advertisement

The pfm Lego Investment Challenge

That is one of the better attempts at classic cars IMO, instantly recognisable and captures most of the lines. The custom options are amusing too!

As this is an investment thread I wonder if a built/used model would sell better if neatly disassembled back into numbered zip-lock bags? It would be easy enough to do when putting it back in the box to ship. Would that add further value to a rare model.

A set of zip-lock bags are exactly what I need. I'm re-building the crane - it's not a new set any more, and when I initially disassembled it all the parts went into different bags, which are starting to tear anyway with pieces falling out from time to time.

That is one of the better attempts at classic cars IMO, instantly recognisable and captures most of the lines. The custom options are amusing too!

Think it looks the business - I'll definitely be getting it at some point but it won't be for me. The Mrs loves the old Mustangs and is getting envious of me building my other kits so I gotta do the right thing and get it for her!

Crazy price: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07G3D9TT6/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Guess it's because it's yet to be released. Should be cheaper later on in the year.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Crazy price: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07G3D9TT6/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Guess it's because it's yet to be released. Should be cheaper later on in the year.
It's been released - had one here for about a month. Mine came with a free Lego Mustang keyring and a 'My other car is a Mustang' bumper sticker. Silly price on Amazon is because it's temporarily out of stock on the Lego website. Not sure who would pay nearly double the price rather than wait a week or two.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
It's been released - had one here for about a month. Mine came with a free Lego Mustang keyring and a 'My other car is a Mustang' bumper sticker. Silly price on Amazon is because it's temporarily out of stock on the Lego website. Not sure who would pay nearly double the price rather than wait a week or two.
Ah, that's a relief - didn't think it was worth £200 TBH. Expected a similar price to the Saturn Apollo kit which was around £80.

I picked up the Steamboat Willie at a Lego store yesterday.

For the collectors, the early boxes have a mistake on them, they are numbered #24 in the ideas series but should be #25. Later boxes will be corrected; the store was full of #24 boxes.

Thanks for the tip on that. I picked one up today from the Manchester Arndale store, they had a good bit of stock, all still #24 boxes. Annoyingly I didn’t have any points on my VIP card so paid full price (seems rather expensive at £79.99) but got a free easter toy which usually end up being worth £5-10 so all helps.

They had a built Steamboat Willie in the window and it looked good to me. I’ve seen a couple of sneering comments about this set (mainly folk not liking the monochrome, which I think is great!), but I really like the look of it. The ‘Ideas’ range is Lego’s best IMO, if I was starting off collecting for investment again I think I’d buy that series alone, just grab a couple of each as they are released.

I probably need to grab a Flintstones set, but I’ll look for discounts on that one.

A very nice Apollo 11 Lunar Lander has recently appeared as part of the 50 Anniversary of the moon landing. I saw one built in the Manchester Lego Shop and it really does look good! I picked one up for the ‘portfolio’, I just can’t say no to NASA stuff! This one is Lego stores and Lego.com only, so they are price-fixing to a degree. There is an offer on at present that if you go over £85 you get a free Lego Ideas range ‘Space Rocket Ride’, so I added a bagged mini-figure for £1.49 to get across the threshold for that (the store-only freebies can do quite well, and this one is rather more substantial than most), and I had a fiver on VIP points to redeem.

A very nice Apollo 11 Lunar Lander has recently appeared as part of the 50 Anniversary of the moon landing. I saw one built in the Manchester Lego Shop and it really does look good! I picked one up for the ‘portfolio’, I just can’t say no to NASA stuff! This one is Lego stores and Lego.com only, so they are price-fixing to a degree. There is an offer on at present that if you go over £85 you get a free Lego Ideas range ‘Space Rocket Ride’, so I added a bagged mini-figure for £1.49 to get across the threshold for that (the store-only freebies can do quite well, and this one is rather more substantial than most), and I had a fiver on VIP points to redeem.

That does look good. Really liking these creator kits more than the Technical models I started out buying. I can see me keeping them longer whereas the Tech kits I think I'll eventually break back down and sell on. I know they're different builds but there's something a bit more permanent about the Creator stuff to me.

That does look good. Worth the 85 quid though?

That does look good. Worth the 85 quid though?

Seeing the built one in the Lego Store I think so, yes. Lego is fairly expensive, but also plays by its own rules investment wise so can actually make fairly good returns. The thing for me is some sets are radically better than others, and I’d say this one was a very, very good one that really captures the look and proportion of the original. It seems to have a very good manual that tells the story well too. Full review on BrickSet. My only criticism is I don’t think they have got the look of the spacesuit helmets right for the MiniFigures, the rest is just superb.

I’ll be resisting the considerable temptation to build mine as I’ve really nowhere to put it, but I would rate this one along with the Saturn V rocket, Yellow Submarine and Wall-E as the very best of the sets I have bought. The ones that really capture the look and proportion of the item they model to an amazing degree given they are made out of Lego. I’ll be astonished if the Lander doesn’t do well long-term once deleted, especially given it is an anniversary edition. To be honest it is that good that if there is a decent sale I’m tempted to double my investment as I just can’t see this one losing long-term as it models such an iconic item so well. Hard to know if I’m just biased though as I can’t get enough of NASA/Apollo stuff and don’t really care in the slightest about say Star Wars (where I’m likely well over-invested).

Just stumbled upon this thread. Has anyone actually made any money from this, has the value of initial investment grown?

advertisement

Back