advertisement

The PFM Environment thread

Wood from Finland

Sustainable forest management means the managed utilization of forests in ecologically, socially, economically and culturally sustainable way.

In Finland the forest is growing almost 110 Mio cubic meter of wood per annum and the total harvesting is only about 70 Mio cubic meter. Finland has been practicing sustainable forest management for a long time. Destruction of forests was prohibited by the very first Forest Act in 1886. Forest owner must ensure that a new forest is established to replace the one felled.

https://woodfromfinland.fi/sustainability/

Want to make forestry sustainable? Look to the Nordics

Forests help the environment and provide bountiful resources. But they must be properly managed. The world could take a cue from the Nordic countries, where sustainable forestry is the norm.

https://www.upmpulp.com/media/blogs...ake-forestry-sustainable-look-to-the-nordics/

not to mention the millions and millions of rural homes that either are on their own septic tank, the contents of which just seep into the soil and from there into the water courses, or, an equal number who were built 1/200 years back when all sewage simple drained via a tank straight into a farm ditch and from there, a few hundred yards to the nearest stream.
There's not much harm done after raw human sewage has been in the ground a few weeks and on a small scale....with isolated rural properties, the outfall is probably not measurable, but it all adds up.
However compared to the run off from forestry and farming?

Blimey.

I run two cars with V8 engines, we have oil central heating, two gas patio heaters and now I’m killing the planet with my septic tank.

All I can say is good job I haven’t got any children…

New North Sea exploration for gas and oil.
Looks very much like the slimy hand of Rees-Mogg, using current energy crisis as an excuse to give more opportunities for himself and his buddies to profit from new projects which will not deliver for at least 10
years.

What can we expect from a financier with virtually no relevant education?

There seriously needs to be a basic education level required for anyone responsible for a post such as his; a history degree is not enough.

What can we expect from a financier with virtually no relevant education?

There seriously needs to be a basic education level required for anyone responsible for a post such as his; a history degree is not enough.
Who would decide the level? And which degree would be enough?

Your thoughts are, in my view, both relevant and if implemented, would be beneficial. That said, no degree or other formal educational qualification is necessarily a good qualification for a job or post.

New North Sea exploration for gas and oil.
Looks very much like the slimy hand of Rees-Mogg, using current energy crisis as an excuse to give more opportunities for himself and his buddies to profit from new projects which will not deliver for at least 10
years.

Like it or not the world needs fossil fuel energy for decades to come. Replacement energy sources do not exist on the scale required to support the current global population. You cannot switch off fossil fuel energy overnight without billions of people dying.

Given this unpleasant reality it makes sense to find and develop any remaining domestic resources if possible, as the alternative will be importing it which uses even more energy for liquefaction and long distance transportation. The remaining exploitable resources in the North Sea are likely to be very small in comparison to the historically produced resources.

This is depressing — the World Wide Fund for Nature just released its Living Planet Report 2022.

Monitored populations of wildlife — mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians and fish — have fallen by 69 percent since 1970. What a massive decline over the span of not even one average human lifetime.

Joe

The Scottish farmed salmon industry is using loopholes to cover up evidence of environmental harm, poor animal welfare and high levels of disease, an investigation has found.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...ing-loopholes-to-cover-up-harm-report-alleges

Unfortunately I don't think there is anything new in this - just need to add Scottish farmed salmon to the same list of things not bought as anything containing palm oil.........

Regarding eating less meat - as I keep saying cows are simply not efficient and nothing we can do will change that - they don't run on lithium ion batteries!!!!!!! Growing stuff to feed cows is, in reality, madness.

I was watching a farming programme on the TV last night where a farming family were investing £100k in a dairy products making facility with the aim of selling direct to the public. Given the dairy industry has been contracting for years maybe it's time to branch out and away from cows if you really want to future proof??? I must have another chat with our friendly pig farmer who I know is struggling with costs...........

Regards

Richard

I think it seems to be the pratice of avoiding inspections that's new. The long slow harvesting is adding to the dangers

:D it looks like you don't like milk too much

You should see how much butter I pile on a piece of toast.............

It is a simple efficiency thing - we could grow edible crops and feed them direct to ourselves rather than via say a cow.

I also like bacon and sausages but pigs aren't efficient either.

Regards

Richard

:D it looks like you don't like milk too much
There was an interesting report by the Hot or Cool Institute published last year looking at the projected reduction curves required to get lifestyles to the level required to hit only 1.5c warming (1.5-Degree Lifestyles Report). You can see the curve at 21 minutes in this YouTube presentation:
As a global average, to be on track by 2030 we need to reduce our lifestyles to a 'carbon budget' of 2.5 tonnes of CO2 emissions (tCO2e) per person per year.

As you can see in the video at 23m40s, for food alone current tCO2e for UK citizens is 1.59 tCO2e per person per year, of which 0.37 tonnes is dairy.

If we in the UK want our whole lifestyle consumption to be in line with the targeted average, we would need a reduction from our current 8.5 tC02e to 2.5 tC02e per person by 2030.

advertisement

Back