advertisement

The Photography Purchase Confessional Thread (GAS)

It looks good, I must give it a shot. I use Pinnacle at the moment, they are very good, but they don't seem to do a Cotton Fibre based Gloss any longer. I like the 'feel' of the cotton fibre-based papers. Am I right to assume that you use Photo Black rather than Matt Black?

A Christmas present to myself. Simon Baxter's wonderful book: 'Gathering Time'

51751033368_fb8c4bb6d5_b.jpg

51750792156_b7f081a4f7_b.jpg

51749960797_7ed9aea2cc_b.jpg

51751664995_ba846255a9_b.jpg

Lefty

It looks good, I must give it a shot. I use Pinnacle at the moment, they are very good, but they don't seem to do a Cotton Fibre based Gloss any longer. I like the 'feel' of the cotton fibre-based papers. Am I right to assume that you use Photo Black rather than Matt Black?

Toby,

Yes, I use photo black. I have included the link to Chau Digital. I have also used the 250 gsm Fibre Gloss Light, which is also very good. The old 2006 review on the paper is linked below too.

http://www.chaudigital.com/Davinci-Fibre-Gloss-p/dvfg.htm

https://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/uncategorized/da-vinci-fibre-gloss-photograhic-paper-31751

Good luck

Charlie

It's great (I think!) to have friends who are either working or retired pro-photographers. I say 'I think' as it's not always great for the wallet, especially if they're slimming down their kit and moving stuff on. One of these fine chaps lives in the village, and it is he who first put me onto getting a D700. He's given me first refusal on a low-click D3s (around 55k) which he's had - from new - as a back-up. He bought a D4 soon after which ended up being his main body; this particular D4 has around 850k shots on its shutter and still works perfectly.

Anyway, I'm going for it - same sensor as the D700, but with much-improved high ISO performance. Of course in terms of tech the D3 is a dinosaur but I still love the D700 which is even older. It's also a big, heavy beast but I'm not too bothered about that and its ergos are so good it's remarkably well-balanced.

Picking it up on thursday.

D3s by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

It's great (I think!) to have friends who are either working or retired pro-photographers. I say 'I think' as it's not always great for the wallet, especially if they're slimming down their kit and moving stuff on. One of these fine chaps lives in the village, and it is he who first put me onto getting a D700. He's given me first refusal on a low-click D3s (around 55k) which he's had - from new - as a back-up. He bought a D4 soon after which ended up being his main body; this particular D4 has around 850k shots on its shutter and still works perfectly.

Anyway, I'm going for it - same sensor as the D700, but with much-improved high ISO performance. Of course in terms of tech the D3 is a dinosaur but I still love the D700 which is even older. It's also a big, heavy beast but I'm not too bothered about that and its ergos are so good it's remarkably well-balanced.

Picking it up on thursday.

D3s by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

A proper machine gun!

As with jet noise - it's the sound of freedom! :D

The D700's shutter's even louder. :)

I can believe it, I was once approached when photographing inside Liverpool Cathedral by a Spanish girl with an ancient Nikon DSLR, she asked for me to take a picture of her inside the cathedral with her camera, honestly it sounded like someone had slammed one of the cathedral doors :D Made my Bronica mirror slap sound quiet!

I can believe it, I was once approached when photographing inside Liverpool Cathedral by a Spanish girl with an ancient Nikon DSLR, she asked for me to take a picture of her inside the cathedral with her camera, honestly it sounded like someone had slammed one of the cathedral doors :D Made my Bronica mirror slap sound quiet!

I'd agree some of them aren't the most subtle of devices, although I'd maintain the noisiest shutter I've used on a digital camera was the Sony A7RII. Not so much the volume of the noise (it is plenty loud though) but the 'quality' of it, always sounding like it would break at any time. Awful thing.

I think shutter sound quality should be considered by camera reviewers, and marked accordingly. For me, the nicest shutter sound would be a tie between Nikon Df and Oly Pen F - the latter's mechanical shutter is so similar to an OM1/2 it's as though Olympus designed it that way.

Nice one - a seriously capable camera the G9.

Probably more capable than the cameraman :)

However I think I now have it set up the same way I had my G80, so time to play. The excellent viewfinder will help me take more time and improve my composition with inspiration from some of the images on this thread. My aim: to take fewer pictures but take better pictures. So easy to use the machine gun approach with digital. When a roll of Kodachrome only had 36 shots you thought a bit more before pressing the shutter.

Last edited:
It is indeed excellent. Highly recommended.

It certainly is. Which brings me nicely onto the question - when are we going to see a similar book from you? :D Perhaps a collection of your collected Instagram and Facebook spiels (which I absolutely love reading by the way) along with the accompanying images? I'd certainly be first in line with a pre-order.

PS - I have a copy of 'Cellular' which you put out with Kozu and it's wonderful.

Lefty

I have had a lot of requests for an Instagram spiel collection. Image on one page and some vaguely connected ramblings on the other..

I've been writing a few odds and ends for 'my' book. I do want it to be about the words as much as the images. But it has to sell as well. It can't be just a monument to my ego. Talking to Simon the other evening and I know he has quite a few still to sell so I'll be trying to publicise his book this week. He and Joe Cornish have a joint exhibition in the summer. I think I'm talking at the private opening and there's also a separate talk from me over that weekend.

Picked this up today. I knew it was in really nice condition from giving it a once-over the other day, but getting it home I've come to realise the thing's nigh on spotless. Taken a few shots this afternoon, just faffing about in the garden mostly, and whilst yes it's quite a 'unit' the thing's so comfortable, so well balanced, it hides its bulk really well. Because the contact patch between right hand and camera grip is so entire, I can shoot it one-handed really easily. Only 2 other cameras I've owned feel as good - the Fuji X-H1 and the Oly EM1 Mk2 (the latter is an object lesson in ergos imho).

Couple of observations - the shutter's a fair bit quieter than the D700 but that's like saying C4 makes a quieter bang than TNT. It's all relative. :D

The battery is fubar'd - it's the original so over 10 years old, and the MH-22 charger is struggling to calibrate it.

Chunk by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

it's quite a 'unit' the thing's so comfortable, so well balanced, it hides its bulk really well. Because the contact patch between right hand and camera grip is so entire, I can shoot it one-handed really easily.
Looks great.
What you say about being balanced is exactly why my 1DX2 is so comfortable. The grip is just perfectly designed and even with a 400 or 600 on it you hardly notice the bulk and 16 fps comes in handy with my wildlife/ sports interests. The forthcoming R3 is double that!

I have had a lot of requests for an Instagram spiel collection. Image on one page and some vaguely connected ramblings on the other..

I've been writing a few odds and ends for 'my' book. I do want it to be about the words as much as the images. But it has to sell as well. It can't be just a monument to my ego. Talking to Simon the other evening and I know he has quite a few still to sell so I'll be trying to publicise his book this week. He and Joe Cornish have a joint exhibition in the summer. I think I'm talking at the private opening and there's also a separate talk from me over that weekend.

Great to hear the book is in work and wonderful to hear the focus will be on both the words and images. I would be very surprised it it didn't sell out very quickly. Not that it's anywhere near the same scale, but I found when I put my second zine 'Parklife' out, the special editions sold out before the standard editions. This surprised me as I expected them to be the last to go.

In terms of other photographers, I know that Neil Burnell had to work very hard on the promotional front for both 'Mystical' and 'Seascapes'. Must say I'm surprised to hear Simon has copies left. It's an excellent book and he's a nice bloke with a large following.

It would be great to make it up to the exhibition. Speaking of which, how did yours go?

Lefty

Last edited:

advertisement

Back