advertisement

The Music Room Glasgow - any feedback?

simon g

Older, wiser but no longer retired
I recall that a good few years back there were several negative experiences with The Music Room reported on a couple of forums. As I'm contemplating a purchase from them and they're too far away to visit, I was wondering if anyone had any recent experience, good or bad, with them? After sales and service support is of particular interest. Thanks.

I've had a couple of things over the years - found them choosy (on my behalf) and polite. I'd shop with them again.

I've bought many trinkets from Jack, incl some lovely Gryphon (or as Terry Ellis calls it, Griffin), and Grand Prix Audio, JPS Labs, etc.
Always a pleasure to deal with. Amusing and fairly direct Glaswegian. All positive for me, but others might feel different.
Anyway, like a lot of good dealers, if you treat them with respect (dont be a bargain hunter comparing web prices), you will get respect back.

Just out of interest, my Genelecs came with 2 year warranty extended to 5 if you registered on manufacturer website. Is that still the retailer?

Presumably linn are still trading , the point was if the manufacturer goes bust then the retailer is still there with a responsibilty .but in the first instance it would be the manufacturer

Presumably linn are still trading , the point was if the manufacturer goes bust then the retailer is still there with a responsibility .but in the first instance it would be the manufacturer
Sure, but the retailer should act as the go-between. I've had things fixed by Rega multiple times and they always insist that the item in question has to be returned via a Rega retailer. They won't deal with you directly.

How come when I bought an LP12 from you and the platter was out of balance you told me to take it up with Linn?
I’m not franchised to linn and I honoured the 3 month warranty I provide, I pointed you to that route as linns warranty is transferable, if they had refused I would have provided a refund or replacement as I’m legally required to, but they honoured did they not ?

I’m not franchised to linn and I honoured the 3 month warranty I provide...
If you're not able to deal with Linn then how can you provide warranty service? I contacted Loud&Clear Glasgow and they sent the platter to Linn for me. Linn confirmed it was manufacturing defect and replaced the platter. Interestingly, they did not replace the platter with a brand new one but one that had tiny chips in the top edge. A second basically, but one that did not wobble.

My point is that you couldn't actually do anything as you're not a Linn retailer. Doesn't that cause problems as I assume it's the same with all of the products you sell? Like in my case where there was an issue but I had to take the thing I bought from you to another retailer for help. I understand that there is nothing better you can do but it's a problem I suspect a lot of buyers are unaware of.

Sure, but the retailer should act as the go-between. I've had things fixed by Rega multiple times and they always insist that the item in question has to be returned via a Rega retailer. They won't deal with you directly.

If you're not able to deal with Linn then how can you provide warranty service? I contacted Loud&Clear Glasgow and they sent the platter to Linn for me. Linn confirmed it was manufacturing defect and replaced the platter. Interestingly, they did not replace the platter with a brand new one but one that had tiny chips in the top edge. A second basically, but one that did not wobble.

My point is that you couldn't actually do anything as you're not a Linn retailer. Doesn't that cause problems as I assume it's the same with all of the products you sell? Like in my case where there was an issue but I had to take the thing I bought from you to another retailer for help. I understand that there is nothing better you can do but it's a problem I suspect a lot of buyers are unaware of.

I don’t know what your beef is, the easiest way to resolve it was the way I suggested for both of us, Linn are a great company to deal with and they sorted it, if there was a problem as I said earlier I would have sorted it for you.

I bought some record cleaning fluid off Jack Lawson a couple of years ago and he was very chatty. If I'd gone to many other dealers to spend £20 I doubt they'd be so friendly.

advertisement

Back