advertisement

The runners' thread... (part II)

I had 3 months off from running, put a stone and half of weight on and had Covid in early March, I did my local park run a week ago and It was like I had never ran before! It was literally the worse run I’ve had and I’ve been running regularly for about 10 years with numerous half marathons achieved. At my fittest my average mile for a short run, say 4 miles would be in the low 8 minutes ( so not super quick, but okay given I’m in my 40’s), last week it was 11! Talk about soul destroying I went back out the next morning to do a flatter 3.5 miles, which was a bit better. Went back out twice this weekend, both short runs with times gradually improving, still very hard work though.

I guess it depends on the individual but I wasn’t expecting my fitness levels to have fallen off so rapidly. It’s got me wondering whether Covid did any lasting damage! Which would be a surprise as I didn’t feel I had it that badly

I’ll persevere, as I don’t like to give in, but boy do they hurt at the moment

I’ve got to say I’ve found it harder to get back after Omicron than I did after the original Covid I had the first time. Had a cough that lasted for ages, so had nearly three months off. Did two 5km and a 7km slowly last week then went to Parkrun at the weekend, it was a battle and didn’t break 30 mins. Last time I went round that course I did 25… Guess some patience is called for.

Went out for a very slow 6km, felt much better in the first half, got tired, but there was a bit of light at the end of the tunnel…

Dragged myself somewhat reluctantly to Parkrun this morning. A little too much wine last night...

Have had a big week (unemployed = plenty of time to keep fit!). Looks like tomorrow will be nice too, so maybe a long one..

Just managed to bag myself a new pair of runners on the Bay. A few months back I bought a pair of Saucony Endorphin Shift to see how they compared with my long term (10+ years) allegiance to Kayanos. I like the Sauconys a lot, they just feel faster (and my times are certainly improving), so will try a pair of the Endorphin Pro. They have the carbon plate trickery and are supposedly Saucony's response to the Nike Alphafly.

A nice 10-miler today with new shoes. A pleasure to be out and it feels like I'm getting back on track, as it were.

A lovely sunny 12k this morning. Felt tired though - think a day off is needed. Four days on the trot and the legs were telling me 'enough'.

Edited to add just in case anyone is interested, Camelbak have a half price sale on at the moment if anyone is after a running belt/bottle etc for the warm summer months:

https://www.camelbak.co.uk/shop-c35...-grip-chill-insulated-handheld-500ml-17oz-p84

https://www.camelbak.co.uk/shop-c35...belt-2l-with-500ml-17oz-quick-stow-flask-p139

https://www.camelbak.co.uk/shop-c35...with-500ml-17oz-peak-fitness-chill-bottle-p83

Last edited:
Skipped the local 10K I’d signed up for. A mix of being too busy, upper limb/hip niggles, and also having blistered both heels badly earlier in the week, courtesy of ill-fitting boots :/

Another beautiful morning for a trail run. Bluebells are in full force and got close up to three deer.

Sorry to hear you missed the 10k JTC, that's a bummer.

To add to the covid effect.. I had a mild spell of Omicron at the end of March, a mild head cold but no other symptoms. I've been using Parkrun as a recovery check - I normally run just under 22 minutes, 2 weeks ago I did 22.37, last week 22.31. Despite feeling A1 otherwise I'm still not quite 100% with the running but can feel some progress. Other suffering runners have told me it takes a full 4 weeks from a negative test to get back to normal speed; I'm coming up to that this weekend.

My club are in a local 10k race league event tonight but I'm giving it a miss. I don't want to push myself that far until I know I'm back to full fitness. Apart from that I'm still running most days but keeping the pace steady for now.

Good to see most of you still getting some miles in, enjoy this spring weather.

Tried out the new rubber this morning, around my regular local 5k loop. Just like hi-fi, one wants and expects the new gear to be better...So I pushed on a bit and huffed and puffed, but felt pretty good.
Took just under 2 mins off my PB round the loop, which was a bit gobsmacking. Very happy, and a nice morning for a run.

Out for a trail run again this morning. What I planned as a 13km trot to meet my wife for a walk at the end, turned into a half marathon...and then the walk.
It's too pleasant out there at the moment not to make the most of it, and thankfully I have the time to do so right now.

The new booties proved themselves worthy this morning, just scraped a sub 20 Parkrun. Well chuffed (and huffed an puffed)....off to the pub to celebrate now..!

Was hoping for a late entry into the MK half on Monday but my pace is all over the pace and it still feels like I haven't completely gotten over Covid so I'm going to play it safe.

10k this morning on a new route. Nice.

And in case anyone is interested - a shameless plug for some Aftershokz bone conducting headphones I am selling in the classifieds here:

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/a-few-headphones-for-sale.267479/

They are these ones, and I believe the only ones allowed for use in races on roads in the UK. I bought them in October, they are surprisingly good, and I'm only selling because I 'upgraded' to the newer model in January....can't tell much difference really, but one pair has to go!:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07PDDK7TV/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
MJS.. I reckon it takes one month from the negative test to get rid of it as below..
Saturday's parkrun was 4 weeks post omicron, a glorious morning for it with light winds. I felt much more energised compared to the last couple of outings, 21.41 was 50 seconds quicker than last week so I reckon the virus has finally gone. My Mrs clocked 24.24 and at her age that gives her 83% age grade - I can't match that! Even more impressive was a V55 bloke who ran 17.18 - that's 90% age grade!

Robs.. congrats on the sub 20, a well deserved beer or two. A new girlie recruit in our club showed up on Saturday, she claimed it was her first race and sailed round in 19.51.:)

Lovely weather for running ATM, got out for a 5 miler this morning, nice temperature and barely any wind.

It's funny you should mention a month post-covid. I've just got back from a 12k and it feels like I never slowed down. It's good to feel 'normal' again.

I've had some sort of bug since April 4th (I remember the date as I had to miss band practise) - swollen neck glands, on and off sore throat and extreme fatigue. Two LFTs were negative and on Friday I finally went to the Dr who ordered a battery of tests, but nothing was found (PCR for COVID, rapid strep, mono, liver & thyroid functions - all negative). I'm feeling a bit better yesterday and today, but I'll go back to the Dr for the next round of testing if I go downhill again. It's pretty frustrating but then I watch the news of Ukraine and really it's pretty minor. Hoping to be fully fit for my triathlon in June.

Hope you are in finer fettle now sean99?

A nice morning for Parkrun, skipped in a shade over 20, somewhat out of breath and wondering what the hell I'm doing...I'm an old bloke now... subsequent pub lunch and pint took me back to real life.
Trail half marathon race next Saturday, very much looking forward to that. Unless it's raining and/or windy - it's along the coast.

New job starts in a week, so it'll all be downhill then from a time to get out there on the trails perspective.:( But very much enthused about the new job, so will just have to make time.:)

advertisement

Back