advertisement

The pfm Lego Investment Challenge

I think you’ll find that was mostly Hull, again.

Actually not true. Most telephone boxes in Kingston had a lolly stick wedged in the slot to fiddle the call.

PS the actual name of the place is Kingston - the Hull is a River - Kingston upon Hull. Hence Kingston Communications

Do people from Newcastle say they're from Tyne. People from Stratford say they're from Avon , Berwick - Tweed , Burton - Trent ? etc etc

To be honest I’m not sure what I make of this Lego model. I have a feeling it will be pretty minority interest so I suspect I’ll pass. I’m really slowing buying now as I’ve got so much stored and haven’t sold anything on yet. I still fancy the NASA Mars Rover and Senna’s McLaren (even though the back wheels are so obviously wrong!). I think they’ll do ok in time, but I’ll wait until the right deal to buy.
I'm getting a little behind too. My latest acquisitions are:
  • The Insect Collection 21342
  • Polaroid OneStep SX-70 Camera 21345
  • Tiny Plants 10329
I'm still waiting for the right time/price to pick up:
  • Ferrari Daytona SP3 42143 to complete my set of all four 1/8th scale super cars
  • Natural History Museum 10326 to continue my collection of Modular Buildings (12 so far)
  • Alpine Lodge 10325 and Holiday Main Street 10308 to continue my collection of Winter scenes
I estimate I have around 3.5 cubic metres of unopened Lego sets, which doesn't seem like much until you try to find space to store them properly.

The Modular Buildings range is surprisingly good from an investment perspective. I’ve only got three; Brick Bank, Parisian Restaurant, and Jazz Club, and the two retired ones are doing very well. I suspect just buying every one in that series would be a great long-term investment strategy. BrickEconomy shows Brick Bank as my most valuable set at £452 (I paid £119).

The Modular Buildings range is surprisingly good from an investment perspective. I’ve only got three; Brick Bank, Parisian Restaurant, and Jazz Club, and the two retired ones are doing very well. I suspect just buying every one in that series would be a great long-term investment strategy. BrickEconomy shows Brick Bank as my most valuable set at £452 (I paid £119).
The Speed Champions also show remarkable gains, especially for the earlier 6-stud wide sets. I have all of them too. It's both a blessing and curse their base price is so low.

The Speed Champions also show remarkable gains, especially for the earlier 6-stud wide sets. I have all of them too. It's both a blessing and curse their base price is so low.

I was late to that range, I’ve got 75913 LEGO Speed Champions F14 T & Scuderia Ferrari Truck, and that has done very well (£226 from £79). As a result I invested in a fair number of the more recent ranges, including some multiples where I saw good prices, e.g. the Lamborghini and the James Bond DB6. These are all yet to ripen, but I suspect they’ll be good in 5 years or so.

Looking at things from the ‘do I think it is any good or not?’ perspective, which they say investors should never do (but has done remarkably well for me with vinyl!), I think the Lamborghini is exceptionally good. The way they designed the back end is just genius. Just so well thought out and captures the form so well. I’ve not built any of them. With the exception of the Saturn V and Yellow Sub I’m only here to invest, and in both of those cases I have another sealed example for the portfolio.

The areas I’ve possibly screwed up are following my computer nerd instincts and buying the Nintendo and Atari stuff, they’ve both been on sale at Lego for less than I paid, so I suspect they over-estimated demand. May be a long time before I break even on those. The Batcave was another poor one, which thankfully I got at a discount. That is the only one I bought despite not feeling it was very good. Regardless I’m miles ahead. According to BrickEconomy I’m at £5602 for a £3142 investment, and there is still a substantial amount in there yet to retire. I’m just going to hold and sit tight now. I’m only going to take a punt on stuff I think is exceptional, e.g. I definitely want the Mars Rover!

We have 20/20 hindsight, mostly. What I use to hedge my investment bets is the question of whether I would enjoy building the sets if their values fall through the floor. So I mostly tend to buy what I actually like. If I like them so much that I must build one, I buy two. I have two of each of the 8-stud Speed Champions, and I agree the Lambo Countach is remarkably true to form for such a small set.

