advertisement

The pfm Lego Investment Challenge

I have the 1960s 060 set, plus some extra bits and pieces, with a play-worn box, wrapped up in clingfilm somewhere

Maybe we should have an entrants list as I'm uncertain who wants to play and who are simply listing their Lego. If you want to join in please can you copy the list below into a new post an add yourself? There are no minimum or maximum holding values - TBH no one would have a clue if your portfolio was virtual!

lsinclair
Tony L
I don't live in UK and don't pay in £, which adds another variable in forex. I'll just list and keep my own spreadsheet.

Is lego the same as most other collectible toys? ie if it's been opened and especially played with it loses about 90% of its value......unless absolutely and incredibly hens teeth rare.
Yes, boxed, sealed and immaculate is the way to go.

Notwithstanding my first post here: what a waste of a brilliant toy! Actually playing with the stuff is worth so very much more than what it might make in some fictitious future.

Yes, I am biased ;)

lego-dad_600px.jpg

(we've long agreed this is the album cover...)

Notwithstanding my first post here: what a waste of a brilliant toy! Actually playing with the stuff is worth so very much more than what it might make in some fictitious future.

Yes, I am biased ;)

I take your point, and Yellow Submarine (I built one!) and Architecture set (which I doubt will last the investment period sealed) aside I've been buying purely to speculate. I've very little interest in Star Wars beyond enjoying the first couple back in the late '70s or whenever they came out, so no compulsion to open them.

The one I'm seriously tempted to grab (in fact may do before the evening is out) is the 42030 Technic Remote Controlled Volvo Wheel Loader. That thing looks like great fun and I suspect I could seriously piss the cat off with it, e.g. put biscuits in the bucket and drive away from the cat. It's just been retired but can still be had at list price on eBay if I'm quick. It is such a cool thing I suspect I could build it, play with it, and not lose too much value as long as I kept it close to mint.

Well, I've built a few of my sets.

18309240-md.jpg

Over my summer holidays, I will take most of them apart, build their B-versions (Technic sets), play with them a bit, then disassemble and store in their original boxes. I'm a bit wary of white pieces yellowing with exposure to light.

The daughter of a good friend of mine had the dream job for some of you.

She was employed by Lego as a display builder in retail outlets.

Just ordered 42030 to build and play with! I've watched a few YouTube vids and it looks like too much fun not to:

Lego Technic arrived after I was a kid so most of the pieces are unrecognisable as Lego to me. Looks like fun stuff with all the gearing, motors, servos etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 42030 is a fantastic set. The only downer is lack of proportional RC control. Aside from neutral, it's full speed forward or reverse, full lock left or right. That leads to somewhat jerky movements, but the bucket lift and tilt movements are very realistic.

I prefer the 42043 for playability and realism of drive-train, steering, suspension and pneumatic functions.

Mrs has started the usual "what do you want for Christmas".

A daft ritual we always do and although we say year after year no more it continues.

Easy for me really, OH will earmark a coat, boots, some Clarins etc. she'll have put off buying to give me a chance:D
I however really need nothing or can think of anything I want.

The above 2 vehicles are now going to be forwarded to santa as suggestions.

Does the Merc drive forwards and backwards smoothly and turn its wheels smoothly, are these controlled by a rheostat?

Almost 3000 pieces too, that won't be finished on Boxing day then will it? :D

I will relay my "want" now and report back on the reaction!!

The 42030 is a fantastic set. The only downer is lack of proportional RC control. Aside from neutral, it's full speed forward or reverse, full lock left or right. That leads to somewhat jerky movements, but the bucket lift and tilt movements are very realistic.

The video above has a fix for this: The Power Functions Speed Remote. Just use that for the drive and steering and the supplied remote for the bucket. I'll grab one once I've built it.

Does the Merc drive forwards and backwards smoothly and turn its wheels smoothly, are these controlled by a rheostat?
The Merc is not radio-controlled. It moves and steers as smoothly as your hand.

I've got a nasty feeling I'm going to look at this thread on day, and find I made some investments the previous night whilst intoxicated.

The Merc is not radio-controlled. It moves and steers as smoothly as your hand.

Ah thanks James, I'd go for the one Tony is getting then plus that remote.

Saw the new Porsche too, £100 more expensive, that doesn't seem to mention R/C either.

Problem is, with 2000+ bits on the dining room table and a cat who "putts" everything off it that it can find then a "pee" break could be a problem :D

Saw the new Porsche too, £100 more expensive, that doesn't seem to mention R/C either.
The Porsche has neither RC or Power Functions, though I understand it has a rather nifty multi-ratio transmission that can be shifted like the real thing. For the asking price, I think there are other sets with better intrinsic value. If the exterior was less Frankenstein-like and had more custom pieces to make it look better, I'd collect one. But this one I'll pass, unless the price is halved.

Problem is, with 2000+ bits on the dining room table and a cat who "putts" everything off it that it can find then a "pee" break could be a problem :D
I tip most of the pieces onto a large dining tray with raised edges. It's much easier to keep pieces from going stray. My cats like to help too.

I do find the Lego sets variable; some look really good to me, some clunky and just not right. The Porsche being one that just doesn't capture the look of the real thing, it had too many gaps at the front. I saw one built at the Manchester Arndale store and, whilst bigger than I was expecting, it doesn't really work to my eye. Same issue with the #2 build of the 42030 Volvo, the dump truck thing, it is just too skeletal to the point it looks like it is missing quite a few pieces.

One thing I'm trying to do with this collecting/investing thing is only to buy sets I think are really good. It doesn't matter if I'm interested in the subject matter, it just needs to look right. By saying that everyone may do that and the more clunky ones may end up being the rare and valuable ones!

PS If looking for something really cool to build and play with the Mindstorms EV3 Robot looks like a lot of fun, especially for the computer geeks here. Probably not the best long-term investment as it will no doubt be tied to some degree to current computer tech (iPad apps etc), so may not be as useable in a decade or so, but as a build and use it looks great!

One thing I'm trying to do with the collecting/investing thing is only to buy sets I think are genuinely really good. It doesn't matter if I'm interested in the subject matter, it just needs to look right. By saying that everyone may do that and the more clunky ones may end up being the rare and valuable ones!
That's always a possibility. The less (initially) desirable ones don't sell as much and become much rarer. But therein lies the difference between collecting and investing. I buy only the sets that I like, and where I can see corresponding intrinsic value. I love larger Technic sets, especially those with Power Functions. I've also recently taken to the Creator sets, for their authenticity, detail and "expert" build complexity.

advertisement

Back