advertisement

The pfm Lego Investment Challenge

Just stumbled upon this thread. Has anyone actually made any money from this, has the value of initial investment grown?

No idea where I am at present as I’ve only ever thought of it as long term (10+ years), though I know some items I bought have increased already, e.g. the Wall.E (I have two). I’m far less confident with the Star Wars and suspect I’m over-invested there. I bet the NASA (Saturn V, Lander etc) stuff does well with time.

Yes, I’ve got a UCS Slave 1 and the Tie Fighter. Good to see it moving in the right direction!

PS Here’s my current ‘portfolio’:

21304 Doctor Who £49.99
21303 WALL•E £39.99
10251 Brick Bank £119.99
75095 Star Wars TIE Fighter™ £169.99
75060 Star Wars Slave I™ £169.99
21306 Yellow Submarine £49.99 (I have two, but I've built one to keep so only counting one)
40222 LEGO Christmas Build Up £0.00 (freebie from Lego.com)
40222 LEGO Christmas Build Up £0.00 (freebie from Lego.com)
21050 Architecture Studio £138.97
75913 Speed Champions F14 T Scuderia Ferrari £79.93
75156 Star Wars Rogue One Krennic's Imperial Shuttle £0.00 (Tesco 3 for 2 offer with the two sets above)
75911 Speed Champions Mclaren Mercedes Pit Stop £21.97 (Amazon)
76052 Batman™ Classic TV Series £183.99 (Lego Black Friday)
40223 LEGO Snowglobe £0.00 (freebie from Lego.com)
40223 LEGO Snowglobe £0.00 (freebie from Lego.com)
10243 Creator Parisian Restaurant £128.37
21303 WALL•E £39.99
21304 Doctor Who £33.25 (Tesco 1/3rd off)
75150 Vader’s TIE Advanced vs. A-Wing Starfighter £39.99
75091 Flash Speeder™ £17.49
30446 The Batmobile £0.00 (freebie from Lego.com)
76046 Heroes of Justice: Sky High Battle £27.49
75140 Resistance Troop Transporter £29.99
30446 The Batmobile £0.00 (freebie from Lego.com)
21309 Saturn V £109.99
5004936 MF Cave Set D160 £0.00 (freebie from Lego.com)
10730 Lightning McClean £7.99
21310 Women Of NASA £19.99
21314 Tron Legacy £29.99
21317 Steamboat Willie £79.99 (box typo (Ideas #24))
853958 Chicken Skater Pod £0.00 (Easter freebie from Lego shop)
10266 Apollo 11 Lunar Lander £84.99
40355 Ideas Space Rocket Ride (freebie)
71023 Lego Movie figure £1.49 (to qualify for freebie above)

Lego VIP Points discount applied to date -£65.00
Lego catalogue vouchers applied to date -£10.00

Total investment: £1600.80

Not counted in figures above but retaining some resale value (boxes, manual, packaging etc obviously retained):

Built 21306 Yellow Submarine (£49.99)
Built 40320 Volvo L340F Wheel Loader(£169.99)
Built 21309 Saturn V £109.99

Just stumbled upon this thread. Has anyone actually made any money from this, has the value of initial investment grown?
I’ve been selling off some sets bought 2-3 years ago. My average profit on purchase price to date is 55%. Star performer so far is The Big Bang Theory, bought at full RRP and sold at 93% profit after fees and postage. Next was the big Mercedes Truck, sold at 84% profit (although that was bought at 1/3 off RRP.) The eBay £1 final value promos help a lot here!

Like Tony, I have a couple of Wall-Es. They probably would fetch 150-200% profit at the moment and are increasing in price, so I’m in no rush to sell those.

I’ve been selling off some sets bought 2-3 years ago. My average profit on purchase price to date is 55%. Star performer so far is The Big Bang Theory, bought at full RRP and sold at 93% profit after fees and postage. Next was the big Mercedes Truck, sold at 84% profit (although that was bought at 1/3 off RRP.) The eBay £1 final value promos help a lot here!

Have you figured out any optimal sale times at all, i.e. does it keep on rising or peak and then dip?

I’ve always thought of mine as being a long-term investment, though if that isn’t the way to play it I’ll maybe rethink. It occupies a lot of space stacked up in brown card boxes in my bedroom, rather more than I initially considered when deciding to take an investment punt! This is definitely the disadvantage when compared to something like a Les Paul, Rolex or whatever!

