advertisement

The Photography Purchase Confessional Thread (GAS)

It's almost as if you are reading my mind! :eek::D

Lefty

Don't Duplicate!! If you are going Landscape togging you will 'always' take the Z7 - choose to build the Fuji system to do different stuff and then you will use it more

Of course you could upgrade to man sized sensor and chop both the X-T2 and Z7 in...............................

Today's postal delivery

KliDX4Xh.jpg

Tried an EF40mm, AF seems just as fast as GF45mm

Don't Duplicate!! If you are going Landscape togging you will 'always' take the Z7 - choose to build the Fuji system to do different stuff and then you will use it more

Of course you could upgrade to man sized sensor and chop both the X-T2 and Z7 in...............................

You are, of course, right. I can't justify it in any rational sense. The sensible thing to do would have been to spend the money on getting the Nikon 24-200 Z lens, which would allow me to take less gear on big days out in the hills and not have to change lenses as much.

Truth is, i just fancied a flirt with Fuji again. I don't know why, but the Fuji somehow encourages me to be more experimental in my approach whereas I am quite Conservative with the Nikon. The Fuji files also behave very differently to the Nikon's and give a different look, which makes me shoot different things with it.

As regards going GFX, as much as I would love access to that sensor, the glass is just too heavy / expensive / limited for me I'm afraid. Never say never though! I continue to follow the GFX with interest.

Lefty

Been after some longer glass for getting shots of our daughter's rowing team, deciding to go for something to fit the D700 rather than the Fuji. One was for reasons of cost, the other down to amount of choice.

Popping into LCE Lincoln this morning, they had a few used lenses which would've been suitable (AF-Nikkor 80-400 Mk1, 200-500 f5.6 and the Sigma below). The 200-500 is lovely but more than I wanted to spend on a lens which wouldn't see a huge amount of use. Ended up with the Sigma - it's relatively small, light too, and will do ok for me...

100400 by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

I've bought very little lately. Not been shooting as much either - it's been a solid year of renovations at home. I did recently acquire a minty 70-200 2.8 VR1 (the third I've owned). It's flawless, in the box, and worked out at 400 squids - I couldn't say no. My daughter's taking photography next year, thought this might encourage her. Also give her opportunity to shoot some sports with me. She has my D7000 (bought as a spare body), 18-200VR, 35 1.8DX, 50 1.8G.

I may acquire a D610 shortly, something more compact than my D4/D4s for when I'm not shooting things that move.

Some time ago, I sold my old AF Nikkor 50 (D lens), thinking I could do without a nifty fifty in the bag. Gave up in the end, and got myself a very clean G version which arrived today. In initial testing, it looks like I have a good copy. When all's said, it's still my favourite focal length.

Nifty by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Having come into a bit of money and cleared the existing card debt and set aside enough to give us a cushion until Tonje can return to work - I decided I could make one big ticket purchase.
Went in to Grays of Westminster to check out a Z7 II in the flesh (the only place that seemed to have one in stock /on display) - too small for me and not sure about an evf. Ended up walking out with a D850 and 24-70 /2.8 VR, both second hand but near mint . Only 3.5k shutter activations on the camera.
Both got their first run out last night at the Swell Maps Sessions at Cafe Oto

Swell Maps sessions by Pete, on Flickr
Luke Haines & Jon Hodgson

Having come into a bit of money and cleared the existing card debt and set aside enough to give us a cushion until Tonje can return to work - I decided I could make one big ticket purchase.
Went in to Grays of Westminster to check out a Z7 II in the flesh (the only place that seemed to have one in stock /on display) - too small for me and not sure about an evf. Ended up walking out with a D850 and 24-70 /2.8 VR, both second hand but near mint . Only 3.5k shutter activations on the camera.
Both got their first run out last night at the Swell Maps Sessions at Cafe Oto

Swell Maps sessions by Pete, on Flickr
Luke Haines & Jon Hodgson

Nice one, Pete - and congrats on the D850 etc. I appreciate it's at the opposite end of the scale in terms of resolution/tech etc but I keep gravitating back to my D700; a camera which has been very close to being sold on numerous occasions, but one which has remained in the bag since late 2013. I love this old camera, it just 'fits' and despite its heft and clattering shutter it's always a joy to shoot with.

I've recently borrowed a friend's D810. It's done 80k - not a problem in itself but the aperture indexing ring is fubar'd meaning the body won't pick up aperture info from AI or screw-drive lenses. I'm sure once repaired and a re-calibration is performed, it'll be good for many more years. A much quieter shutter too.

Last edited:
My 3rd Pen F - well, not strictly. A few months ago, I let a trusted friend borrow my silver Pen F - he'd been after a small but high quality ILC so I suggested he have a play with the little Oly. He soon fell in love with its charms so went looking for a used one for himself. Not particularly common, and with prices on the rise, he eventually found a decent example in black. He would've preferred the silver so I offered a swap with mine.

The Pen is dead, long live the Pen. :)

Pen in hand by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

I got a D810.

I mentioned a D610 recently. I kept watching the one on used list for just NZD500 (GBP254 at today's rate), humming and ahhing. A good camera; a few jobbing professionals I know need nothing more and like the compact nature; they beat on them and get great images. Would the narrow cluster of focus points in the sensor piss me off? (not sure) Would I easily shoot around the shortcomings? (undoubtedly).

D750s were frequently available, they seem to hover around NZD1500 (NZD1300 more beaten-on). Makes the D610 look like great value! They're a good camera for sure, but do I need fold-out rear screen? Hell, I've only just started using liveview on my D4 and D4s! I think not.

Considering the D810 on its release, I knew it'd one day be the right camera for me. But they were more recently priced at NZD1900 (or 1700 at the low-end). Less frequently available than D600/610, and D750. Hmmm, still too much money for me, maybe that D610 would do? Then the D810 came up. NZD1500, low-mileage (26k releases, wedding backup body), genuine seller. "Ooooh" I thought. Watched it for a week. Saturday night - NZD1300 (decent price drop). I was salivating. Monday morning, NZD1200. OMG. Yes that's GBP609, in today's money. I had a quick chat with the Minister of Finance (minister of discretionary purchases?) and got the nod. Just couldn't walk past it at that price.

It arrived yesterday (boxed), and just needs a mild clean/dust around the controls. Rubbers are good, no appreciable wear or damage. Happy days. And that shutter is so quiet! Looking forward to getting to know it. Must take a snap of it soon and update this post.

Excellent performance shots!

That chap bears a striking resemblance to James Blunt :)

Incidentally, what fibre paper to you use? Those blacks are impressive.

Hi Toby,
Many thanks. James Blunt was indeed playing for someone's private birthday party. JB was excellent and fabulous with the family.
I have used DaVinci Fibre Gloss for almost 15 years (sold though Danny Chau at chaudigital in London). It was one of the first proper baryta papers to come out 15 years ago. I have always printed B&W with this paper using the Epson Advanced B&W mode.
The P7500 prints are fabulous, but the prints on my old 3800 were pretty good on the DaVInci paper - good enough for my friend's exhibition in the Leica Gallery in the City of London. She sold a few prints as well from the show and the customers & Leica were really happy.
Charlie

advertisement

Back