advertisement

The Rise of the Far Right

The Paul Mason parody account kills me every time šŸ¤£

tijuMC8.png
Labour are the true victims in Gaza. Paul has sent round some hurt feelings clingfilm for Wesā€™s windows.

One down, Truss to go next? If Sunak wants to retain anyone beyond the real gutter gammon thicks she has to be out. What she has said and aligned the Tories with in the USA is fascism/terrorism. It canā€™t be viewed as anything else. The Tory Party can only be viewed as QAnon, Jan 6th, deep state ā€œtrutherā€ endorsers as long as she remains in the party. Sheā€™s an ex-PM FFS.

Hoyle and Starmer should have the whip removed for smearing protesters as Islamist terrorists: all Leeā€™s done is pick up their ball and run with it. Same shitty thing packaged for slightly different audiences. One hand washing the other.

30p had previously been made to undergo antisemitism awareness training by the Party, he was given effectively an ASBO once for his activities against Gypsies, now heā€™s collected the full deck. Probably taking his cue from his old boss Boris Johnson, an even better known anti-Muslim bigot. Quite why heā€™s being hoofed now simply for promoting Conservative Party values is a bit of a mystery, given that there are quite a few more inciting hatred from the govt benches. Maybe itā€™s because heā€™s northern and working class as well as being a racist?

I think we'd mentioned before that utter clowns like Anderson existed solely to be of use by being thrown under the bus at some point. He's not Westminster or Tory enough to be in the gang, a useful northern idiot. I bet they're all pissing their pants that he finally had a purpose.

I think we'd mentioned before that utter clowns like Anderson existed solely to be of use by being thrown under the bus at some point. He's not Westminster or Tory enough to be in the gang, a useful northern idiot. I bet they're all pissing their pants that he finally had a purpose.

I saw it as a very deliberate attempt by Johnson to bring in the UKIP, EDL, BNP thug-gammon to push Brexit through. The underlying motive may have been to keep crown tax havens and oligarch money-laundering channels open, but they needed working class racist thugs like Anderson to stand a chance in certain Labour ā€˜red wallā€™ areas. Even so it still to Farage to split the Labour vote in most of them. From the Tory perspective it has to have been a failure as the party has descended into real Trump/QAnon insanity, but again that may be by design.

I utterly detest the Tory Party, I view them as a gangster oligarch class working directly against the interests of the nation and for a tiny minority of millionaire/billionaire donors, most of whom are offshore in tax havens etc. That said I never view them as stupid. They are certainly brighter than Labour (not hard), so even if what is unfolding now looks like a series of uncontrollable bin fires in various far-right factions Iā€™ll not rule out having missed a structure and route to absolute power.

What is occurring in America at present looks so far beyond insane I donā€™t know where to start, yet the reality is Trump has a very real prospect of winning this year and ending democracy in that nation. This is exactly what these people want and they may well achieve it.

Whatever is going on I think I understand enough to be terrified of what may be coming, but what exactly that is remains to be seen. The fact Steve Bannon is always at the epicentre is disturbing enough. He is likely the most dangerous person on planet earth right now IMHO.

In other news we actually had the Conservative Party candidate knock on our door this morning (why??).
From the look on his face I wasn't the first person that morning to hurriedly shut the door...

In other news we actually had the Conservative Party candidate knock on our door this morning (why??).
From the look on his face I wasn't the first person that morning to hurriedly shut the door...

Hopefully you ripped a strip off before dooring his nose.

The sad fact is that when there is a "Rise of the far right" it is usually (see Fascist Italy, Nazi Germany, etc.) it is usually the fault of the Left and Centre which have failed to deliver the goods, by indecision, incompetence and, above all, squabbling among themselves.
So it seems futile to react by insulting and ridiculing the right-wing politicians, rather than trying to understand what went wrong that created the situation in which they could rise to power.
In the economic sphere, the free-market, liberal (or neoliberal) ideology emerged from the rubble of social democracy, which had reached a point where it was simply no longer working. Why was it no longer working? Any ideas?
It's a long standing syndrome. The left lacks all conviction, while the right is filled with passionate intensity.