Disappointed I didn’t grab the Big Bang Theory, I really should have as it was pretty obvious that one would go up even though I didn’t think it was that good a representation. If I’ve made a mistake it is allowing my own bias to play a part in whether I think a set is actually any good or not, i.e. captures the form. As an example I feel the Yellow Sub, Wall.E, Saturn V are stunning, and some of the cars (Aston Martin, Porsche etc) pretty dreadful, so haven’t bought them. I learnt not to allow my own taste to play any part in record sales decades ago, my opinion is irrelevant, all that matters there is condition as if it sold originally chances are someone will still want a perfect copy now. I’ve tried to do that here to a large degree, e.g. I have no interest in Star Wars, but I still don’t buy sets I feel look really clunky and wrong!

I bought a Saturn V on release. From John Lewis. It arrived with a slightly damaged box (minuscule crush on one corner) So I complained and they gave me a £25 voucher.

A few weeks later it went out of stock and wasn't due back in for months. So I put it on Ebay and sold it for £175.

Not a bad return.

PS. I did later buy another one from Lego that arrived in pristine condition. Those boxes. They have to be perfect.
John Lewis were chucking them in a plastic bag and hoping they'd arrive OK. Not like Lego double boxing them. Mistake made. Lesson learned.

I love the Saturn V, I’d have bought one of those regardless of any investment potential. I have two, one new in box, the other:

36660877264_d8efdd0120_b.jpg

...just a few feet away as I type!

Have you figured out any optimal sale times at all, i.e. does it keep on rising or peak and then dip?

Nothing as clever as that, I decided to sell some stuff and looked on eBay sold listings to see which sets I had were recouping the most!

I’ve always thought of mine as being a long-term investment, though if that isn’t the way to play it I’ll maybe rethink. It occupies a lot of space stacked up in brown card boxes my bedroom, rather more than I initially considered when deciding to take an investment punt! This is definitely the disadvantage when compared to something like a Les Paul, Rolex or whatever!

Yes, the space they were taking up was a factor. Also given the string of recent excellent wine vintages I thought I’d free up a £k or so to move some assets from wardrobe to cellar.

Must admit. I am so tempted by that Lunar lander.

If the'd have already released that revitalised Apollo 11 docu / film on 4k Bluray instead of having to wait till November (why?)

I can guarantee it would be here already.

Future classic for sure.

The Lunar Lander is really good, I had a close look at one in the Lego store and I like it a lot. I’ll keep mine new/boxed as I’ve just nowhere to put a built one (it is bigger than you might initially think). Very tempting, definitely one of my favourites, though I’m a sucker for anything NASA.

Likewise Tony. In fact I'm considering buying 2. One for investment and one to build to dangle from the ceiling with some sparklers inserted in the boosters for
added effect.

Just bought one. They seem to be going for £115+ everywhere apart from lego dot com (£84.99) so have taken the plunge.

They are one of the various ‘specials’ only available from Lego.com and Lego stores, i.e. no discounts. Anyone else is reselling stock they bought this way.

Are you going to build it?

PS The art with this Lego shop/web stuff is to buy when there is a freebie offer on, e.g. I got the Ideas Space Rocket Ride thrown in with mine (I actually had to spend an extra £1.49 on a random mini-figure as the qualifying spend was £85).The freebies can end up worth £15-25, so are well worth having to offset a full purchase price.

Are you going to build it?

I don't know - will try not to but my willpower has been known to crumble easily.

Somehow managed not to build this yet! LEGO Technic 42081 Volvo Concept Wheel Loader ZEUX

Got it for £64.99, a price which has seemingly completely disappeared now.

Can't believe there's no VW Camper Van in that list. It's the best.
It's been available since 2011. I think Lego forgot to switch off this production line. I've got two: One boxed and another built.

I've found that the individual Speed Champion cars appreciate rather well. Except for the Ferrari 458 Italia GT2 (75908), I have the entire set.

Didn't do too badly on my 42009 mobile crane. They go for daft money now. Really good fun to build. And thanks to the genius modding crowd it turned into a car transporter too. Sad I sold it really.
1GaGtOQ.jpg

advertisement

Back