advertisement

The PFM Bus Stop

I remember when Eastern National introduced those on the school run - much better than the cranky old double-deckers they ran on that route. They weren't half flexible though, rattling all over the country roads of the day

I grew up with these posh ones.

iu

From about 1982-84 I was a bus conductor. 25 from Ilford to Victoria mainly. Out of West Ham garage, 3 full size snooker tables, steak & chips 19p, annual dinner dance, played for the football team. Second best job I’ve had. Strictly proper Routemasters for me.

I have many stories to tell but it started with training. I was taught bus conducting in Gunnersbury by the two Ronnies, only funnier.

OAPs were quaintly called twirlies - too early - to get on the bus for free. Seems a while ago, I’m a twirly now.

I wore a boater, ruffled shirt and purple trousers with bells on. Thankfully my driver was Mike Tyson.

I remember when Eastern National introduced those on the school run - much better than the cranky old double-deckers they ran on that route. They weren't half flexible though, rattling all over the country roads of the day

Compared to a Dennis Dart SLF with Plaxton Pointer bodywork, they felt solid.

Said Pointer Darts were so flexible, one could observe the windscreens dancing around in their frame! Also, the Super Pointer Dart had to have Bonded Glazing for Structural Integrity!

Anyhoo, the DTW article mentions strength. Boy was this a strong bus:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/11794428@N05/8832919584/in/photostream

Here’s where the LN was made, now an Eddie Stobart facility

My dad moved from supermarket management to bus driving for Eastern National at Basildon in about 1975. Loved the job, great workmates, a healthy social scene for the whole family, earned more money, saw more of the family.
In 1989 my parents moved to Blackpool after buying a guesthouse there, and my dad drove buses and trams to supplement the income. Hated the place. Awful management, and, I’ll be polite, his workmates had probably exceeded their expectations by driving buses and trams. And as for the school runs, the little bastards were feral with no responsibility from anyone for their nasty behaviour. He couldn’t wait to retire.

He loved RMs, but in general, the newer the better, especially when it came to transmissions.

I have many stories to tell but it started with training. I was taught bus conducting in Gunnersbury by the two Ronnies, only funnier.

OAPs were quaintly called twirlies - too early - to get on the bus for free. Seems a while ago, I’m a twirly now.

I wore a boater, ruffled shirt and purple trousers with bells on. Thankfully my driver was Mike Tyson.
Bet that was a knockout

I suppose I had New Romantic leanings but I dressed up mainly to amuse the passengers. In those days it amused my managers too, you'd be disciplined then sacked now. I got very quick on the draw with the ticket machine, one handed of course.

There was one crew who'd driven around, occasionally on their actual route, the odd person jumping on or off but never stopping at a bus stop or issuing a ticket, for two years before being sacked.

You saw a lot of humanity on the old 25 route: Essex types, Eastenders that made the show characters mundane, City boys who wouldn't deign look at you let alone buy a ticket (I used to stand on the platform and collect their 10ps as they left), well-heeled Westenders. My other route was the 69, Woolwich Ferry up to Walthamstow, past the old dog track. That was interesting too.

My best day was a birthday party - all my friends got on at Victoria, bought a ticket, filled the bus, and we drove to Ilford and back with plenty of booze and cake, smokers on the top deck. A couple of people jumped on at traffic lights and came along for the ride.

I nearly caught the 25 from Oxford st to Ilford last year. Must try it soon. We used to get the old 266 trolley bus from gypsy corner Acton to my aunts in Shepherds Bush.
Looking back it was a pretty good green mode of transit I guess... I got images now of the poll gripping the rails,lol. Worth looking up on you tube

advertisement

Back