advertisement

The PFM Environment thread

Severn Trent gives the boss a £3.7M (reported?) bonus, and the new tax cuts will add circa £185k to that.
Their performance is dismal on leak repairs, claiming that while 1/3 of all those known about were fixed, there are now even more due to incorrect counting in the first place.
They sent out millions of text messages in the recent heatwave advising customers how to save water, stating how long it takes to treat water and get to households.
How many reservoirs have been built to counter the water shortages we are experiencing year on year since they went private?
So many things need to happen to help this, yet precisely nothing gets done of value.
Flood defence on the river simply moves the problem somewhere else (usually lower down) rather than getting it sorted at source, or allowing flood plains to do what they should (house building).

Reining in our fishing activities has always been something I believe we need to do. As a diver I have been shocked to see how little there is in the way of fish in the Med. Yesterday I read this article (link below, there is a paywall but you can usually have a few free every month) in the NYT and it just boggles and for me was spirit crushing:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...ing-south-america.html?searchResultPosition=1

For all the constant media reportage hightlighting climate change and species destruction it seems there are still so many countries that really just don't give a **** and continue plundering like there's never going to be an end.

the planet is dying. Maybe not in my lifetime. But way too little too late.

The planet will be fine. Humans are driving their and countless other species to extinction events, but other hopefully better things will evolve with time. The planet will survive. We are just another type of dinosaur. We just didn’t need a meteorite from outer space to wipe us out as we invented religion and right-wing politics. It is what it is. I’m just annoyed for the sea turtles, who are the good guys in all this.

The planet will be fine. Humans are driving their and countless other species to extinction events, but other hopefully better things will evolve with time. The planet will survive. We are just another type of dinosaur. We just didn’t need a meteorite from outer space to wipe us out as we invented religion and right-wing politics. It is what it is. I’m just annoyed for the sea turtles, who are the good guys in all this.
What about the krill?

BG220929c-small.jpg

Hawkind recorded this song in the 70s. 10 years ago someone made this video with this song and commented how in 40 years we hadn't addressed the issue despite knowing about climate change back then. James Lovelock first formulated his Gaia hypothesis in the 60s from his work with NASA which showed climate change was happening back then. I as a curious teen was able to find out about Lovelock's theories to become concerned about the environment, partly because of this song.

In the end, there is only one truth in all this, no matter how many or how diverse the separate strands around the whole debate exist.
Mankind is too populous, and mostly, too aggresive, selfish and greedy.

Divide the population of the world by 10, and do serious genetic work at birth to remove the angry ape within and mankind MIGHT be able to remain here for ever.

If No, then we should eradicate ourselves within 500 years.

The planet will be changed, but it's had a fair time to be used to that idea.

And that's me in an optimistic mood.

Most UK adults think nature is in urgent need of protection – poll
YouGov survey for major charities finds 81% believe wildlife and environment are under threat

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...k-nature-is-in-urgent-need-of-protection-poll

The problem is that individually we can be willing to change but it will never be enough unless all govermments worldwide get together and collectively decide on drastic action. We've seen how well that works at the COPs. When you have major polluters like Russia blowing up shit, China bringing NEW coal fired plants online, the USA continuing to sabotage climate initiatives and building their own new coal plants et al et al we're screwed. And then there is the Elephant mentioned above that we all try to say is not an Elephant. Population. Agree with the 'agressive, selfish, greedy' bit. A small part of me still holds hope that we will come up with some sort of technical breakthrough but I certainly wouldn't bet on it.

"The Environment Agency knew raw sewage was being illegally dumped into English rivers from wastewater treatment works a decade ago, a leaked report shows.

However, the agency’s chair told MPs in May that the practice had only recently come to light."

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...ment-agency-sewage-dumped-england-rivers-leak

Could have told them that years ago, went camping in the late 60s and after a night in a local pub had a swim on the way home.

Next morning the other three were throwing up at dawn; as we left we crossed the little tributary of the Medway and it was full of sh1t.

not to mention the millions and millions of rural homes that either are on their own septic tank, the contents of which just seep into the soil and from there into the water courses, or, an equal number who were built 1/200 years back when all sewage simple drained via a tank straight into a farm ditch and from there, a few hundred yards to the nearest stream.
There's not much harm done after raw human sewage has been in the ground a few weeks and on a small scale....with isolated rural properties, the outfall is probably not measurable, but it all adds up.
However compared to the run off from forestry and farming?

How is the UK government doing on meeting its own climate change targets? Here's the Climate Change Committee's latest progress snapshot.

'1. Overall assessment
Current plans are unlikely to put us on track for Net Zero by 2050
In June, the CCC assessed the Government’s plans for reducing emissions in all sectors of the economy. We found that only 39% of the required emissions savings are backed up by credible plans or policies.'

Same around the world, no commitment to anything vaguely likely to get there.

We should be leading to set an example; it's amazing going round the world and seeing so many old castings made in UK.

Truss may not even attend Cop(out)27 it seems...

The UK is in danger of ending its presidency of the UN climate talks next month in disunity and disarray, amid cabinet rifts on green policy, and confusion over who will attend the Cop27 summit.

Rows over climate policy threaten to hamper the UK’s ability to hold together the fragile coalition of developed and developing countries it built at the Cop26 climate summit in Glasgow last year. Failure to do so will not only cast a pall over the UK’s achievements there, but will add further tensions to already troubled global climate talks.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...uss-climate-policy-undermine-global-consensus

New North Sea exploration for gas and oil.
Looks very much like the slimy hand of Rees-Mogg, using current energy crisis as an excuse to give more opportunities for himself and his buddies to profit from new projects which will not deliver for at least 10
years.

advertisement

Back