advertisement

The Premiership ofLiz Truss. Sept 2022-Oct 2022. New PM time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Truss made massive errors early on from which she could not recover. I am still surprised it ended so quickly.

Whichever way you look at it she did have experience in cabinet so was a credible candidate. Sunak would have been by far the better choice but the Tory members are literally the worst of the worst.

The only credible outcome is a GE, the Tories are finished so they may as well get it over with.

I love this country but hate this government & am very dispirited about these acts of self harm.

Umm. We live in a democracy, but the rules of this particular democracy do not require a General Election when a Prime Minister resigns/is sacked/dies. The idea that change of PM should mean a General Election only really dates back to when Blair handed over to Brown. Naturally each opposition party wants a General Election when it is ahead in the polls, but there’s no constitutional reason why the governing party shouldn’t change leaders as often as it wants to; it is the party, not the PM, which is elected.

It shouldn’t be about party self-interest. That’s why we are in the mess we are in.

If Brexit ends up destroying the Tory Party the much fabled ‘Brexit benefits’ counter can at last be increased to ‘1’.

I suspect that hardcore Tory voters will still support "their" footbal club party no matter what... That's the way of the world.

What I find appalling is this worthless political system which doesn't have an independent "arbiter" that'll call a much needed GE.
They call this a Democracy?

The chaos has been caused by a 12-year failure. It is that simple. Without that failure, the infighting would not be happening. Without it, nobody is resigning. Without it, the opinion polls don't send a shiver. Call it what it is...FAILURE.

What I find appalling is this worthless political system which doesn't have an independent "arbiter" that'll call a much needed GE.
They call this a Democracy?

Agreed. The UK system is neither democratic nor accountable. This government has clearly fallen under any credible definition of the term, yet it is still here. There is no way in hell it can be considered to be acting in the national interest.

I think the downfall of the conservatives was from Cameron with the Brexit referendum and trying to outgun Ukip. Running scared of a minority party, asking the wrong question and then riding off into the sunset with a bigger paycheque and a nice pension

The Belfast Telegraph can do a nice job:

Liz Truss’s disgraceful chapter in British politics shows the peril of pig-headed political zealotry
In just 44 days, this talentless PM has crushed the living standards of tens of millions of people – yet still wallowed in self-pity

Liz Truss departed Downing Street as she had inhabited it: Weakly, woodenly, arrogantly, haplessly, incoherently, unrepentantly, reeking of incompetence and without an ounce of personal insight.
This disgraceful chapter in British political history will serve some purpose if it demonstrates to future generations the peril of pig-headed political zealotry – whether from left or right. But even if that is so, it will have come at a terrible price for tens of millions of people.
In a pathetically deluded 90-second statement outside Number 10, Truss’s stated reason for quitting wasn’t that she had belatedly realised what she was trying to do was daft, but that she realised she would no longer be permitted by Tory MPs to deliver that reckless agenda.

Truss made massive errors early on from which she could not recover. I am still surprised it ended so quickly.

Whichever way you look at it she did have experience in cabinet so was a credible candidate. Sunak would have been by far the better choice but the Tory members are literally the worst of the worst.

The only credible outcome is a GE, the Tories are finished so they may as well get it over with.

I love this country but hate this government & am very dispirited about these acts of self harm.

Sunak was obviously the better choice by a mile. And the conservative party members will never vote for a brown person. No one in the media dare say this but it is a fact.
The only good from this is with whatever 'leader' they elect they will limp to the next election to be sent on their way forever. I don't want a general election yet, let them attempt to clear up the shocking mess the Bullingdon Club has left. Me I'll put a jumper on and wait.

The Belfast Telegraph can do a nice job:

Liz Truss’s disgraceful chapter in British politics shows the peril of pig-headed political zealotry
In just 44 days, this talentless PM has crushed the living standards of tens of millions of people – yet still wallowed in self-pity

Liz Truss departed Downing Street as she had inhabited it: Weakly, woodenly, arrogantly, haplessly, incoherently, unrepentantly, reeking of incompetence and without an ounce of personal insight.
This disgraceful chapter in British political history will serve some purpose if it demonstrates to future generations the peril of pig-headed political zealotry – whether from left or right. But even if that is so, it will have come at a terrible price for tens of millions of people.
In a pathetically deluded 90-second statement outside Number 10, Truss’s stated reason for quitting wasn’t that she had belatedly realised what she was trying to do was daft, but that she realised she would no longer be permitted by Tory MPs to deliver that reckless agenda.
Amen to that.
Talentless would be the one word I'd pick out if forced to but they all apply.

Bearing in mind the trend, is plausible that we get Mordaunt as PM, but she's such a disaster that she has to be replaced within 44 days.

Despite his (many) failings, Cummings has proved a very accurate commentator on the Tories and their abilities (or lack of). He had the human hand grenade spot on. And he reckons Mordaunt is a bigger idiot than Truss.

FX3SmNVWIAEZyxQ

A blind man could see this panning out the way it did.

I’ve been saying for months on here that there will be a GE before Christmas I still stand by that, the tories have imploded.

If they do have a coronation candidate lined up then you can bet your bottom dollar that he or she will be gone by Christmas then we’re in constitutional crisis territory.

You can get 72/5 on betfair for a 2022 election if you want to put your money where your mouth is. If you were the person repeatedly opining that Truss would call an election I'd caution against, however.

Umm. We live in a democracy, but the rules of this particular democracy do not require a General Election when a Prime Minister resigns/is sacked/dies. The idea that change of PM should mean a General Election only really dates back to when Blair handed over to Brown. Naturally each opposition party wants a General Election when it is ahead in the polls, but there’s no constitutional reason why the governing party shouldn’t change leaders as often as it wants to; it is the party, not the PM, which is elected.
Not strictly true. It’s incumbent upon the main party to form a stable government. If they are unable to, then, constitutionally, they should go back to the people. It is one of the few areas where our monarch can legitimately interfere in the democratic process in this country and demand an election if the majority party or coalition are unable to. It seems very obvious to anyone that we haven’t had a stable or functioning government since Johnson was rumbled.

I suspect the ERG and their shadowy supporters will foment misrule if someone they disapprove of (Sunak, Shapps, Hunt or anyone else that isn’t actually mental) gets in and we will have a similar shitshow all over again if one of their loons gets the job. So we may yet see a general election announced within the next few months. In the meantime hopefully they won’t be able to organise to do too much more damage.

She didn't make any mistakes she did the bidding of her paymasters, end of story. That just happened to be billionaires, hedge fund managers and dark money.

She made several mistakes, if that budget wasn’t of her design she okayed it so she showed poor judgment whichever way up. She was completely out of her depth.
The one consolation about this is that The Conservative Party should be unelectable for at least a decade:D

Maybe Boris Johnson can seek more “help and advice” from the Lord of Siberia ?

https://cliffordthurlow.com/2022/03/04/boris-johnson-and-the-lord-of-siberia/

'Russian oligarchs come to London because it is easiest place in the world to open secret accounts and shell companies in tax havens. They create offshore companies that buy luxury homes –' yachts, football clubs – registered to other nameless offshore companies. In this way, no tax is collected by the British government. The National Crime Agency estimates that between £36 billion and £90 billion is laundered through London each year at a cost of at least £24 billion to the UK taxpayer.'

And this yet another reason for the Tory wrecking ball.

John
btw, the petition for a GE is now just under 230,000 signatures. Not bad for half a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back