advertisement

The PFM Bus Stop

BTW I'm just old enough to have got the last of the steam trains out of Waterloo to Reading to see granny. Absolutely awesome things (granny and the trains).

to school was always 2 buses and 1 a train/tube. Even when we moved house the means of transport remained the same.

• Bus (48, 38 or 30) to the old Dalston Junction station - train to Camden Road - the bus to school (29 or 253)
then after we moved house​
  • Bus (107) to Edgware station - tube to Camden Town - bus to school (29 or 253)
We had free passes for our journeys

the second journey taught me to hate the tube - also used to travel evenings and weekends to Tottenham court road for part-time work.

what were you flogging in TCR, tat hi-fi, if you did I probably bought some from you

worked for Laskys - for about three years or so. Also worked in their Brent X branch. After that I moved on to Olympus Sport on Oxford Street selling tat sports equipment.

BTW I'm just old enough to have got the last of the steam trains out of Waterloo to Reading to see granny. Absolutely awesome things (granny and the trains).
When we went to see my grandmother, we took the train to James' Street station, then caught the 26 bus (the 'Shiel Road Circular') from the Pier Head to Scotland Road. My older sister was on lookout duty and could spot the bus miles off. I had undiagnosed myopia and couldn't see the bus until it was almost at the stop.

There were still steam trains running when I was a nipper; eg from Liverpool Exchange to Southport, and from Lime Street to York. I travelled on what must have been one of the last such journeys on a school trip to York in 1964 or 65.

When I was commuting a bus from either Euston or KC to all central London areas, at 6.30 am and a early finish all very stress free

An acquaintance of mine paints buses……David Stooke if you want to look him up on Facebook. Shameless plug - He’s Publishing a book of his work in the next few months.

D339-BE75-7-C19-42-A5-89-C7-D30-CCB434-DDD.jpg

38-EC4-F3-C-FD53-449-B-97-A1-4840098736-C1.jpg

D9-D51685-DC49-47-B8-9-CB3-7-B1-EEF8-BA154.jpg

45-F2-C16-D-9017-4656-B3-FE-582512-E96-C97.jpg

Our Father
Who art in Hendon
Harrow Road be Thy name
Thy Kingston come
Thy Wimbledon
In Erith as it is in Hendon
Give us this day our Berkhampstead
And forgive us our Westminsters
As we forgive those who Westminster against us
Lead us not into Temple Station
And deliver us from Ealing
For thine is the Kingston
The Purley and the Crawley
For Iver and Iver
Crouch End

When I was a kid in Staines there were red buses, the 117 to Hounslow, and green buses, the 441 to the deep countryside like Englefield Green and round Slough to Burnham Beeches. Happy days.

Just adore those painted buses in Pakistan , saw loads of them and so colourful

I was admiring the rear doors on a red double decker yesterday .in my day in London there were no doors on the rangemaster buses

I have many stories to tell but it started with training. I was taught bus conducting in Gunnersbury by the two Ronnies, only funnier.

OAPs were quaintly called twirlies - too early - to get on the bus for free. Seems a while ago, I’m a twirly now.

I wore a boater, ruffled shirt and purple trousers with bells on. Thankfully my driver was Mike Tyson.
Did you ever have anyone famous on your bus? BTW what was the origin of ‘twirliest’?

When we went to see my grandmother, we took the train to James' Street station, then caught the 26 bus (the 'Shiel Road Circular') from the Pier Head to Scotland Road. My older sister was on lookout duty and could spot the bus miles off. I had undiagnosed myopia and couldn't see the bus until it was almost at the stop.

There were still steam trains running when I was a nipper; eg from Liverpool Exchange to Southport, and from Lime Street to York. I travelled on what must have been one of the last such journeys on a school trip to York in 1964 or 65.
26 anti clockwise, 27 clockwise-still running..

An acquaintance of mine paints buses……David Stooke if you want to look him up on Facebook. Shameless plug - He’s Publishing a book of his work in the next few months.

D339-BE75-7-C19-42-A5-89-C7-D30-CCB434-DDD.jpg

38-EC4-F3-C-FD53-449-B-97-A1-4840098736-C1.jpg

D9-D51685-DC49-47-B8-9-CB3-7-B1-EEF8-BA154.jpg

45-F2-C16-D-9017-4656-B3-FE-582512-E96-C97.jpg
that third one looks just like the one in the St Trinians film where they took them to Paris with Terry phillips . almost identical

Did you ever have anyone famous on your bus? BTW what was the origin of ‘twirliest’?
Because pensioners could only use their bus passes after 9am. Before that, the conductor/driver would say, 'Sorry love, you're too early [twirly]'.

Our local rag when we lived in That London was the South London Mercury, and they had a column aimed at pensioners, entitled 'Mercury Twirly Birds'.

Tonight in Edinburgh, a black liveried Routemaster, crimson velvet curtain pulled round the rear platform.

s5RpfF8.jpg

Is Morticia Adams visiting for the Festival?

The Tory leadership bandwagon is in Scotland so necromancy is called for.
That would a great Fringe show. Just a pity that Tory stalwart Councillor Moira Knox crossed the Styx into the underworld some time ago, otherwise she could have given them a great punt. Her previous comments on shows included “it’s a dirty minded disgrace” and “they’ll be going to the toilet on stage next”. Quite apt in this case.

advertisement

Back