it won't carry on much longer at my age...and good times are all relative anyway. My neighbor has gone off to walk a half marathon today. He's been training for weeks, walking with poles, and will be overjoyed just to complete it - think he's in his late 70s, maybe 80s. Good on him, that's a result!

Last attempt at 5k I set out to better my last effort but inadvertently reset the treadmill whilst messing around with the display, it does this auto cool down thing so by the time I reset it I'd lost my progress but I carried on anyway, I think I was on course for 28 mins.

Previous day I attempted 5k row + 5k run in an hour, I should have done it the other way around and run first as even though I managed it I had to slow the run down considerably, still 55 mins. This will be my go to now I reckon with the goal being to increase the speed of each. I must admit I do like rowing. Only downer being that I haven't lost any weight and I go 5 days a week. Meh.

I've just got back from the Northampton 10k this morning. Wasn't trying for a PB or anything but managed to run it at my best Parkrun pace 51:35. Well pleased with that, I must start getting up earlier on Saturdays, too.

A few PFM parkrunners out there today!? Was great to be out. Two running mates at my local PR finished their 100th today. One finished first place with a PB as well, so was a rather happy morning!

Might try for a long one tomorrow, have entered a half in 3 week's time...

(Just in case anyone is interested, Saucony just started a sale..)

Slowly getting back on track, physio’s strategy seems to be working, no hills, getting faster slowly. Did a 28 minute Parkrun this morning, will try for 27 next week…

What is nice is my eleven year old lad has joined me for the last two. Managed two decent times a 27:45 and a 28:02.

Longer run tomorrow, hopefully the GNR isn’t just a pipe dream.

Just entered the Madehurst 10k next Sunday (daughter was asking what I'd like for Father's Day...).
Having run it last year I am already having second thoughts....3k and 150m of uphill to start.....then back down again. Nice views though.

Feeling much fitter, my cycling has been the turning point, a 400k and a 160k helped. Running is getting there but still very slow. Tried to up the speed last week and have a small degree of tendonitis on one achilles to show for it. Will continue to try to build it up. The last two weeks I've seen the Run and Become 5k races in Battersea Park. Watching the pack of runners roar past after a minute in is awesome. The winner is typically in on 15 minutes and a high proportion of the field in 18 minutes. After 20 mins the runners look laboured and towards 30 mins almost pedestrian! The expressions of pain do not differ from runner 1 -200.
I then remind myself that my pre pandemic 5k's were circa 27 mins!!!!
I also remind myself that the 15 minute winner is running slower than an elite marathon runner ( circa 2:05). I then remind myself that I ran several marathons in 3:30. I suppose it's all relative. Hoping to better my 27 mins but it's going to be hard work.

I also remind myself that the 15 minute winner is running slower than an elite marathon runner

I've always found that a bit mindblowing - Kipchoge's sub 2 hour marathon works out at 14:18 per 5km....just seems surreal.

The 5k world record, held by Joshua Cheptegei, is 12:35...! In perspective that's a 15.1sec 100m... fifty times over..... I can't, and never could, run anywhere near that fast over 100m...

Anyway, good to see the fishies are still out plodding the pavements (or laying down the rubber or lifting)!

I may be retiring from running. About had enough of putting everything into it and getting no results. I’m just not cut out for it.

Sorry to hear this. I would highly recommend this before throwing in the towel on running:
https://olderyetfaster.com/

This book is gold. I've been following the method for a few years now and if you sitck to it you WILL get noticable gains with less effort and less injury.

I've always found that a bit mindblowing - Kipchoge's sub 2 hour marathon works out at 14:18 per 5km....just seems surreal.

The 5k world record, held by Joshua Cheptegei, is 12:35...! In perspective that's a 15.1sec 100m... fifty times over..... I can't, and never could, run anywhere near that fast over 100m...

Anyway, good to see the fishies are still out plodding the pavements (or laying down the rubber or lifting)!

It is incredible. I've watched several marathons, and when they mention "going through the last 5k in around 15 minutes" it blows my mind.

I'm still suffering from some sort of post viral fatigue - like long Covid but I never had Covid. I am slowly improving to where I can do short bike rides and runs of a couple of miles. Off to see the Dr again today to see if there is anything else to test for, but it's very frustrating with no real end in sight.

That looks interesting @boneman. Might well invest in that, given the 'older' bit is worrying me a little now! I've never really worked on or thought about technique really, I just go out and do it and huff and puff, so might well be useful to work on it a bit.

@sean99, thoughts are with you, must be so frustrating, especially when no obvious reason for it. Hope you get over it much sooner rather than later.

Been getting my fitness back up after covid over Xmas period. Six weeks off - no training at all. Only just starting to run at a reasonable pace/distance. Though still not 100%.

That looks interesting @boneman. Might well invest in that, given the 'older' bit is worrying me a little now! I've never really worked on or thought about technique really, I just go out and do it and huff and puff, so might well be useful to work on it a bit.

Honestly the best 16 quid I have spent in a long time and the support on the FB group is super helpful from both the authors.

Think I'm going to try for my first10k today at the gym. I don't know what will come first exhaustion or boredom, either way it is a battle :D

Edit. Well that was easier than I expected, obviously debatable if just over 10km/h is actually running or just jogging - but I wasn't out of breath come the end and could have carried on. Decided to do a few faster 300m splits afterwards and they did have me breathing hard though. I clocked it at 59:22 for exactly 10k

Last edited:
Tough 10k trail race this morning, but it stayed dry and a beautiful course up on the South Downs (even if pretty rough underfoot).
The organizers added a lap of the cricket pitch at the end (unknown and a surprise to us poor runners) which made it 10.5km.......lots of sprinting to the finish turned into looks of horror as everyone approached the end....and this is definitely not a nice flat cricket pitch, it's unlike any other I've ever seen....in a small valley so uphills!

225m of climbing...lots of huffing and puffing....

advertisement

Back