advertisement

The runners' thread... (part II)

Yes, I can’t wait for Parkrun to start again, but now the bloody FA has decided to run kids football until the end of June I can see it being July before I can do one. A bit gutted to be honest. It’s one of my absolute favourite things to do.

I nearly got caught by my local running group's April Fool which suggested we'd have to wear masks during any future Parkrun, but it only needed to be a small one that covered the mouth only!

10 miler at lunchtime today. That was hard work and I'm thinking I really need new shoes. Again.

Big week last week...relatively! Took a couple of days off so went out on the mountain bike on the (very cold and windy) SDW a couple of times (50+km each) and ran 35km (mainly trail) too...don't know what came over me. Felt good though.

Back to laziness this week so far...

Jh - nasty, had mine out when I was 7, hope you are back up and running soon!
andrew d - ditto!
jtc - great to see you back at it too!
sean99 - see you there, you can get your revenge for last time!! ;)

Did about ten miles on Sunday, Training plan said best effort on tired legs today, so gave it a go. Legs definitely lacked bounce. Managed my fastest time around my loop though since
December. Not quite as fast as pre-Covid, but getting there. The wrist knob seems to be happier these days and says my V02-Max is 50. Pretty meaningless but much better than the 43 it though I was when I started back again.

Hope you’re on the mend now John.

Nice! That's right up there.

I'm at 49...was 52 8 months ago or so...that's what beer and watching rugby does for you...

So looking forward to Parkrun again.

Yes desperate for Parkrun, gutted that the FA want kids football to carry on into June. V02 was 52 before Covid, just glad to see it coming back, feared it might not. Nowt wrong with beer, although I tend to take mine with football rather than rugby.

sean99 - see you there, you can get your revenge for last time!! ;)

If I can get vaccinated in time and if I can get a reasonably priced flight to the UK, and if the UK will let me in without 14 days of quarantine, and if my IT band issues are resolved ....... then you're on !

LOL...so many excuses already....:D:D;)

If you make it over then we should try to round up a few more PFM runners and make a do of it!

Looks like Park Run is back in England on 5th June! No link in the email but;

"In the large majority of parkrun locations however, we are confident that parkrun events will be able to return, and we look forward to working with landowners to get those events back on Saturday 5 June.
It is essential that the vast majority of 5k events in England return at the same time because, if only some of them did, those events that did open would become overwhelmed with participants. This would, of course, create an unsafe environment which we must do everything we can to avoid.

I also got an email yesterday offering entry to a test 5k event at Kempton Park. https://www.lmereg.co.uk/w/756?_cld...456&esid=67f7d1e4-5aa3-eb11-b1ac-000d3a86d08c
"The Reunion 5K will comprise three separate 5K events. It has been designed in conjunction with the Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport (DCMS) to provide scientific data on how mass participation events can resume safely as part of the roadmap out of lockdown (from 21 June)."

Nice! That's right up there.

I'm at 49...was 52 8 months ago or so...that's what beer and watching rugby does for you...

So looking forward to Parkrun again.
After relative sloth for the past 6 months (post-op) and reduced activity in the preceding year, but following a few weeks of gentle plodding, my VO2Max is now 45. It had been as high as 55 during summer 2019 training, before it all went to shit...

Good that you're back at it JTC. I ran a very careful mile and a half on Sunday and didn't encounter IT band pain. I'll continue stretching and icing and very slowly ramp up the speed and distance over the coming weeks. I've been fortunate that it doesn't affect cycling at all so I can keep some level of cardio fitness going while I recover.

Can I ask what you guys are using to report VO2 Max? Is it important?

I switched from Garmin to TomTom Runner a while back, mainly because of the big display.
I think my watch only does HR and progress etc.

My Garmin reports it. It’s a vanity figure, but always pleased when the wrist bastard moves it up. Went up to 51 yesterday. Sadly bursitis seems to have landed in the hip again, few days of rest and some ibuprofen. I’m never sure whether it’s caused by running or by the bloody big bag I carry around for work that has an unerring knack of catching me on the dodgy hip with the sharp corner of the little Bose Speaker I use. Anyway a few days rest and playing with the foam roller for a few days is in my future!

Absolutely aced all my PBs yesterday. However it may due to a bit of poor GPS reception as the accuracy wasn't great when I looked at the plot on Strava. I hate it when you have doubts cast on your efforts like that.

It turns out that designing circuit boards in your head on a run keeps you from looking at your average pace on your watch all the time. That and a new route (round Bletchley Park) kept me occupied enough to do a really decent pace. I must remember this in future.

That maps makes me 550m out which is enough to slow my run, but still fast enough to be one of my best. I'll take that. It may be difficult to beat though!
Looking forward to Parkrun.

advertisement

Back