advertisement

The runners' thread... (part II)

You’re an inspiration John, and once again you’ve proved you’re superhuman and probably made of girders.

I’m sure your marathon time will come, you’ve worked bloody hard, however I’m sure that you’ll reap the benefits of all that training by delivering some pretty spectacular half times or whatever it is you choose to focus on.

Reactions: JTC
Hey JTC, gobsmacked that you pushed on and finished it - well done!

Falling off a cliff is not the .....errr.....best preparation for the big day. Thank God for spiky bushes.

I sustained bruising to my ribs. I decided to give yesterday’s marathon a go anyway, and was okay until the painkillers wore off.
Eeek - I fell off my bike (ice) 10 days before the Thanksgiving Day 5k last year and ran the 5k with my wrist in a brace and ibuprofen for the ribs. It was uncomfortable but doable - can't imagine a marathon with bruised ribs - my hat is off to you. Hope you don't suffer too much for it over the next few days (I did - set me back about a week on my recovery).

Thanks. We’re on our last full day here and I’m still very sore. Looking back on it, I still got a respectable time and I’ll take something from that. I made halfway in 1:52 before the painkillers wore off and the wheels of my race started to wobble and fall off. I finished in 4:05:52 which isn’t too shabby still, and I am guessing that if I hadn’t had the bruised ribs I might have made 3:50 or certainly sub-4:00. I was about a minute ahead of the 3:45 pacer at 10 miles before I started to struggle to get in enough air. The hardest bit of the race was the ‘out’ section of the ‘out and back’ between 21k and 30k; I lost a lot of time there. Still, a finish is a finish for all that.

Going to take the rest of the week off but no real rest as I have half marathons on successive weekends coming up!

NZ has some really spiky bushes, so I expect you got stab wounds as well as the bruising. Amazing to finish despite your injuries.

I have had a few week holiday in the Highlands, with a few nice runs - from Aviemore to our self-catering cottage along the Speyside way and the Badenoch way, and an out and back up Glen Tromie. Surprisingly good weather for time of year, and lovely scenery- also saw red squirrel and a pine marten while running!

Still plodding away, did a quicker 15km last weekend, was comfortable, so there is more in the bank. Plan is to keep training away during the week, and a longer slightly faster run on the towpath. Last training plan had me at between 6:30/6:50 for the long run. I’m planning on training at between 6:10/6:30.
Hoping that’ll lead to the more realistic 2h 10 time in January. I managed the GNR at about 6:40 per km, so, on a flatish towpath I’d hope to better that. I have till Jan the 4th. Then a few more half’s next year, and hoping to break the 2hr mark at either Rochdale or Manchester. Going to go for this weeks long one tomorrow. Thank god for holidays, hopefully fit some runs in around decorating my daughter’s bedroom.

Five half marathons, four full marathons and an ultra in 2019. 2500+ km run. And I’m broken again. A tremendous year of running but I’m beginning to think I’m not physically cut out for this running lark. Cheer me up, please do!!! :(

Last training plan had me at between 6:30/6:50 for the long run. I’m planning on training at between 6:10/6:30

I started reading this post thinking you were giving mile times and I thought, blimey, that's some going for a long run - has he been working with Lance Armstrong's team ? ;)

Five half marathons, four full marathons and an ultra in 2019. 2500+ km run. And I’m broken again. A tremendous year of running but I’m beginning to think I’m not physically cut out for this running lark. Cheer me up, please do!!! :(

That's a tremendous tally for a year. I'd be worried about overdoing it.

As for personal goals - it's been a pretty good year so far in terms of triathlon and bike time trial results, and I have two more attempts at a sub 20 minute 5k before the year is out - hoping the weather cooperates.

I started reading this post thinking you were giving mile times and I thought, blimey, that's some going for a long run - has he been working with Lance Armstrong's team ? ;)

Ha!! No, just the beer diet. Still plodding along, will do a little run tomorrow, and a bigger one on Sunday.

Nowt for three weeks. Mrs has been poorly and I CBA.
There was a recent one where it was chucking it down and pretty cold and I just turned to her and said "We're 52; we don't have to do this." And we got back in the car.

I must admit I dodge the rain. Have been pondering whether to do long run today or tomorrow. Tomorrow looks better so will do a shorter run today and stop in the middle to get my hair cut, then a longer one tomorrow. I don’t mind the cold, but wind and rain get right on me tits!!

Not so bothered about the rain and running, especially on sub 60 min runs. Cycling, well that's a different story!

I have better cycling gear than running...it keeps me drier any way.

My cycling gear allows me to cycle in the rain, it's just that I avoid cycling in the rain if I can. Running in the rain is fine was long as you keep warm.
For cycling I've got decent over shoes, waterproof socks ( used once only ) a brilliant packable rain jacket and gloves which are just about up to the job. Oh yes and extra long mud guards. Not yet bought into waterproof cycling shorts but a mate has!
My running miles tend to increase this time of year. Running in all weathers is quite satisfying and rewarding.

20:04 on my first sub 20 attempt yesterday. Mile 2 was my undoing - slightly uphill into a freezing wind (-3C at the start).
One more attempt at sub 20 on Thanksgiving morning, a week on Thursday. I used to be trying for sub 19, but I guess that's getting older for you.

In terms of rain I don't mind running in rain, but I don't like cycling in the rain, mostly because I don't like cleaning bikes -I have very little time to be cleaning thrashed drivetrains, so I try to wait until the rain has stopped or is light. Kudos to the bike commuters who brave all weathers - I did that in my youth but I don't fancy doing it again.

19:18 in yesterday's 5k (Thanksgiving Turkey Trot). After waiting all year to break 20 minutes in a 5k I'm not quite sure how that happened, unless the course was short (hope not - don't think so). Also my daughter completed her first ever 5k in 34 minutes and is now determined to go under 30 minutes. Was a great event - over 1000 runners and lots of money raised and food donated to a local food bank (plus a really great band).

19:18 in yesterday's 5k (Thanksgiving Turkey Trot). After waiting all year to break 20 minutes in a 5k I'm not quite sure how that happened, unless the course was short (hope not - don't think so). Also my daughter completed her first ever 5k in 34 minutes and is now determined to go under 30 minutes. Was a great event - over 1000 runners and lots of money raised and food donated to a local food bank (plus a really great band).

Well done, that is an excellent time and nice to do it at a bigger event. I had a few work friends who did the Franklin Park TT, was that where you were?

advertisement

Back