advertisement

The runners' thread... (part II)

Local sprint triathlon yesterday. (1/3 mile swim, 14.5 bike, 3.5 run). I had a cold / sore throat for much of the prior couple of weeks so I wasn't expecting much, but I guess I must have been well "rested" because I took 15 seconds off my PB set last year and got on the podium (3rd in my age group out of 24). Lovely weather as well - though the roads were wet from overnight rain which made for a very cautious bike leg. That's triathlon season finished for 2019 - next up is a Thanksgiving day 5k which my daughter is doing with me (she's about 1/2 way through the couch to 5k, but still seems enthusiastic). I might think about a 1/2 marathon some time over the winter.

Good luck JTC with what sounds like a gruelling training plan. A trip to NZ sounds like a nice reward, though.

Dispiriting experience of going out for a longer duration run, but covering less distance. Last Saturday, did 14.7miles in 2:20, yesterday 14.3 in 2:40. First one was on flat, yesterday on hills and into bracing headwind, but even so, that is very slow average pace!

Did the Barnes Green Half this morning. A bit damp and blowy, and ended up a bit of a GTF run (good to finish!). Started well and was hoping/aiming for a PB, but soon as we turned into the wind I blew up (or got blown away), and it turned into a long hard slog just to get to the finish line. Felt terrible (and still do, despite sleeping for a couple of hours after). Don't think I've felt so rotten during a race, couldn't breathe, everything ached, head kept telling me to stop and walk....one I'll try to forget...oh well..
Next time...

Well done guys, tough out there today.
Was getting back on it quite well but then a minging cold has interrupted play. Will be out again tomorrow I hope. A little 5k, then a longer one on Wednesday. Planning a proper long run at the weekend.

Devonport Half Marathon in Auckland, NZ. Hilly bastard! Great race though, did it with dodgy hip in 1h 50m 25s. Basically sat with the 1:50 pacers until my hip pain kicked in, luckily only at 19k and so was largely able to ignore it. Just sitting at the camper van hire place, waiting to pick our rental up and begin the travelling leg of our trip....

Crikey, it’s quiet in here. OK, nearly two weeks into my trip and I’ve got some wifi and some time to post. Have enjoyed my sporadic running here, including doing the Rotarua parkrun (I finished 8th out of 63) and just this morning a 12k run up North Island’s largest mountain (and active volcano). Definitely putting on weight though - my plans of eating a lot of healthy sushi etc. have not come to fruition, and my awkward kids have meant that I’ve ended up eating a disproportionate amount of fish and chips..... only 11 days until my marathon and I’m getting a bit anxious but then (despite the belly) I’m probably in reasonably good shape - sub-four should be on the table even if my 3:45 goal is probably a bit optimistic - but my normal negativity and existential angst will no doubt increase as the day draws near.

Anyway, as I type this in a shabby rented camper-van an hour north of Wellington, I’m missing home a bit. NZ is beautiful but not exactly the utopia I had hoped it would be. Maybe a side-effect of driving 1000-odd KM in 10 days in a crappy van, stuck with misbehaving kids and a sometimes moody wife. I would probably enjoy NZ better if I were 20 years younger and YF&S........ just saying :)

NZ is still one of the places I want to visit so your comments are interesting. Good job on the Parkrun, got to be pretty much the furthest away tourism it is possible to do.

Reactions: JTC
So..Kipchoge...will he make it??!

He's on BBC live now and just passed through the half mark at an hour, on target. Wow, just unbelievable pace - a 5km Parkrun in a tad over 14mins, eight times in a row!

Goferit Eliud!!

It’s incredible. 17 second 100m runs for 26 miles.

Parkrun this morning as football’s been cancelled and it’s Stretford’s 200th, then hopefully a decent long run tomorrow weather permitting. A combination of work and really rubbish weather has limited opportunities in recent weeks. This week has been a write-off. Hoping to get out a bit more next week.

I turned on the TV when Kipchoge had 1km to go... holy shit, he blew 1.59.59 out of the water - 1.59.59 or quicker in race conditions will become a reality within five years I reckon. I've stopped running entirely and although I've no ambition to swap cycling for running (I want to make sure my knees make it to old age), I'm totally inspired by what he did all the same. Good luck guys with your runs this weekend - may your mind overcome matter no matter what!

This week I’ve run about 15miles , been in the gym three times and lucked out in the Vlm ballot for the 9th or 10th year.

Bad luck with the VLM. Amazing achievement for Kipchoge. My 27 minute Parkrun feels quite inadequate. Not done enough since the GNR so blowing out of my arse. Working towards a 2:15 hm at Christmas now.

Pretty average Park Run in the drizzle this morning. Saw Kipchoge in the early stage of the sub 2 hour marathon. The splits were 5km, 14:14 10km 28:28 (+14:14) 15km 42:34 (+14:14) 20km 56:47 (+14:13 ) Extraordinary!
14:14 would have won at just about any Park Run this morning!

Ok, so it’s 36 hours after I finished my 10th marathon and sadly it didn’t go so well. Three days before the race, whilst getting in position for a sneaky photo, I stood on the crumbly edge of a small (~12m) cliff and it gave way. I tumbled about 12’ down, my descent halted by several spiky bushes. All cut up and bruised, at least I live to tell the tale. Unfortunately, I sustained bruising to my ribs. I decided to give yesterday’s marathon a go anyway, and was okay until the painkillers wore off. So it was a race of two halves, the second of which was a titanic battle of mind over matter; matter won! I had made good time on the outbound half and so despite a lot of enforced walking during the second half (when it was too painful to take the necessary deeper breaths) I got home in a reasonable - but slower than planned - time.

All that said and done, I’ve enjoyed my month in NZ, with a whole lot of adventure with my family. I’m just a tad sad that my planned marathon glory didn’t come to pass, despite many hundreds of training miles. I may now take a well-earned break from the longer stuff and decide on what’s next...

Wow, you were lucky you didn't damage yourself more falling off a 12m cliff, that could have been very serious. Sorry about the marathon, saw your comments on Strava and did wonder what had happened.

Have a nice rest and concentrate on the running that you enjoy the most not necessarily what is the biggest challenge.

advertisement

Back