advertisement

The runners' thread... (part II)

Haven't been out for a couple of weeks, but yesterday finally got out for 10k through the vineyards and bluebells which was nice.
Legs (quads, strangely) sore today though, so went for bike ride on the Downs. Legs even more sore now.
Looking forward to Park Run, but suspect that first one is going to be massively crowded!

Good to see folks still getting out for a run, sorry to hear about various niggles & ops! The nerve problem in my glute/hamstring last year disappeared in August but sadly returned a few weeks ago. I can still run, it is just a bit uncomfortable at times. I did have a cortisone injection in that area a couple of weeks ago and it is slowly improving, fingers crossed. Still doing around 50-60 mpw but by necessity it's all steady stuff for now.
Last Saturday I helped pace a V60 lady who was attempting a sub 4 hour virtual marathon to qualify for an Abbott Majors event. I ran the last 14m with her and she ended up with a very 'comfy' 3:56.50. She only started running in her late 50's!
After a couple of abysmal weather days here the sun is shining today so I'm heading over to York Racecourse & environs to do 10-11m or so.

Did my longer XC loop yesterday, about 1h12. Not sure how far it is, between 6 & 7 miles I think. I got out before the rain, but it was bitterly cold. Shorts, long sleeve top, wind jacket, and hat and gloves for the first 20 minutes.

Tired today. I'll see how I feel about a run or cycle later.

USA on the UK's amber list - not looking good for a summer visit (and parkrun), unless they move it to green, or come up with some sort of vaccine passport.

On the positive front I managed to run 2 miles slowly today with no IT band issues.

Just 6k , same route , most days. Mentally easier to do than not . Weather confusing although managed to miss Wednesday rain. Was in a pub garden when it came down and was surprised by ferocity and the temperature drop. My wind and rain proof jacket ( that is neither) wouldn’t have been much use , especially as I left it at home and trusted Bbc weather in terms of rain and timing. The huge purple bruise in the sky told a different story

Anyone got any recommendations re Bluetooth earphones for running. My latest pair have given up the ghost. More concerned about reliability than sq, although both would be good

Anyone got any recommendations re Bluetooth earphones for running. My latest pair have given up the ghost. More concerned about reliability than sq, although both would be good

I have plantronics 2100, have lasted about 18 months so far out five or six days a week 3-4K each run, sound quality ok not fantastic. What annoys me is they old Sony earphones used to cost less than a tenner lasted for ages and sounded really good, then they just scrimped on everything, they sounded crap and would last about five days before failing.

10k in 54 minutes today, so the post-op times are coming down. Feel a bit achy now though. One thing that’s mad is my measures HR: up to over 200bpm on that run - which although tough given my low fitness, was nevertheless not THAT tough. I think my Garmin sometimes confuses cadence impact alongside HR when the two are close (e.g. ~160-170) and maybe occasionally measures extra, since I seriously doubt I could hit 200bpm given age and fitness...

So the sunshine has pulled me out of my (whisky) stupor and I've been out two days in a row. A nice 11k trail run yesterday, which felt a little heavy. Glad I had my tracksters on - the nettles are overgrowing the paths around here.
Then today decided to put my road shoes on and try a 5k, then a few more km at a more gentle pace. Felt really good and was just lovely to be out.
Hope you are all too!

The aforementioned cortisone injection did rapidly improve matters and I'm about 90% ok now. So nice to be able to run without gnawing pain and numbness, mileage back up to 60-65 mpw as a result.
Robs.. I do still have some Ron Hill tracksters from the 90's/2000's, I'm sure they are indestructible! I much prefer shorts these days, it has to be close to freezing for me to wear long bottoms. By contrast my Raynauds means I need to wear gloves in temps less than 8-10 degrees.
Loving this weather for running, I definitely prefer it to winter! Had a run around York racecourse yesterday. There was a fairground and food festival going on so it was lovely to experience the sounds, sights and smells as I ran round a few laps.

Traded the running for MTB today, up on the South Downs for a while then the North South link, and home via mainly (muddy!) bridleways. Just over 50k. Couple of pints at my local in the sunshine before wobbling home.

Wonderful day.

But everything hurts...

(And today was meant to be a rest day according to my Strava 5k training plan..!)

Struggling a little at the moment, had calf troubles, and just as that was getting better hurt my neck on Saturday, very fed up. Oh, and made the £300 error of not zipping up my pocket on Saturday when I went for a bimble and lost my car key. Not having a good week...

Is this what it’s like having only a few months to go until I’m 50?

Lordy Lordy....that's not good. Hope you get sorted with the calf and neck..
Have you rebimbled the bimble a couple of times? Maybe put a couple of 'Lost' posters up?

50 is nothing though, 'tis but a scratch ;)

(p.s. My daughter's boyfriend lost my car keys last year by not zipping a pocket. It's what youngsters do...:D
But that was on an off piste ski slope in France...
He was mortified. So was I when I found out the cost...obscene. But I visited the local Tourist office and registered them as missing, and a few weeks later they landed in an envelope on our doormat. Somehow a local pisteur had found them a few days later and got my address. And the key still worked!
I sent him a few euros for a nice bottle in thanks.)

I did it a couple of times on Saturday and also yesterday. Thankfully as it’s an onto car, I have hire car insurance, so whilst I’ll have to cough, I’ll also get my money back. The neck will go, I’m really annoyed, woke up at 5 on Sunday, decided not to go for a trot because I’d been on Saturday and didn’t want the calf to get angry again. Didn’t really sleep, and woke up at 7 with a godawful crick. Bugger! That’ll teach me etc...
I’m annoyed because my sub two hour training was going well, the last intervals before the calf was as easy as these things ever are, and I’d enjoyed a really good long run a few days before. The moral of this story is not to jog around a small boys football pitch as you’ll do yourself a nasty injury.

We mislaid a car key (in a bag, in a cupboard, that no-one could remember putting there), so when Apple introduced the Airtags a day or two later we bought 4. 2 for the dogs and 2 for the keys.

Advice please.

I've just rubbed my left heel raw from a modest 10k (ish) run at lunchtime.
I recently got a new pair of shoes and went up half a size because my right foot is quite wide and a size 9 would only do for short runs, and I try not to do those anymore. My right shoe fits perfectly with no issues but my left foot is slightly smaller and now the heel rubs. Fine - I'll tie a heel knot but either I'm doing it wrong or it only seems to help some of the time. Today it wore through the skin exactly half-way round. The top of the shoe heel is rubbing the skin raw - very annoying. I accept that I've been using ankle socks and they're probably best consigned to the bin but the 'sports socks' I have lying around feel like I'm wearing cheesewire after not very long so it's probably time to invest in proper socks, a different tying technique, some form of insert in the smaller shoe, or all the above. Any thoughts?

advertisement

Back