The one regret I have is not getting two of the Wall-E sets. That has done very well too.

The one regret I have is not getting two of the Wall-E sets. That has done very well too.

I’ve got two of them, again bought because I felt Lego had absolutely nailed the form and I would happily have one built on display if the price tanked. One of the first sets I bought.

bought some lego bits, to make a "walkway/platform" to go beside the Orient Express - so we could mount the minifigures with interference from the destructor brothers

20240225_114717 by uh_simon, on Flickr
Now that really is gorgeous.

Simon, what’s the length of the train?
i‘m sitting here eyeing up a pair of 80cm Billy bookcases, and thinking that an extended track might accommodate, in line, both the OE and my Hogwarts Express.

Now that really is gorgeous.

Simon, what’s the length of the train?
i‘m sitting here eyeing up a pair of 80cm Billy bookcases, and thinking that an extended track might accommodate, in line, both the OE and my Hogwarts Express.

It is about 120cm.

I don't know if it matters, but I thought I read somewhere that OE and HE tracks are different.

And of course, there are two Hogwarts Expresses. I have the smaller one (1 carriage & Kings Cross platform), with a four centimeter track gauge. OTOH, they will both fit lengthways on top of the bookcase, well out of reach of "The Deconstructor" kitten!

That’s interesting, though according to this site (www.the-telephone-box.co.uk) the K3 are very rare indeed.

OMD’s phone box in Meols looks to be a K6. I think most one sees are:

14968058327_cf5699b399_c.jpg

I’d be surprised if the Lego model was sufficiently accurate to be clear between a K2 and K6, even if it is obviously not a K3.

To be honest I’m not sure what I make of this Lego model. I have a feeling it will be pretty minority interest so I suspect I’ll pass. I’m really slowing buying now as I’ve got so much stored and haven’t sold anything on yet. I still fancy the NASA Mars Rover and Senna’s McLaren (even though the back wheels are so obviously wrong!). I think they’ll do ok in time, but I’ll wait until the right deal to buy.
My OH is curiously interested in the different models of old phone boxes and will occasionally give me a nudge and point out an interesting one...

I take it everyone has visited St Pancras Old Church next to Kings Cross Station to see the grave of Sir John Soane - the inspiration for the original design.

960x540_web_soaneMausoleumOldStPancrasChurchyard%20cc0%20Wikimedia.jpg

Really cool phone box restorations, but I’m triggered by their using a type 22 dial on a 232 here! Should be a type 10 or a 12!

53559411118_63e85ba02d_b.jpg

Here’s one of mine with its correct type 10 dial!

PS I am the person who notices this stuff on TV dramas etc!

Must finish the Yamaha MT-10 SP build I'm halfway through. I have three waiting when this gets done:

Ferrari Daytona SP3
Liebherr Crawler Crane LR 13000
Concorde

That McLaren is great! I need to get one/a couple of those. I’ll hold off for a deal though.

Amazon have the NASA Perseverance Mars Rover for a rather nice £67 at present, which is good enough for me to bite. I’ve wanted to add one for a while. I want the new R2D2 when there is a discount too, that may be smaller than the previous ones, but I think it captures the form better.

Not affiliated, but Nordic Nest have some very good deals on the wooden Minifigure and the wooden brick boxes, especially if you juggle registering with getting the 5% off coupon. Real outsider punts for investment, but really nice items. The brick boxes have halved in retail price, they were originally £200 a throw for the 8 stud one, and with the coupon as well as the NN discount they are pretty attractive. I was thinking of using one to store cartridge boxes and similar turntable stuff, but it doesn’t fit neatly in my room anywhere so I’ll keep it in the investment stash. The Minifigure is great! I’ve stuck mine on display. None of these are sealed, so as long as they don’t discolour in light you can have them on display and still remain part of the investment portfolio.

53590235409_2861341154_b.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back