advertisement

The Premiership of Mary Elizabeth Truss.Sept 2022 - Oct 2022

Well, there’s the current incident, which seems a clear case of norms being strained or transgressed, opening up quite serious questions about the relationship between government and civil service that no one has any answers to.

There’s the Greenshill scandal, which seems to me like a good example of norms taking up the slack left by rules that aren’t fit for purpose, and not doing a good job of it.

During Covid it seems like a more formal delineation of role of the Chief Scientific Officer might have avoided scenes where the CSO went on TV declaring himself to be a scientist whose job was to speak scientific truth to power, while selling a government policy we later found it he had serious concerns about.

And then there’s Brexit, and while I wasn’t paying much attention I do remember friction between the civil service and government, with government figures making all sorts of accusations in a way that surely ran counter to the norms. More formal rules might have provided civil servants with more protection. I also remember reports of the dilemmas faced by civil servants when the government threatened to break the law over Brexit. That’s actually a really big example of norms and traditions simply not being up to the job of managing the relationship between government and civil service.

I'm not coming at any of this from an anti-civil service perspective. All I'm saying is that it does seem quite dependent on largely unwritten norms about The Way We Do Things that are coming under increasing strain because they weren't built for government by reckless spivs and morons. That stress-testing does also seem to be revealing some things about what we expect from the civil service, and how its relationship with government might be improved and made clearer.
Not to prolong this, but extraordinary circumstances sometimes cause extraordinary reactions from people who should know better. That does not mean the Civil Service is broken or even beginning to break, nor that large scale reform is needed. What it means is that some in the higher echelons need to remind themselves of their responsibilities and that being on TV a lot does not excuse poor judgement.

Après elle le déluge?

Washington Post analysis ( and it’s not good).
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...tains-untested-leaders-confront-its-problems/
A divided Britain confronts its future without the single unifying presence that the queen was able to provide.

Just in the past half dozen years, Britain’s government has been headed by four different prime ministers, with Boris Johnson having to resign earlier this summer amid multiple scandals.

The Brexit vote has kept Britain divided at home while generating lasting conflict with the E.U.
The turnover at 10 Downing Street underscores how damaging that decision has been to the stability of the country.

Being a Royalist creep could well swing the next election. Support for the monarchy will be sky-high.

Sir Keir is doing what is needed. The majority of voters will want to see it.

Looks like he's smarmed charmed his way to being Charles' favourite.

FcTodwuXEAYEM1z
That fat bloke in the kilt was a good laugh. Saw him waddle in, looked like he'd come as a clown!

On Truss herself: unpopular and with no real mandate:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...tains-untested-leaders-confront-its-problems/

Truss arrives in office untested. To win the leadership fight in the Conservative Party that vaulted her into the prime minister’s office, she curried favor with a narrow and very conservative constituency that is far from representative of the nation.

She was chosen on the votes of fewer than 100,000 people in a nation of 67 million and without a majority of Conservative members of Parliament.

Some of the promises she made to win those votes have been mocked by experts. She comes to office with low levels of popularity and no real mandate.

I thought Mordaunt was a real contender too but the truth is she performed quite poorly in the leadership contest, and didn't come across well in the TV debates.

The fact that she can perform a ceremonial role with aplomb doesn't change that. Yesterday's ceremony was highly structured, with rigid expectations of all involved - politics just ain't like that.

My, somewhat heretical, view is that Truss outperformed the rest of the Tory leadership candidates, and deserves her victory. I expect she will be more than a match for Keir Starmer, both at PMQs, and as a media performer. Her main problem is that the effects of so many years of Tory neglect are coming home to roost at once, so her premiership might be doomed before it ever gets going.

Still, I wonder if Queen Elizabeth's death might save her by acting as a major distraction and encouraging "unity". I don't know if it's normal, but the fact that Truss will accompany King Charles on his "mourning tour" of the UK might also give her a boost.

I expect she will be more than a match for Keir Starmer, both at PMQs, and as a media performer.

I think she will be terrible at both because public speaking and quick wittedness are her obvious weaknesses. Also Starmer for all his underwhelmingness as a public speaker is pretty good at PMQs just because of his lawlerly skills.

Still, I wonder if Queen Elizabeth's death might save her by acting as a major distraction and encouraging "unity". I don't know if it's normal, but the fact that Truss will accompany King Charles on his "mourning tour" of the UK might also give her a boost.

I think it will likely extend her honeymoon period.

The other thing to remember about her is that she will be fine with her base who will give her a lot of slack, but I think she will come across especially badly outside of core Tory zones and she will struggle to keep the broad coalition of support that Johnson managed on the basis of his popularity and familiarity.

I think she will be terrible at both because public speaking and quick wittedness are her obvious weaknesses. Also Starmer for all his underwhelmingness as a public speaker is pretty good at PMQs just because of his lawlerly skills.

I think it will likely extend her honeymoon period.

The other thing to remember about her is that she will be fine with her base who will give her a lot of slack, but I think she will come across especially badly outside of core Tory zones and she will struggle to keep the broad coalition of support that Johnson managed on the basis of his popularity and familiarity.
All quite possible, though I think Truss did just fine at her first PMQs (Blair in his prime would have made mincemeat of her, though).

It will be fascinating to see how it all plays out.

I have a feeling that there is a growing sense that it's time to give capitalism's B-team another go, now that it has been well and truly neutered.

Yes I agree. The UK's Biden moment and followed by similar levels of disappointment and dillusion...

Starmer is not even remotely in Biden’s league. I’ve been hugely impressed by the forcefulness of many of his speeches and actions. None of the limp flaccid all-directions-at-once cucked fence-sitting of Labour.

It was welcome to see Truss attend the service in Edinburgh today and to play no part in the proceedings beyond silently taking her place in St.Giles then leaving.

Yes I agree. The UK's Biden moment and followed by similar levels of disappointment and dillusion...

I had low expectations, but I have been impressed by Biden. He has been hobbled by the traitorous due of Manchin and Sinema in the Senate.

The UK should be so lucky as to have a leader like Biden ! I can't think of a UK PM I'd prefer to Biden in my lifetime (to be fair I didn't pay enough attention to Gordon Brown - though he seemed pretty competent up until his Gillian Duffy undoing).

advertisement

Back