It's a long standing syndrome. The left lacks all conviction, while the right is filled with passionate intensity.
Muchas gracias, Don Quixote! You understand what I was saying, and asking. Why did social democracy gradually stop delivering the goods in the 1970s? On paper it would seem to be the ideal system. We should be asking ourselves if it can be made to work, if under that system European and American economies would be able to compete and flourish, rather than venting anger on "the Right."
And this is not just about the UK, it is the same story all over the place.

ā€œPlease @BBC donā€™t do this . If we stop using language honestly we are lost Lee Anderson has been suspended for his racism. A headline like this suggests itā€™s a free speech issue , but maybe that was your intention #ToryGaslightingā€

Nice to see musician Tanita Tikaram calling out BBC/Tory gaslighting.

All of us, whoever we are and whatever we do, need to use whatever platform we have available to call this shit out. Respect to all who do.

Muchas gracias, Don Quixote! You understand what I was saying, and asking. Why did social democracy gradually stop delivering the goods in the 1970s?

It didnā€™t stop working, it was out voted. it worked then, it can work again now.

On paper it would seem to be the ideal system. We should be asking ourselves if it can be made to work,

It can work, but you have to vote for it

if under that system European and American economies would be able to compete and flourish, rather than venting anger on "the Right."

Neoliberalism doesn't work, neoliberalism deserves the anger.

And this is not just about the UK, it is the same story all over the place.
Yes.

Neoliberalism is antithetical to social democracy. The problem is the people like those on here who self identify a social democratic, but vote neoliberal

If you want social democracy, vote social democracy.

If you vote for neoliberalism, you are voting to undo social democracy

It really is that simple

Iā€™d argue it was the electoral system. The political right is only ever a minority view, yet has defined and gerrymandered a system to return power to that minority most of the time. The ā€™non-rightā€™ is a far broader range of views and interests and our current system throws all these votes away without representation. As such in both the UK the electorate is mostly presented with options that do not represent them. For much of the 20th century this produced a relatively stable if exploitative structure masquerading as democracy. Right now it looks set to return fascism.

This is systemic failure. A failure that has come from an establishment so deliberately removing so many voices from representation and therefore restricting choice. We need political reform. A functional democracy. Desperately. The only alternative at this point looks like a dark dystopian future of fighting fascists on the street with fire, bricks, baseball bats and bottles, or in the USA with guns and another civil war.

The sad fact is that when there is a "Rise of the far right" it is usually (see Fascist Italy, Nazi Germany, etc.) it is usually the fault of the Left and Centre which have failed to deliver the goods, by indecision, incompetence and, above all, squabbling among themselves.
So it seems futile to react by insulting and ridiculing the right-wing politicians, rather than trying to understand what went wrong that created the situation in which they could rise to power.
In the economic sphere, the free-market, liberal (or neoliberal) ideology emerged from the rubble of social democracy, which had reached a point where it was simply no longer working. Why was it no longer working? Any ideas?

Indeed, the Great British voter had had enough of previous management's (failed) ideology in the 1960/70s and voted for Thatcher. And here we are.

Muchas gracias, Don Quixote! You understand what I was saying, and asking. Why did social democracy gradually stop delivering the goods in the 1970s?
The economic problems of the late 1960s and early 1970s were survivable - not much different from the usual 'business cycle'. The really difficult problem was the oil crisis of 1973-4. Our economies are underpinned by energy prices. When these rise, the cost of everything rises and you get low growth and high inflation (like 2022-23). That's the mid 70s in a nutshell.
The decision to boycott America and punish the west in response to support for Israel in the Yom Kippur war against Egypt led the price of crude to rise from $3 per barrel to $12 by 1974. (Guardian)
It wasn't the failure of social democracy. It was an energy shock.

advertisement

Back