advertisement

The pfm Lego Investment Challenge

Not much post-capitalist, anti-consumer, left-of-liberal, standard PFM thinking going on in this thread.

Huh? I've never been any of those things; I've always made my money by buying and selling (e.g. records & CDs, hi-fi etc) as well as selling IT skills etc. I'm a capitalist in a very real sense, just not the typically selfish, blinkered, ignorant xenophobic prick that so often seems to go with the territory, i.e. I actually believe in paying for services and infrastructure! I'm arguably far more capitalist than most in that I've got out there and created stuff for myself rather than take a pay cheque from someone else.

PS Lego are a really great company to invest in, they have for instance stopped advertising in right-wing hate publications such as The Daily Mail due to the Stop Funding Hate campaign. Good on 'em, and I hope a lot more follow!

Not much post-capitalist, anti-consumer, left-of-liberal, standard PFM thinking going on in this thread.

Ah, but that only kicks in when the numbers get bigger :D

My problem is I'd only invest in things I was interested in, and consequently wouldn't then want to part with them which would kind of defeat the point. But I look forward to seeing how it goes!

I have bought tons of lego to build and sell again as complete models. It is great fun and so relaxing. It can get addictive though...
You can get any missing parts for pennies via Bricklink and there are scans of plans on Brickset to download and print.
Best way is to get a whole box of jumbled parts and plans and build the sets one by one and sort the bricks out as you go.
For the investment challenge I just bought Obi Wons Jedi Fighter, half price in Argos at £11.99 and put it away...
The lego is taking over from the Hi Fi at this time of year....I got photo mugged by the wife...

Talk of 'big bucks', 'balanced portfolios' and investing in bio-tech is missing the point. For me it's something a little different, a bit of amusement and a reaction to Santander offering me an ISA rate of 0.05%. In the eighties and nineties I used to buy wine en primeur. If it went up in value I sold some, drank the profit and reinvested, but if it didn't I drank the lot. I'm treating this the same way.

The lego for investment:

10240 Red Five X-wing Starfighter £169.99
42000 Racer (f1) £100.00
42039 24 hour race car £99.99
9748 Lego mindstorm r2d2 £25.00
42041 race truck £59.99
10248 Ferrari F40 £59.99
70751 Temple of airjitzu £169.99
76023 The Tumbler £159.99
21304 Doctor Who £49.99
21304 Doctor Who £49.99
21303 Wall E £45.00
40143 Lego Bricktober Bakery £0.00
10242 Mini Cooper £74.99
21108 Ghostbusters Ecto-1 £44.99
75910 Porsche 918 spyder £12.99
75030 Millennium Falcon (mini) £0.00
42020 Twin Rotor Helicopter £20.00
21109 Exo Suit £0.00
75095 Tie Fighter £169.99
75827 Ghostbusters Firehouse Headquarters £259.99

I also have Lego for display (various racing cars, camper van, another Wall-E, a monkey thats flipping the bird, framed minifigs etc)
and we have Lego for play, 2 large plastic boxes full of various assorted lego.. The 3 year old and the 37 year old love it... The lady of the house not so much.

Also had a Super Star Destoyer, bought for £150ish, sold for over £500 a few years ago.. Now THAT was a happy sale, and the buyer was so excited and planned to build it that weekend, it was one of his dream sets!

Excellent, Mike!

lego.jpg

Oh, can all you Lego fans please vote for the Ideas Golf MK1 GTi. Hopefully it will be Helios Blue

This is an interesting experiment!

I would love to partake, but I do not have enough money to.

My 13 year old son loves his Lego, particularly Ninjago. I will ask him which ones he thinks will become collectors' items.

Ninjago itself wouldnt be a good investment, as its Legos own work so they can re-license at any time to make more.. The best 'earners' seem to be sets that are made under license from someone else.

And for those who havent seen it, http://www.brickpicker.com/ is a great site for exactly what you are trying to do.

Sam_cat, any chance of a walk through your prices? I can't figure out how so much is so cheap unless you are buying used on car-boots or something.

PS I also really fancy the Disney Castle, that looks to be moving upwards on eBay even though you can still buy it from the Lego store!

In my generous Christmas spirit, I've given away three Lego Santa snow globes to friends with kids. Just seen the price they're going for on eBay. Bollocks. Would have been £75 bonus.

In my generous Christmas spirit, I've given away three Lego Santa snow globes to friends with kids. Just seen the price they're going for on eBay. Bollocks. Would have been £75 bonus.

Yule not be happy about that. :)

Is lego the same as most other collectible toys? ie if it's been opened and especially played with it loses about 90% of its value......unless absolutely and incredibly hens teeth rare.

Sam_cat, any chance of a walk through your prices? I can't figure out how so much is so cheap unless you are buying used on car-boots or something.

PS I also really fancy the Disney Castle, that looks to be moving upwards on eBay even though you can still buy it from the Lego store!

That's simply the price I paid, it was a snapshot from my portfolio spreadsheet.

I often take advantage of voucher codes, combined with quidco, cashback offers and any other trick I can find to get the purchase price down. Only item on that list that is second hand is the r2d2.. Everything else is new and still sealed.

I get the impression you are all more optimistic about the future than me, given my investment portfolio looks like:
  • canned goods
  • water filtration system
  • crossbow
  • spikes to weld to the bonnet of my Landrover
:)

Just added The Disney Castle. It's supposed to be a work of art and should be very desirable and collectable in a few years. Online is already on back order.

I'm not au-fait with the Lego market.

Anywhere I can get some advice on what to invest in?

I'm wary of...

31374379355_ca465d1621_z.jpg

advertisement

Back