advertisement

The pfm Lego Investment Challenge

So, how are your Lego portfolios doing from an investment standpoint? I have yet to liquidate a single set, so my gains are purely based on indicative values on BrickLink. Mine has done better than my pension fund.

I’ve only sold two I think, both here to people who specifically wanted them. I’d actually like to move some on as they occupy about a third of my bedroom and I’m really short of space for all the other stuff I collect. As an investment it is doing very well according to Brick Economy, a fair bit hasn’t ripened yet too (i.e. is still available new), so it will go up further:

Paid price £3,142.24
Current value £5,676.89 (+80.66%)

If I could get a return anything approaching that for my cash savings (which have done disastrously, far below the UK’s spiralling inflation), I’d be laughing. My record collection is the big one though, and that’s way easier to cash in when the time comes as most of the items are the same size, shape and weight! The problem with selling Lego is all the different sizes of packaging one would need to have in stock. That, storage and fees (which I don’t have beyond PayPal selling vinyl) are the real negatives here, and would seriously eat into the profits.

PS I think I’ve just made my collection public if anyone wants a browse:

Looking at the John Lewis Lego sale to see if Concorde was there (no) and spotted the most boring build ever. £180 for Captain America's shield!!!

I’ve only sold two I think, both here to people who specifically wanted them. I’d actually like to move some on as they occupy about a third of my bedroom and I’m really short of space for all the other stuff I collect. As an investment it is doing very well according to Brick Economy, a fair bit hasn’t ripened yet too (i.e. is still available new), so it will go up further:

Paid price £3,142.24
Current value £5,676.89 (+80.66%)

If I could get a return anything approaching that for my cash savings (which have done disastrously, far below the UK’s spiralling inflation), I’d be laughing. My record collection is the big one though, and that’s way easier to cash in when the time comes as most of the items are the same size, shape and weight! The problem with selling Lego is all the different sizes of packaging one would need to have in stock. That, storage and fees (which I don’t have beyond PayPal selling vinyl) are the real negatives here, and would seriously eat into the profits.

PS I think I’ve just made my collection public if anyone wants a browse:

If you ever want to sell the Apollo Saturn let me know!

If you ever want to sell the Apollo Saturn let me know!

I think realistically it is too early to let that one go, it has only recently retired and it’s a heck of a lot of hassle digging it out and finding a box to only make a tenner. I’d be more tempted if you could collect (Lancashire). It’s certainly one I’d not mind letting go as I’ve got another not counted in the list that I built. If you wanted to add a couple more sets to it that have shown more of a return I’d be a lot more willing to ship.

My Concorde is on order from the Lego Store for delivery early November. However I have built a replacement tail fin ready to put on…..in BA colours! (the “three waves” version)

I‘m also looking at wall mounts for it (Amazon & Etsy).

I‘m also looking at wall mounts for it (Amazon & Etsy).

this one https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1555001004/wall-mounting-kit-for-displaying?click_key=535fa2ffa7445fe9736b1e5c98a06819a522ce96:1555001004&click_sum=615ee509&ref=shop_home_active_3&crt=1&sts=1 from etsy is really nicely made

20231019_125534 by uh_simon, on Flickr

apologies for poor focus

20231019_134704 by uh_simon, on Flickr

Concorde is still not finished - i am still waiting for the spare parts from the destructor cats

That mount looks good, are they the “landing” variant for Concorde, and the “banked” for the Shuttle?

I’ll need both as well…. :D

That mount looks good, are they the “landing” variant for Concorde, and the “banked” for the Shuttle?

I’ll need both as well…. :D

For concorde i bought the landing variant. For the shuttle i bought the Super Deluxe Kit so i could fiddle - in the end i decided to keep the Hubble in the bay of the Shuttle.

I am thinking hard about how to mount my Mars Rover so it looks like it is driving up the wall

I've got one of my Ulysses spacecraft (the Lego VIP freebie one) in the shuttle bay, so the Super Delux kit would work well, and get Hubble on the wall as well.

an addition to the Botanical range "Tiny Plants" - on pre order

Screenshot-20231028-090547-Chrome.jpg

advertisement

Back